Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        pukka3tourney2 Beta

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-31-2005 09:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
The slime is different because its a better, new shader sir ;)

I think I tried your shader as well, that was also my first thought.
I'll try it again tonight, gotta go to work now :tear: !
Have a nice day - ...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-01-2005 02:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, is it just me or does this map scream for a shotgun? ;)

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-01-2005 05:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not completely fond of this map, yet. :) It needs to feel less awkward and should be easier to navigate, more of a cpm3a feeling. Perhaps the map would be even better without the bridges over the slime pits, because you can't slip off the sides accidentally of because of weapon knockback.

I think the ledge along the stairs to YA should be a bit wider, so you can get to the 50 hp a bit easier and intercept your opponent if he's heading for the RA.

The stair jump at RA is a nice touch. It's a quite doable jump. :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-01-2005 07:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sumatra wrote:
o'dium wrote:
The slime is different because its a better, new shader sir ;)

I think I tried your shader as well, that was also my first thought.
I'll try it again tonight, gotta go to work now :tear: !
Have a nice day - ...

Does not work for me, I have used the shader you posted..

Todtsteltzer wrote:

Thought about that, I think it's not necessary. But where would you have put it though? I want to keep the Plasma, it's very helpful in this map IMO...

Oeloe wrote:
I'm not completely fond of this map, yet. It needs to feel less awkward and should be easier to navigate, more of a cpm3a feeling. Perhaps the map would be even better without the bridges over the slime pits, because you can't slip off the sides accidentally of because of weapon knockback.

I think the ledge along the stairs to YA should be a bit wider, so you can get to the 50 hp a bit easier and intercept your opponent if he's heading for the RA.

The stair jump at RA is a nice touch. It's a quite doable jump.

You're very late, I had several alphas of this map in the past (9 to be honestly). Now it's time to kill small/minor issues, no general/major layoutchanges. If you don't like, you have to live with the actual layout ;).

thanks for comments :icon31:

sum

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-01-2005 09:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sumatra wrote:
Todtsteltzer wrote:

Thought about that, I think it's not necessary. But where would you have put it though? I want to keep the Plasma, it's very helpful in this map IMO...

Maybe my suggestions will meet with disapproval by cpm players, but I think you could skip the RG or 1 RL to get a SG in:

Version 1, no RG:
LG on current RG spot
SG on current PG spot
PG on current LG spot

Version 2, only upper RL:
LG on current spot of lower RL
SG on current LG spot

I would prefer the latter (the RLs are very close and I can't see the advantage of having two RLs), but it seems two RLs are some kind of standard in cpm duel maps... but then, I don't play cpm ;).

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 08-01-2005 09:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The shader works for me, make sure you are adding it correctly.

Last edited by o'dium on 08-01-2005 09:39 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 08-01-2005 09:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also check the console for any errors and report back here.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-01-2005 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:

There are no errors, the shader looks fine and works fine BUT in picmip-5-or-higher-mode I don't have the same result as on your shots above...

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 08-01-2005 10:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Todtsteltzer wrote:
SG on current LG spot

I like that one. But I also see a (CPMA) problem here: player 1 does a run from MH to RA in under five seconds and grabs the RL and RG along the way, meaning player 2 is now stuck with the inferior YA, LG and SG (PG?).

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 08-01-2005 10:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sumatra wrote:
o'dium wrote:

There are no errors, the shader looks fine and works fine BUT in picmip-5-or-higher-mode I don't have the same result as on your shots above...

r_picmip 16 is what people use, but as said i didn't tweak everyhting, just picmip.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-01-2005 11:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I figured it out:
If you play in vertexmode (r_vertexlight 2/1) the acid appears almost transparent...
Anyone an idea how to fix this. With other words how to make this shader look green in vertexmode :)

thanks in advance
sumatra

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 08-01-2005 11:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Since only the first stage gets processed in vertex lighted mode, set its map to a green texture.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 08-01-2005 12:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Or you could use a vertex_remapshader directive in the worldspawn that points to a single-stage vertex-lit version of the slime shader, if you would prefer to avoid changing the stage order for the lightmapped version of the shader.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 11:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shallow wrote:
Or you could use a vertex_remapshader directive in the worldspawn that points to a single-stage vertex-lit version of the slime shader, if you would prefer to avoid changing the stage order for the lightmapped version of the shader.

Is there any tutorial, or am I just invited to read the shader manual again? :)
Maybe you can explain how to in a few words...

sumatra

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 02:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"vertexremapshader" "NORMALSHADER;VERTEXSHADER"

Where NORMALSHADER is the lightmapped shader and VERTEXSHADER is the, well, vertex shader :)
Add a key/value pair to worldspawn for every shader you want remapped but give every key a unique suffix (e.g. vertexremapshader01, vertexremapshader02, etc.).

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-05-2005 01:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sumatra wrote:
Todtsteltzer wrote:

^misantropia^ wrote:
Todtsteltzer wrote:
SG on current LG spot

I like that one. But I also see a (CPMA) problem here: player 1 does a run from MH to RA in under five seconds and grabs the RL and RG along the way, meaning player 2 is now stuck with the inferior YA, LG and SG (PG?).

Ok, forget my comment about the shotgun. I played the map in CPMA (and had to realize again that I'm just too old for this kind of fast gameplay :icon32:) and although it would be nice to have a SG for vQ3, you're right that it's not necessary for CPMA.

