Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Accessing another hard drive

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Accessing another hard drive

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 07:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A freinds computer says missing NTLDR all of a sudden. So we hooked it up to my computer as a slave, but it only shows the windows folder.

Does not show Documents and setting etc.

This isnt normal is it?

We wanted to copy his pictures and music over to mine for safekeeping, but cant access the data

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 09:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Decided to format. However, when I booted off of the XP CD and went through the hoops, it DID NOT give me the option to delete the existing partition and create a new one.

Just an option to format the partion [press F]. Taking a long time to format and the HD gets very hot.

Is this a sign of a near-dead drive do you think?

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 09:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very possible. Did it show the correct size for the HD when formatting? I've found it takes about 30 mins. to format my 40g hd.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-18-2005 10:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes it showed the right size took about an hour and the machine should not be that slow.

Now after the format is done, it is showing the dark screen with the small horizontal lines and it is frozen there.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.