Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Need sata drivers

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Need sata drivers

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-03-2011 12:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have an older computer with an MSI motherboard ms-7061. I am trying to install windows xp and it keeps saying it cannot find a hard drive. I have seen this before but I can't seem to find the sata driver for this motherboard. Can someone please help or advise. Thanks

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-03-2011 07:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Windows XP doesn't have default drivers for SATA controllers (because it's old) which is why it can't find your hard drive, it simply can't see them. During installation, you have to manually install the SATA controller driver.

First you'll have to download the SATA controller driver from MSI and then copy the driver onto a floppy or USB flash drive (IIRC, flash drives only work with XP SP2 or later and on most motherboards depending on age). Early in the Windows XP installation process, you'll see something like, "Press F6 if you need to install a RAID driver" flash on the bottom of your screen briefly. You need to hit F6 during this time, if you miss it, restart and try again. Wait for it to load and follow the instructions, it will get to a point where it will ask you to find your driver for manual installation.

You can download the driver here, though it looks like there are three motherboard models for the 7061 series, you'll need to know exactly which one you have:
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=searc ... e=download

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-03-2011 09:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think this is the case if you have an XP CD w SP3 slipstreamed. Much better SATA support included that way. You could also set your SATA bios option to 'legacy' mode and it should install OK.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-03-2011 10:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, I have an XP sp3 disk and same thing

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 01-03-2011 10:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

buy Win 7

less headache

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-03-2011 01:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Windows XP doesn't have default drivers for SATA controllers (because it's old) which is why it can't find your hard drive, it simply can't see them. During installation, you have to manually install the SATA controller driver.

First you'll have to download the SATA controller driver from MSI and then copy the driver onto a floppy or USB flash drive (IIRC, flash drives only work with XP SP2 or later and on most motherboards depending on age). Early in the Windows XP installation process, you'll see something like, "Press F6 if you need to install a RAID driver" flash on the bottom of your screen briefly. You need to hit F6 during this time, if you miss it, restart and try again. Wait for it to load and follow the instructions, it will get to a point where it will ask you to find your driver for manual installation.

You can download the driver here, though it looks like there are three motherboard models for the 7061 series, you'll need to know exactly which one you have:
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=searc ... e=download

I tried all 3 of these on floppies after pressing F6. Each time it says "the file txtsetup.oem" could not be found. What to do now

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 01-03-2011 01:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

read my post above.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-03-2011 01:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tried SATA legacy (IDE) mode?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-03-2011 01:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cant find an option for that in bios

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 01-03-2011 01:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

try AHCI mode

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 01-03-2011 01:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

try under boot options or somewhere in advanced options.

sry, i'm an asus lad not msi

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-03-2011 02:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cannot find ahci anywhere in bios have searched and searched

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-03-2011 02:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been downloading and downloading sata drivers. Finally found the right one and it works from the floppy. Thanks to all for help

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 01-03-2011 02:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

glad you got it sorted

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-04-2011 12:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

glad you didnt buy win7

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 01-04-2011 02:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:shrug:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.