Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Server 2008 users..

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Server 2008 users..

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-28-2010 10:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm having this weird issue with my server, Whenever you try to switch users on it the thing hard locks.

the only response you'll get out of it is a ping, nothing more.

The two times that i can trip it every time is:

1) When a local user had logged in prior using remote desktop, then tries to log in locally at the machine

2) When you're logged in as a local user, and click on switch user.

The server is a HP netserver Lp 1000R, 933mhz X2, 2gigs SD, a few scsi drives running software raid 1, nothing to fancy but great for what i use it for.

if anyone has any ideas or somewhere to look, that's be great.
Thanks guys.

(ohh! ps! nothing shows in event manager when it Does lock up... the logs stop. )

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-28-2010 11:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's.... interesting. I was working with a a Server 2008 machine for a few months and never noticed this issue (we had a lot of remote desktop / switch user events going on all the time).

Doesn't MS have anything written about this at all?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-29-2010 07:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Honestly, Nothing that i can find.

I've updated the server again fully last night, and it continues to happen.

before last nights update, the machines uptime was 50+ days without an issue.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-29-2010 03:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone know of a legit Microsoft forum or something where i can post about the issue and seek some assistance?

i don't have a support Contract, and i got the license via a student MSDN.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 06-29-2010 08:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-30-2010 07:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bam! posted!

Now lets see how much it gets ignored :)

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 06-30-2010 08:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

good luck mister man

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-30-2010 10:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why thank you ax, though, i dont think luck has to do with it..

i'm just waiting for people to post "omg! That server is to slow!" :D

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 06-30-2010 10:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'll take a guess and say the latest MS update hosed your system

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-30-2010 12:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it has done it since a fresh install, up to and including all updates.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 07-06-2010 07:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well...what does it do differently to switch users rather than logging out? Does that functionality piggy back onto hibernating? Could try putting it into hibernate to possibly narrow down the issue.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-06-2010 11:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AmIdYfReAk wrote:
Bam! posted!

Now lets see how much it gets ignored :)

i'm posting here only to ignore this thread :p

glad u got it sorted

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-06-2010 06:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i wish it was sorted, all i got in the thread was a link to post it in another forum.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 07-07-2010 07:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AmIdYfReAk wrote:
i wish it was sorted, all i got in the thread was a link to post it in another forum.

:D

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 07-07-2010 03:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:)

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 07-07-2010 10:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Check TCP offloading settings and turn it off if it's enabled.

Go into MSConfig and turn off *everything* under startup items that's not essential MS stuff.

Try updating the graphics drivers to the latest direct from the vendor.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-08-2010 08:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
Check TCP offloading settings and turn it off if it's enabled.

Go into MSConfig and turn off *everything* under startup items that's not essential MS stuff.

Try updating the graphics drivers to the latest direct from the vendor.

C:\Users\Amidy>netsh int tcp show global
Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters
----------------------------------------------
Receive-Side Scaling State : disabled
Chimney Offload State : disabled
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : disabled
Add-On Congestion Control Provider : ctcp
ECN Capability : disabled
RFC 1323 Timestamps : disabled

and its disabled in the adapter.

The video card is a ATI Rage XL, and if you can find drivers newer then: 5.10.2600.6009 dated: 12/28/2001 I'd be interested :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-11-2010 08:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No change at all, with anything that i've done...

i've also cooled off on trying stuff, 30min start up times gets old, fast.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-18-2010 06:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AmIdYfReAk wrote:
Honestly, Nothing that i can find.

I've updated the server again fully last night, and it continues to happen.

before last nights update, the machines uptime was 50+ days without an issue.

have you tried removing the update and those subsequent, if you can?

so, you have a user logged in remotely and then when they log out the same user cannot then log in locally? are you actually logging out the remote user or just disconnecting from the session? also, why do you have users logging in locally at all? i'm assuming the user is you as admin. the fact that you aren't seeing any event id's leads me to believe it's a compatibility issue with the server hardware and server 2008.

only advice i can give on running older hardware with current server tech is updating all bios and firmware for EVERYTHING that is connected to the mainboard. from what i've found in a quick search at hp, there aren't any published drivers for a windows server os later than server 2000 so you may be on your own. but if you can get remote access to work, i don't see the point to login locally.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 07-21-2010 09:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Microsoft yesterday released the first public betas of Service Pack 1 (SP1) for their Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 operating systems

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 betas can be downloaded for free here, but you must choose "IT Worker" as your occupation in the qualification questionnaire as choosing anything less will not let you download it

download here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/eval ... ID=wtcfeed

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 07-21-2010 11:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks Ax.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.