Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Routing Audio: Xbox 360 <--> PC

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Routing Audio: Xbox 360 <--> PC

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-19-2012 09:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

After a night I can't remember too well I wound up with an xbox 360 slim and a copy of Borderlands 2.

I have a pair of analog headsets that I want to use with the 360 but, obviously, there isn't a place to plug these in to on the back of the thing.

I decided that I would try routing the audio through the sound card on my PC and loop it back to the headsets through that which will not only act as an adapter but give me more control over the sound.

I'm running video to my monitor with an HDMI cable and popped an optical cable in for the TOSLINK port and plugged it in to the input port on the soundcard. Set the settings for audio on the 360 to 5.1.... horrid clicking noise.

If I listen to the input on the optical port I hear nothing but this rapid horrible clicking noise like a card in the spokes of a bicycle. Moving around in the 360's menu changes the pitch of the clicking for a moment.

I tried all of the audio settings on the 360 and only the non-dolby option stopped the clicking.... but the sound disappeared completely as well.

While all of this is going on, the sound output on the HDMI cable is fine. My monitor speakers are giving me sound with no issues. I wound up plugging my headsets into the monitor to get the sound from that but that doesn't solve my initial issue.

I want to use the optical port through my sound card to get the 5.1 surround working. On top of that, I also want to be able to use the mic on my headset which brings me to a quick question: Is the optical port on the 360 a 2-way port? Does it act as both input and output or is it just an output port?

EDIT: What the hell's up with all the typos I had made? Must have been tired.

Last edited by Silicone_Milk on 09-20-2012 11:36 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-20-2012 12:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dumb question maybe, but isn't there a headphones output on your TV?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-20-2012 01:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its also just output. if you want to use voice you need to do it through the xbl headset that plugs in the controller.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-20-2012 11:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It turns out that switching to non-dolby WAS letting me get sound in my headphones from the soundcard. I just had the volume turned down so low because of the loud clicking.

Still, it would be nice to get surround sound working =\ I could throw down 120 bucks on an astro mixamp but that would be lame.

Also, to get voice working I wound up getting a 1/8'' to 3/32'' adapter to plug the mic of my headset into the controller.

It totally destroys the sound quality unfortunately. There has to be a better way than this shitty setup I have going on.

Lastly, I'm not using a TV. I'm using my computer monitor (which does have output, but it's output from xbox -> monitor -> headphones and I want a little control with the soundcard)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.