Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        Speed of Apple Intel dev systems impress developers

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Speed of Apple Intel dev systems impress developers

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 07-16-2005 02:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
"The systems started shipping to Mac OS X developers three weeks ago, each equipped with a 3.6 GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor with 2 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz front-side bus, 1GB of 533MHz DDR2 Dual Channel SDRAM, and an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900."

Quote:
"It's fast," said one developer source of Mac OS X running on Intel's Pentium processors. "Faster than [Mac OS X] on my Dual 2GHz Power Mac G5." In addition to booting Windows XP at blazing speeds, the included version of Mac OS X for Intel takes "as little as 10 seconds" to boot to the Desktop from when the Apple logo first displays on screen

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1175

sounds promising :)

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 07-16-2005 06:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

10 seconds from when the Apple logo displays on screen on a 3.6GHz machine? My girlfriends AlPB I swear takes less than that, and it's only like 1GHz.

Getting to the Apple takes about 15 seconds though. :p

canis
canis
PostPosted: 07-16-2005 09:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm gonna buy a DVD burner, back up my system, and reformat it. Ever since moving to 10.4 I've had slow boot times that've irritated me.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 07-16-2005 02:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

goddamnit, it's not only about the boottimes....I took a part out of that article.....read it!

canis
canis
PostPosted: 07-16-2005 03:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So....about the boot times, anyone else have lengthy ones?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-16-2005 05:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"Taking a universal binary and timing its startup in Intel native speed versus its startup when opened via Rosetta results in a slowdown, but not as much as one would think," said another source. "The apps run at about 65 to 70 percent of their normal speed."

However, some PowerPC-native applications realize little to no speed reductions while running under Rosetta. A source told AppleInsider the current PowerPC version of the popular Firefox web browser loads just as fast under Mac OS X Intel as it does on a high-end dual processor Power Mac G5.

If reports are accurate, Mac users have a lot to look forward to in regards to web browsing under Mac OS X for Intel. According to sources, web browsing in general is much faster under Mac OS X for Intel than it is under the shipping version of Mac OS X for PowerPC. Web pages snap to the screen, the same way they do in Internet Explorer running on a new Pentium system, they say.

I cant see Firefox providing a definative arguement for speed - esp when compared with IE, not even used by most mac users.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 07-17-2005 02:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When the first Intelmac will come out they'll have faster CPUs (probably) and maybe Rosetta will be more tweaked......

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-17-2005 08:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that was an interesting read sat:)

you must have some quality bookmarks stashed away, AND take the time to read up.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 07-18-2005 12:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

heh....I have rss feed bookmarks and it's easy to check the headlines in firefox....I only read articles if I think it's interesting ;)

It's Sabotage!
It's Sabotage!
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 08:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i have tiger on my 1ghz pb and it runs great.... did you do a clean install canis?

canis
canis
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 08:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No. I did the archive and install. I'm going to wait until I get a DVD burner and then back stuff up before I do a fully clean install. :)

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 08:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh no! If intel macs boot quickly, then mac people won't have any way to benchmark their systems :(

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 07-20-2005 08:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.