Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        it sucks.. to lose an ipod

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: it sucks.. to lose an ipod

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-23-2005 08:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just happened to me a few days ago. I'm totally crushed, because I lost my music collection. 7 years worth of sorting, planning music lists, extra. I hope it turns up. But I'm not holding my breath.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-23-2005 08:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that....sounds.... :(

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 07-23-2005 09:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Look on the bright side, you can buy a new video ipod when they come out. I always look for excuses to blow more money on technology

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-24-2005 01:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I did get my money worth. I originally purchased a first generation ipod from comp usa with a protection plan. Sense then, because of dead batteries and design flaws, I've gotten free upgrades to 2nd, 3rd, 4th gen.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 07-24-2005 03:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why isn't your music on your computer? :dork:

PostPosted: 07-24-2005 04:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it sucks to lose an ipod, sweet to find one somebody lost

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-24-2005 09:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I recently had to reformat my hard drive, and after that it was such a pain to copy the music back onto the computer. Plus 35 GB of music won't fit onto a a 40 GB drive. Unless I forfeit all my applications, files, extra. And the dvd-ram drive that came with my g4 is yet to be supported by os x.

It was stupid for me to be cheap and not buy a new dvd-r drive.

Frankly, I feel keeping a lost ipod is no different then stealing an ipod. Your choosing to take some thing that belongs to some one else.

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 07-24-2005 09:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

canis
canis
PostPosted: 07-24-2005 09:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If your DVD-R drive wont work with OS X, it may not be enabled. OS X has a list of supported drives, and even though most of them will work, since many of them havent been thoroughly tested, Apple restricts OS X to those that have been tested. Try using this utility to enable your drive under OS X if it isnt working already:

Patchburn: http://www.patchburn.de/
http://www.patchburn.de/download.html

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-24-2005 10:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I will try using pachburn, but considering it's specifically made for DVD-R and I have a DVD-RAM. (the one apple use to sell)

thanks for the tip canis

canis
canis
PostPosted: 07-24-2005 10:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

simple wrote:
I will try using pachburn, but considering it's specifically made for DVD-R and I have a DVD-RAM. (the one apple use to sell)

thanks for the tip canis

I think it enables all unsupported DVD-based drives, though some may have problems. My mom got her Pioneer DVR-109 working in 10.3.9 using Patchburn. The Pioneer drive is a combo DVD+/-R, RW, CD-R/RW, etc. drive.

PostPosted: 07-25-2005 11:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

simple wrote:
Frankly, I feel keeping a lost ipod is no different then stealing an ipod. Your choosing to take some thing that belongs to some one else.

I feel differently. If you really cared about your ipod you wouldn't lose it.

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 07-25-2005 02:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Canis wrote:
simple wrote:

thanks for the tip canis

I think it enables all unsupported DVD-based drives, though some may have problems. My mom got her Pioneer DVR-109 working in 10.3.9 using Patchburn. The Pioneer drive is a combo DVD+/-R, RW, CD-R/RW, etc. drive.

Yeah, but he has a DVD-RAM drive.. those things are teh suck. He'd probably be better off investing in an apple-supported DVD+/-RW drive. I think RAM media still costs an arm and a leg compared to normal DVD media

canis
canis
PostPosted: 07-25-2005 07:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My DVD-RAM drive came in and it works flawlessly with my comp...

I'd at least try Patchburn to see if it will enable the drive. Worst case scenario would be the drive doesnt enable, or gets enabled but wont burn properly. Either way it wont hurt the hardware or his OS.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-31-2005 02:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

simple wrote:
Just happened to me a few days ago. I'm totally crushed, because I lost my music collection. 7 years worth of sorting, planning music lists, extra. I hope it turns up. But I'm not holding my breath.

You had your music collection on your ipod only ?

/LilliZ

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 07-31-2005 04:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LilliZ wrote:
simple wrote:

You had your music collection on your ipod only ?

/LilliZ

I think he covered that already...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 08-09-2005 11:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dang it! now one of my drives in my tower has died, and the hard drive in my ibook. Serusly :(

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-09-2005 11:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well you're not telling us the problem beyond the end result. The only thing we can do to help is refer you to your local apple store for servicing.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 08-10-2005 07:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well I don't think there is any thing that can be done. When a drive dies, it's dead.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-10-2005 08:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok then...the apple store should be your happiest solution.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.