Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        The quietest Athlon CPU fan, but still keeps it plenty cool.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: The quietest Athlon CPU fan, but still keeps it plenty cool.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-28-2005 01:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok Ive had a damn nuff of this noisy fan. Volcano 12 or something. So I want the quietest fan for an Athlon 3200 as possible, but still can keep the sucker cool. It was O/C'd but not anymore. So its gonna run stock. What are your suggestions?

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 03-28-2005 01:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cheap water cooler system .. velly velly quiet

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 03-28-2005 07:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The various options for price points are:

Budget - Zalman's copper sinks, see here: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/ ... n_121.html (the top ones). About 25 quid.

Mid-range - Waterchill value cooling kits (water). See here: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/ ... _Kits.html (mid way down page)

High-end - Zalman reserator fanless water cooling (this thing is the fucking bomb) http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/ ... thers.html

You can also get a water-cooled 480W PSU from zalman which runs from the reserator. If you really want a (genuinely) silent system, that's the way to go.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 03-28-2005 08:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-28-2005 09:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i would go with the silent boost, or water cooling same as Ax siad..

But remember, Water cooling is reletivly Expensive and Does need attention once and a wile. wile Air only needs you to clean it out once and a wile..

PostPosted: 03-28-2005 10:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does you vulcano 12 have a rpm control knob? My Vulcano 9 is set to 2500rpm and its pretty quiet.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 03-28-2005 12:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:
Does you vulcano 12 have a rpm control knob? My Vulcano 9 is set to 2500rpm and its pretty quiet.

You should consider having your hearing checked. I had a 9 as did a friend of mine and even on 2500 RPM those fans are deafening.

-SKID-: If you're running it stock then a stock HSF is adequate. Its what I used on my Athlon and what I'm using still on my A64. No problems here :shrug:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-28-2005 09:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It does have a control knob, and it is turned down. But its still noisy as hell. I think I threw away the stock HSF that came with it. :paranoid: But I would rather have an aftermarket fan on it anyway. Watercooling is too big of a step, I dont need to take the silence that far. Just a nice quiet fan that will do its job.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 03-28-2005 09:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Vantec line is pretty good.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 06:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was pretty disappointed w/ my Vantec. When I replaced mine with the Silent Boost I posted above, my temps and noise level both dropped considerably.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.