Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Windows XP suddenly stopped recognizing USB 2.0 ports

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Windows XP suddenly stopped recognizing USB 2.0 ports

guru
guru
PostPosted: 06-23-2010 07:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Literally out of the blue this happens - I hook up my camera to the computer to download the pics, and it gives me a message saying the device would perform better plugged into a USB 2.0 port...problem is, it was. This computer has never given my any problems like this, so I wasn't even sure where to begin. Now every device plugged into a USB port - regardless of which one, performs like it is USB 1.0 - external hard drives, whatever. Painstakingly slow transfers when you have an 8.0 GB memory card you are dumping onto the drive.

Can anyone tell me how, exactly, I can verify that a port is recognized as a USB 2.0 port or how to verify that it is performing as a USB 2.0 port?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-24-2010 09:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Check to make sure your USB device drivers/chipset drivers are working in control panel. Check your BIOS settings, there may be one to enable USB 2.0

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-25-2010 09:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I recently fixed this problem on a friend's computer by simply going into the Device Manager, selecting the USB listing (which had a yellow question mark) and right-click -> Scan For Hardware Changes and installed the drivers "from the internet" (just choose the default setting for driver search).

I went through the trouble of searching the web (and Dell's site) for drivers and it turned out that the easiest method (Device Manager) was the one that worked.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.