Any progress?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-05-2005 06:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@TodtsteltzerIf you like to play this map in vq3, I'll do an extra itemset for you with SG, with only one RL and other minor adjustments.
The only issue I see by playing it vanilla is the crates on the container at upper YA. Do you play it via OSP? IIRC there is the option to callvote4 a map-cfg, right?

Progress goes like this: Small things to fix, design a ncie item-layout, for vq3 and cpma as well, release it final.

@misantropia: I still don't understand where to put
Quote:

Where NORMALSHADER is the lightmapped shader and VERTEXSHADER is the, well, vertex shader
Add a key/value pair to worldspawn for every shader you want remapped but give every key a unique suffix (e.g. vertexremapshader01, vertexremapshader02, etc.).

those lines.

:icon31:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-05-2005 08:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sumatra wrote:
@TodtsteltzerIf you like to play this map in vq3, I'll do an extra itemset for you with SG, with only one RL and other minor adjustments.
The only issue I see by playing it vanilla is the crates on the container at upper YA. Do you play it via OSP? IIRC there is the option to callvote4 a map-cfg, right?...

Thanks, but there's no need to make an extra itemset for vQ3, because you can't vote mapcfgs in OSP (or any other vQ3 mod I know) ;).

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-05-2005 08:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Todtsteltzer wrote:
sumatra wrote:
The only issue I see by playing it vanilla is the crates on the container at upper YA. Do you play it via OSP? IIRC there is the option to callvote4 a map-cfg, right?...

Thanks, but there's no need to make an extra itemset for vQ3, because you can't vote mapcfgs in OSP (or any other vQ3 mod I know) ;).

thats probably one of the biggest disadvantages of OSP regarding CPMA... :icon23:

Do you generally think it would work in Vanilla?
If so I would like to do an extra pukka3tourney2-VQ3 Version.
I want to satisfy many quakers ;)

..and sometimes even I play vanilla, just for fun..

sumatra

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 08-05-2005 08:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sumatra wrote:
@misantropia: I still don't understand where to put
Quote:

Where NORMALSHADER is the lightmapped shader and VERTEXSHADER is the, well, vertex shader

those lines.

Open your map in Radiant, select a brush that is not part of a func_group or trigger_* entity and press N to bring up the entities screen. Add a key vertexremapshader with the value textures/sumatra/sometexture_lm;textures/sumatra/sometexture_vertex

textures/sumatra/sometexture_lm is the shader you want to use in lightmapped mode while textures/sumatra/sometexture_vertex is meant for (obviously) vertex lighted mode. If you are going to remap more than one shader, don't use vertexremapshader (keys have to be unique) but vertexremapshader01, vertexremapshader02, etc instead.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-05-2005 08:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

makes things clear, thanks a lot !!!

sum

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-05-2005 09:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sumatra wrote:
Todtsteltzer wrote:
sumatra wrote:
thats probably one of the biggest disadvantages of OSP regarding CPMA... :icon23:
For mappers perhaps. OSP players are missing out on good netcode, the ability to change game modes without map restarting, no 125 fps dependance, etc etc. I guess 9 out of 10 OSP server admins has never tried a (recent) release of CPMA. :shrug:

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 08-05-2005 10:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The physics are so different though... Whatever happened to "an object in motion stays in motion"?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-05-2005 10:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can just use VQ3 physics in CPMA (/callvote gameplay VQ3).

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 08-05-2005 11:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lenard wrote:
Whatever happened to "an object in motion stays in motion"?

Friction.

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 08-05-2005 11:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HAH friction wouldn't allow you to totally change direction in the air. Also, lots of cpma'ers don't like playing in vq3 physics so they won't vote it.

Lasery Roboty
Lasery Roboty
PostPosted: 08-05-2005 12:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lenard, same thing is possible in vq3, just to a much lesser extent, besides, quake 3 isn't really good grounds for debate about realistic physics.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-05-2005 01:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

..and this thread isn't a good ground to debate different games/mods either.
It's just to discuss my map :icon31:

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 08-05-2005 01:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good point(s).

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-06-2005 02:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sumatra wrote:
Do you generally think it would work in Vanilla?
If so I would like to do an extra pukka3tourney2-VQ3 Version.
I want to satisfy many quakers ;)

..and sometimes even I play vanilla, just for fun..

sumatra

IMO your map plays great in vanilla (you may get stuck at the crates on the container at upper YA but they are not a big problem with 125+ fps ;)). When playing with four bots I made more frags with the shotgun (after I changed the item layout) than any other weapon, because there were a lot of face to face situations (which may not happen that often in tourney). That was the reason for my question about the SG.

Edit: There's a missing nodrop brush in this slime pool (entrance to RA area):
[lvlshot]http://www.todtsteltzer.de.vu/feedback/pukka3t2/pukka3t2_05.jpg[/lvlshot]

I tried to make an item set for FFA (vQ3?!) with RA/YA/MH/Quad and 1 RL. Maybe you want to give it a try: pukka3t2_todt.zip

Edit 2: I just noticed that the weapons stay in all slime pools so I think you made this intentionally. May cause some problems with the bots though.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-06-2005 10:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the itemset should work, but I was wondering how many players this map could handle. Thought about a max of 4 pl.
Should be fun, ye, but if I do a vq3-Version of this map, I want to do just one. So don't you think it might be more rewarding to design it for 1on1 play?
On the other hand I couldn't create any working 1on1-set for vanilla with only 1 RL and RA,YA,MH theme yet.
I'm still on it. I'll tell you when I got it.

But I still like the idea of designing a special Vanilla Version.
Played it few times against bots, plays well.
I want to finetune the container/crate-situation though...

More to come.

sum

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.