Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        Dashboard Widgets

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Dashboard Widgets

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 12:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They really hoard memory in Tiger. I have the weather, Wikipedia, Dictionary, Translation widgets and they use 40 megs or Ram each!

I use them a lot, but I can notice after using my mac for a while that it's slowing down the system. I have 768 mb Ram btw.

There's no way to force quit the Dashboard from time to time?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 04:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DO you need them open all the time? If not I'd suggest closing them (or at least closing the leaset used ones) if memory use is a concern, or at least regretting not having bought a 1g stick for that 12"... Just a pity 1g SODIMMs are so expensive outside the US :/

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 05:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haven't I told ya already that Versiontracker is your friend? :icon25:

I went there, search for Dashboard and from the first page list I saw these two:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26692

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26899

(There might be more and I don't use Tiger yet meself so no idea how well these work)

cheers

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 06:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bag0shite wrote:
DO you need them open all the time? If not I'd suggest closing them (or at least closing the leaset used ones) if memory use is a concern, or at least regretting not having bought a 1g stick for that 12"... Just a pity 1g SODIMMs are so expensive outside the US :/

Most of them come in handy while surfing the internet. It's just when they're fired up, they stay open till you put the powerbook to sleep. And they leak memory.

getting another 256 mb would have set me back 200 euro's extra so, neh.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 06:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

codey- wrote:
Haven't I told ya already that Versiontracker is your friend? :icon25:

I went there, search for Dashboard and from the first page list I saw these two:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26692

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26899

(There might be more and I don't use Tiger yet meself so no idea how well these work)

cheers
I check versiontracker a lot :)

It's a nice widget manager, just for removing or disabling widgets from the list. But the activated widgets still hog memory ;p

Tiger is working fine, except from some quirks from time to time. I've used Shapeshifter to get rid of all that brushed metal, and it's all Panther Aqua again.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 06:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oops, there's a Reload Dashboard option. My bad!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 09:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd avoid shapeshifter too since there's a slight hit with that plus none of the themes (IMO) look any better than the default aqua look. And AFAIK all of the themes have some fault/quirk, nevermind the fact they need updating when Apple *fix* things through software updates.

The only customising i find essential is taking that god-awful background off the dock and being able to pin the dock anywhere other than dead centre on the left/right/bottom.

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 11:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I used Shapeshifter for awhile after getting Tiger, mainly since I bought it and felt like I needed to get my money's worth. Then I realized I was switching themes every 2 days, because none of them were as perfect as Aqua; they all missed skinning some things, or just broke entire UI styles. Back to Aqua, paired with cleardock and Candybar.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 11:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have Shapeshifter with Aqua, though the XiDG_Albook theme+icons is very good. Also Cleardock idd, Candybar and Pixadex for all those icons I've downloaded. Deskshade for easy wallpaper changes.

i'll just post a screenshot I guess :>

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 11:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[lvlshot]http://www.xs4all.nl/~divid/images/powerbookdesktop1.jpg[/lvlshot]

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 11:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hadn't noticed the memory hit, but then again I have 2 gigs of RAM.

Dashboard widgets are supposed to put themselves to sleep when you're not using them; and "top" seems to agree with that.

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 12:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

40 megs?

Excuse me? I thought they were supposed to have a "smaller footprint than a full-grown application" or somesuch? Ugh.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 12:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:

Well if you like that, fair enough :) Plain fucking ugly if you ask me...

[lvlshot]http://www.gfxdesign.eclipse.co.uk/may0805.jpg[/lvlshot]

And yes, 'top' does confirm geeb's comment.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 02:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

taste differs, cause yours is just plain....boring.

wtf is 'top'?

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 02:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SplishSplash wrote:
40 megs?

Excuse me? I thought they were supposed to have a "smaller footprint than a full-grown application" or somesuch? Ugh.

do you even have a mac SS, you do seem to comment a lot on Mac systems all the time

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 06-10-2005 04:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
top(1) top(1)

NAME
top - display and update sorted information about processes

SYNOPSIS
top [-a | -d | -e | -c <mode>]
[-F | -f]
[-h]
[-k]
[-L | -l <samples>]
[-o <key>] [-O <skey>]
[-R | -r]
[-S]
[-s <delay>]
[-T | -t]
[-U <user>]
[-u]
[-W | -w]
[-X | -x]
[[-n] <nprocs>]

DESCRIPTION
The top program periodically displays a list of processes on the system
in sorted order. The default key for sorting is pid, but other keys
can be used instead. Various output options are available.

