Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        grass in doom 3...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: grass in doom 3...

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-06-2005 12:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've made grass in Q2E, and its exactly the same as doom 3 in terms of lighting and shaders...

Anyways, my grass so far is a bunch of polygons grouped together randomly, twoSided, noSelfShadow and noShadows, with a simple alpha tested stage that still loads diffuse, specular and bump.

The problem i'm having is that everything looks fine part from one thing, its very black. Far to black for no reason really.

Whats the best type of shader to use for such a thing?

EDIT: shader

models/mapobjects/grass_patch1/grass
{
twosided
noSelfShadow
noShadows
bumpMap models/mapobjects/grass_patch1/grass_local.tga
specularMap models/mapobjects/grass_patch1/grass_s.tga
{
blend diffuseMap
map models/mapobjects/grass_patch1/grass_d.tga
alphaTest 0.5
}
}

Last edited by o'dium on 07-06-2005 12:45 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-06-2005 12:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

see:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-06-2005 01:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm... this is the doom 3 shader:

textures/decals/hangingwires2
{
nonsolid
noimpact
noshadows
qer_editorimage textures/decals/hangingwires.tga
bumpmap addnormals ( textures/decals/hangingwires_local.tga , heightmap ( textures/decals/hangingwires2_b.tga , 2 ) )
{
blend diffusemap
map textures/decals/hangingwires2_d.tga
alphatest .25
}
specularmap textures/decals/hangingwires2_s.tga
}

Different loading order, and different alpha test value... i'll try this...

EDIT: Nah, no difference...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-07-2005 12:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks to me like the grass sprites are taking their lighting info from somewhere other than where you want it, perhaps from within the brush on which the shader is applied? :shrug:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-07-2005 03:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah ignore the lack of grass lol, its a temp model because i couldn't fix this problem...

And yes, it looks a lot like the model is getting the lighting info from the wrong place :shrug:

rep
rep
PostPosted: 07-07-2005 04:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey o'dium, do you remember the videos from MacWorld when they first showed DOOM 3? Remember how moody the lighting was? It looked like a TOOL video.

Could you make Q2E like this? I think they dropped the ball with DOOM 3's lighting because there are only a few places that really show off beautiful lighting and shadows.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.