Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Mutliplayer Setup Problems: Help Needed

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Mutliplayer Setup Problems: Help Needed

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-10-2011 02:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Greetings,

I'm having problems connecting my laptop and desktop computer to participate in a mutliplayer game.

I have a copy of Quake 3 on each machine, and both share the same modem, but every method of connecting them together that I have tried has failed.

I've tried starting a game on one machine, then specifying the IP address on the other, but it never connects, and just continues to display "awaiting connection".

I've also then tried setting up a dedicated server, both LAN and Internet. After doing this, the console is brought up on my machine, but then I cannot connect either machine to the game I just created. If I then use either machine to check for local servers, it never finds any.

Am I doing something obviously wrong? I've read some guides on setting multiplayers up, including the one on this site, and I believe I've followed them correctly, but I'm still having no joy. Surely if two machines share the same connection, and the same game, I should be able to connect them in order to play one against the other?

Thanks for listening. I hope someone can see the error of my ways, or provide a soltion to my problem.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-10-2011 03:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you have any firewall software (including windows' own firewall) running and enabled on the host system?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-10-2011 06:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My desktop, which is running XP has Windows firewall, and my laptop, which is running Windows 7, has a Windows firewall as well. Should I make sure it is switched off on both machines?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-10-2011 07:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't turn it off, but make an exclusion for Quake3.exe

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-10-2011 09:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I checked both machines for firewall settings and made sure that Quake 3 was on the exceptions list. I then tried to start a multiplayer between the two machines, but am still having no luck.

What do you advise for setting up a LAN multiplayer between my two machines?

What I have tried is to "Create" a game on one machine, then on the other machine, "Specify" and enter the IP address. Is that right? Or do I need to do something else?

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-10-2011 09:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No expert but does he need to enable port 27960 or sumthing or specify a port?

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 08-14-2011 06:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

make sure both computers are in the same workgroup

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 08-14-2011 07:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One other thing to check.

Try disconnecting from the internet - In the past when we tried to play on our home lan, the client systems would not connect to the server because they all had the same CD key.

Without a internet connection, id's master server was unavailable to authenticate the game and after a short timeout everyone was able to connect.

It's a long shot.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-15-2011 12:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not sure CD keys are even checked for non-Internet games?

oh yeah!
oh yeah!
PostPosted: 08-20-2011 09:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

JPBrenner wrote:
Greetings,

I'm having problems connecting my laptop and desktop computer to participate in a mutliplayer game.

I have a copy of Quake 3 on each machine, and both share the same modem, but every method of connecting them together that I have tried has failed.

I've tried starting a game on one machine, then specifying the IP address on the other, but it never connects, and just continues to display "awaiting connection".

I've also then tried setting up a dedicated server, both LAN and Internet. After doing this, the console is brought up on my machine, but then I cannot connect either machine to the game I just created. If I then use either machine to check for local servers, it never finds any.

Am I doing something obviously wrong? I've read some guides on setting multiplayers up, including the one on this site, and I believe I've followed them correctly, but I'm still having no joy. Surely if two machines share the same connection, and the same game, I should be able to connect them in order to play one against the other?

Thanks for listening. I hope someone can see the error of my ways, or provide a soltion to my problem.

Can you explain more what you mean by sharing one modem? Do you have a modem connected to a router? Are both PCs in the same VLAN/Subnet? Or is PC1 connected via USB to modem and PC2 connected via Cat5 to modem? If one PC is on WIFI, make sure the IP address range is the same for your LAN connections.

Here's how it works in my house:
Code:
Modem - Router - PC1
                 - PC2
                 - Laptop on WIFI

PC1 is 192.168.1.10
PC2 is 192.168.1.11
Laptop is 192.168.1.12

Subnet is 255.255.255.0
Gateway is 192.168.1.1 -(This is the router's internal IP address)

Router "tricks" the modem into thinking only 1 PC exists in the house, and traffic is "routed" accordingly.

It sounds to me like you have a PC connected to the modem via USB and another connected via Ethernet.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-23-2011 12:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Appreciate the time and effort you took to write me a reply, but I managed to sort the problem out in the end.

I downloaded a program called Hamachi or something and did it that way.

Thanks anyway :)

no u
no u
PostPosted: 08-28-2011 03:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Axbaby had the most correct answer.

the problem is being on a lan, each computer has to use a different net_port. this is true even if he is trying to connect to an outside dedicated server with both of his lan computers.
all you need to do is change one of the computers net_port and you should be fine:
+set net_port 27950
(also perhaps try changing net_qport if the above didnt work).

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.