Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Motherboard?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Motherboard?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 12-03-2010 11:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have an Asus motherboard with an Intel CPU. Worked fine for about a year but now when I press the start button, the fans start for about a second then stop for about a second and then start again and keep running. However, the light on the monitor is orange showing no video signal. ATI video card, PCI express. ANy offers?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-03-2010 01:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

offers? I don't think anyone wants to take your broken rig off your hands....but..have you tried basic systems diagnostics? I could be a lot of things...but...I always try to fix the simple stuff first.

remove all of the cards from the system and try to reboot, if you don't have onboard video, see if you can keep an eye on your hard drive activity to see if it's booting properly.

if that doesn't do it, I'd go about resetting the bios settings to defaults and trying again with the most minimal configuration you can then just keep adding parts back in until it breaks to narrow down what the broken part is.

what's the motherboard model number? cpu model number?

*edit

have you tried just re-seating all of the components?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 12-03-2010 03:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I meant offers as to suggetions for what it could be. Forgot to mention that I unplugged all devices in case one of them was offending. Reseated Ram. Tried another power supply. Cannot get into BIOS because I have a blank screen.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-03-2010 05:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh wow...that's pretty far gone....ummm....I really hope it's not a busted cap on your motherboard, as those tend to fail over time. Can you manually reset the bios with a jumper maybe? or in lieu of that, take out the CMOS battery? And do you have another video card to test with?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-03-2010 08:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Check CMOS battery, could be out of juice.

Do you hear any POST beep warnings? Is there even a POST speaker on your mobo?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 12-04-2010 01:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No post beep

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-04-2010 10:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh....not good....at all....might be busted ram, I hope, if it's not ram, it's not looking great. Sorry man. Do you have any other ram to test it with? or try running with fewer sticks?

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 12-04-2010 02:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mobo or PSU

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 12-04-2010 05:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
mobo or PSU

This :up:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-04-2010 05:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And did you check the CMOS battery? That would actually be my best guess.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 12-05-2010 08:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm going with motherboard fried as he said he tried another PSU. Even if the CMOS battery was drained wouldn't it at least post but with all the info like time and date be wrong? Never had one go out.

edit: Seems it will fail to boot in some circumstances. Still going with MB failure.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 12-06-2010 06:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had a similar thing happen on a new computer when the P4 connector (or whatever they are calling that 4-6 prong auxiliary CPU connector now) wasn't plugged in. Most likely isn't the problem, but thats super easy to check.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 12-14-2010 01:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

checked for popped caps on the mobo ?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-14-2010 05:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

POP A CAP IN YO MOBO [LOL RACISM]

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.