Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        WOOHOO NEW IBOOK HAS ARRIVED

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: WOOHOO NEW IBOOK HAS ARRIVED

It's Sabotage!
It's Sabotage!
PostPosted: 08-05-2005 09:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alright! the ibook came today, it felt like xmas.... but it was so damn awesome, i was setting up OSX and it asked for my apple.com ID and i put my email address in, but i didn't have it connected to the internet and i was just sitting on the couch, and all of a sudden it puts in the rest of my info, my address, phone number, i'm liek WTF, and finally it finishes and i click safari and i'm online! But the funny thing is that I don't have a wireless router! So i guess i'm leeching off of the neighbors or something, i get full reception all over my house, it kicks a lot of ass, but tonight it wouldn't let me connect so i don't know if they blocked me or just turned their modem off. It says they don't have any WEP encryption and it says i still have full signal but it doesn't let me do anything on the net. Anyway, I got the 12" 1.33 ghz, and it is great, the screen is very decent picture and size i think. Feels very peppy with the 512 in it, but i think i'll get the 1GB stick and max it out. I just ordered this STM Rebound case from radtech and i'm ready to get a mouse

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-05-2005 10:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congrats on the purchase. I'd like to have one of those, but I really dont need one ATM. Leech off everyone who'll let you connect. Hell, it's their fault they dont block you. :)

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 08-06-2005 08:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What is the law on that? As long as you don't access their computer it's fine, or just fine in general...being it is their fault. ??

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 08-06-2005 08:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

heh, at almost every house of friends I can connect to an open wifi network. One friend uses his neighbour's secretly for surfing after I found it :)

In holland it's an gray area if you connect to an open unprotected netwerk (sort of OK), but illegal if you crack a WEP-key protected one.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-06-2005 08:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They're projecting a service into your home, so you're not overstepping any bounds by accepting that service. There arent any efforts made to prevent you from using it, such as encryption keys and other security measures, so you're not doing anything illegal by accepting it. They're naively giving it to you.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 08-06-2005 08:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that's a way to see it, but you could also say that it basically is stealing [bandwidth]. There's tons of easily available music on the internet, does that make it legal to download it?

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-06-2005 09:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I guess it's kinda like the "free cable" thing when you move into a place and someone forgot to disconnect their cable. I dont believe it's their responsibility to manage their network and secure their stuff, but it is "technically" stealing in that sense. However, you didnt go out of your way to steal it in that you planned the theft. Rather, you discovered something and didnt tell anyone about it. Heck, if they sue him over it he can use the entrapment defense. :D

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.