Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Skyboxes givin' me hell & another odd problem.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 

What types of maps are the best?
Inside buildings  21%  [ 3 ]
Outside areas  21%  [ 3 ]
Expansive cities  0%  [ 0 ]
Both in and outdoor  57%  [ 8 ]
Hell on Earth types  0%  [ 0 ]
Other... (feel free to be specific within your post)  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14
Topic Starter Topic: Skyboxes givin' me hell & another odd problem.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-18-2005 08:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is there a specific trick to making a skybox work? I've only gotten one to work properly so far and that was after re-making it countless times. I'm sick of screwing around with the other two, so I was just wondering if there's something special I've got to do.

And incase it matters, I'm using simple wall brushes with skybox textures to create these skyboxes.

Now for my second problem. I built a map that contains a somewhat large field, and a decent sized log cabin in it (nowhere near completed though because since my first test of the level I've been getting this problem). I go to test the map within Quake3 and there is absolutely nothing there... I'm just falling through an endless pit of nothingness. Can't walk, can't jump, can't do anything but look all around and shoot at nothing. It's not even the grayed boxes showing that no texture is there... it's literal nothingness so i see the clipping effect from the moment I spawn.

Any help on these things would be very much appreciated.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 06-18-2005 09:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some of the default "skybox textures" don't work right, the shader is missing or something, I guess. Try different ones.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-19-2005 05:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe you can make the map available for download so other people can have a look at it.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-19-2005 09:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^misantropia^ wrote:
Maybe you can make the map available for download so other people can have a look at it.

not sure which map you're wanting cuz i did mention 2 different maps (actually 3 are mentioned, but no problem with one) so i'll put them both up.
The watercave is mostly (if not completely) closed off so far to where you can't see the skybox anyway, but it has it's own various wall bugs/waterbugs everywhere. But the skybox doesn't work except in one area, and I actually want it to because it will get much more expansive than it currently is.

The cabinfield is the one that's giving me the problem that nothing exists within the map. If you look at it in radiant you'll find a small portion of the cabin has been built as well as the field/skybox and everything.

The watercave can be downloaded at
http://server3.download.filefront.com/m ... ercave.bsp

And the cabinfield can be downloaded at
http://server12.download.filefront.com/ ... nfield.bsp

Thanks for the help!

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-19-2005 11:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How about the .map file?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-19-2005 12:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you realyl cant do it, why dont you just open up one of the Quake 3 maps that came with Rad and copy/paste the sky brush. Thats sure to work.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-19-2005 02:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bork[e] wrote:
How about the .map file?

heh... oops, i kinda forgot that, i'll put'em up after i finish eating. sorry bout that.
and o'dium, if nothing else works i'll try that idea.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-19-2005 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok, i zipped up both .map files and they are at
http://download.filefront.com/3894432;0 ... 8890b23494

thanks again all that help.

Last edited by Kammesennin on 06-22-2005 11:24 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-22-2005 11:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

jesus i'm an idiot... i forgot that link times out after 5 minutes, lol. heres a link that works indefinitely.
http://download.filefront.com/3894432;0 ... 8890b23494

i will also modify the link in my previous post to this so anyone reading through doesn't click the wrong thing.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.