Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        quake shutting down

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: quake shutting down

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-01-2005 08:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've got Quake installed and everything seems to be ok, after a few minutes in the game it experiences and problem and has to shut down. Then the error screen freezes up and i have to ctrl,alt,del to get out of it. The task screen says quakes not responding, I shut it down and get back to the desktop, but the graphics are messed up. I have to reboot to get everything back to normal. I've gone thru this many times, thinking it might have been a fluke or something, and it's always the same. the only difference is the amount of time in the game before it starts.

Any input would be helpful. Thanks

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 05-01-2005 08:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does it happen in other games?
Have you tried more demanding games than :q3: ? (Doom 3, Farcry, Half-Life 2, etc)

Did you try deleting your config file?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-01-2005 04:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no, it does not do that in any of my other games. as far as more demanding games, i don't have any of those. i do have Enter the Matrix, Starcraft, and Diablo 1 and 2. all those work fine.

What is the config file?

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 05-01-2005 06:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Which video card do you have and is it using the latest drivers?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-01-2005 07:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the video card i'm using is Geforce FX5200 Asylum 256mb AGP. I just got it and installed it yesterday. i figured it had the latest drivers, but i can check .

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 05-01-2005 07:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

C:\Program Files\Quake3\baseq3\q3config.cfg

It saves all your settings, and is the first thing to delete if you're having problems. But keep in mind you'll have to set up all your settings/binds/etc. afterwards.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 05-01-2005 08:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well if it is a new card then either drivers or the Q3 install are to blame IMO. What card did you have before, was it an nVIDIA or ATi?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-01-2005 09:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Psyche911 wrote:
C:\Program Files\Quake3\baseq3\q3config.cfg

It saves all your settings, and is the first thing to delete if you're having problems. But keep in mind you'll have to set up all your settings/binds/etc. afterwards.

ok will try that. the drivers i got from NVIDIA are for all GeForce cards nothing specific for my particular card.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-01-2005 09:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kills On Site wrote:
Well if it is a new card then either drivers or the Q3 install are to blame IMO. What card did you have before, was it an nVIDIA or ATi?

the card i replaced was also NVIDIA just an older model.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 05-01-2005 10:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Learn the wonders of DriverCleaner:
http://www.drivercleaner.net/

It will remove all traces of old drivers, which solves many peoples problems. Follow the instructions and clear out all nVidia drivers (and especially ATi drivers if you ever had one of their cards installed on this Windows installation) and then install the latest drivers.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.