Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Dell Remote Access Card / DRAC III/XT = fun times?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Dell Remote Access Card / DRAC III/XT = fun times?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-04-2010 04:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My new(used) server has this remote management card and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this, or any similar hardware (particularly the Dell ones), if so what was the basic setup like, was it worth the trouble, etc.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-05-2010 06:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-05-2010 07:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 12-05-2010 09:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know it somewhat. At my previous job they were used as a glorified serial console and to troubleshoot boot problems.

You can probably find more info and people that work daily with this stuff on http://serverfault.com/

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-05-2010 10:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, let me ask this...it's in a server I'm going to use exclusively as a dedicated quake 3 server. Given technologies that are free now (I think) like LogMeIn and VNC, is there anything really advantageous I could do with that management card towards that effect? (aside from handling system crashes remotely)

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 12-05-2010 05:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DRAC will give you remote screen and remote media mounting options. If you're putting this in a datacenter you can make it accessible via VPN or the public IP (bleh) and use it to power up/power down and install things on the server (OS, firmware, apps).

Outside of that... that's about it. Oh and you can get some hardware health emails out of it, as well.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-05-2010 05:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Restarting in the event of a crash would be useful, and so would remote screen. I'll look into it. Sadly, public IP might be my only option, but it's not like I'm doing anything really sensitive, or anything that can be damaged by hacking. I've found a lot of the Dell Support resources for the device, but is there anywhere else I should be looking?

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 12-07-2010 10:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

VolumetricSteve, most co-lo providers will give you a serial console and a last-resort reset button that will let you troubleshoot 95% of all problems. The only times I drove up to the DC was for hardware failures.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-08-2010 12:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well my plan is to have my "datacenter" (which consists of one AMD number cruncher and one Intel dedicated server) hooked up on the weekends, so when I leave home I can still access my number cruncher and since I have this server, I figured I could protect it behind my server somewhat because both systems would be behind the DRAC card.

AMD system - ethernet - Server - ethernet - router

I figure this way, on my AMD all I need to do is configure VNC to talk to the server, then when I'm remotely controlling the server, I should also be able to control the AMD. It's nothing entirely too fancy, I just figured I'd try to make the most of what I have if it sounds plausible.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.