OPTIONS
Command line option specifications are processed from left to right.
Options can be specified more than once. If conflicting options are
specified, later specifications override earlier ones. This makes it
viable to create a shell alias for top with preferred defaults speci-
fied, then override those preferred defaults as desired on the command
line.

-a Deprecated, equivalent to -ca.

-c <mode>
Set event counting mode to <mode>. The supported modes are:

a Accumulative mode. Count events cumulatively, starting
at the launch of top. Calculate CPU usage and CPU time
since the launch of top.

d Delta mode. Count events relative to the previous sam-
ple. Calculate CPU usage since the previous sample.

e Absolute mode. Count events using absolute counters.

n Non-event mode (default). Calculate CPU usage since the
previous sample.

-d Deprecated, equivalent to -cd.

-e Deprecated, equivalent to -ce.

-F Do not calculate statistics on shared libraries, also known as
frameworks. This substantially reduces the amount of processor
time top consumes.

-f Calculate statistics on shared libraries, also known as frame-
works (default).

-h Print command line usage information and exit.

-k Deprecated (does nothing). This flag used to turn on memory ob-
ject reporting for process 0 (kernel_task), but this is now done
by default.

That's "top". It's a process viewer for nerds.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-11-2005 02:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:
Hmmm ... that looks like the girl I dated last week. :p

Top is fine for nerds but for us muppets that know shite bout such stuff there's always the Activity Monitor app in the Utilities folder (unless it's removed in Tiger) :)

cheers

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 06-11-2005 10:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:
SplishSplash wrote:
40 megs?

do you even have a mac SS, you do seem to comment a lot on Mac systems all the time

Nah, I just follow the news. I like macs.

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 06-11-2005 01:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Now that saturn has a mac, he's getting uppity and snobish

SOAPboy wrote:
You happen to be out of your league when it comes to games.. so fuck off..

GONNAFISTYA wrote:

I saw
the "Fist Signal" and
came runnin.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-11-2005 02:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol... we're elitists. I figured you'd have guessed that ;-D

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 06-11-2005 03:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't have to tell me.. I have three macs :paranoid:

SOAPboy wrote:

GONNAFISTYA wrote:

I saw
the "Fist Signal" and
came runnin.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-11-2005 03:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hehe... I've just got the two (but I have three Windows systems!)

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-11-2005 03:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

codey- wrote:
saturn wrote:
Hmmm ... that looks like the girl I dated last week. :p

Top is fine for nerds but for us muppets that know shite bout such stuff there's always the Activity Monitor app in the Utilities folder (unless it's removed in Tiger) :)

cheers

Since Saturn seems to be in Holland and I'm just over the border in Belgaland, I have to say she looks like a girl I met tonight, except the picture has her wearing underwear :paranoid:

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 06-11-2005 05:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I only have two windows systems, but i have 3 CRTs on my desktop

SOAPboy wrote:

GONNAFISTYA wrote:

I saw
the "Fist Signal" and
came runnin.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-14-2005 12:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Top sounds a bit too complicated and nerdish for me. I have this iPulse app that is a bit over the top with dynamic viewings of your mem, disk, wifi, battery use. And you can also use it as clock. When you hover above a certain area it shows you more information:

[lvlshot]http://www.xs4all.nl/~divid/images/powerbookdesktop2.jpg[/lvlshot]

Btw, the App Monitor doesn't work. It loads and closes again. Weird.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-14-2005 12:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Now that saturn has a mac, he's getting uppity and snobish

But as Padawan I'm merely following your path, oh Master Dave :confused:

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-14-2005 12:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

NCG_Mike wrote:
Since Saturn seems to be in Holland and I'm just over the border in Belgaland, I have to say she looks like a girl I met tonight, except the picture has her wearing underwear :paranoid:

MY GOD, YOU'RE BELGIAN :icon11:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-14-2005 03:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm originally from the UK, via Amsterdam (NL), Antwerp (BE), Amsterdam, Ft. Lauderdale (USA), Reading (UK) and Antwerp.

I travel a lot.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-14-2005 10:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ah....is that required for your work or do you just like to relocate from to time?

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 06-15-2005 12:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:
Top sounds a bit too complicated and nerdish for me. I have this iPulse app that is a bit over the top with dynamic viewings of your mem, disk, wifi, battery use. And you can also use it as clock. When you hover above a certain area it shows you more information:

[lvlshot]http://www.xs4all.nl/~divid/images/powerbookdesktop2.jpg[/lvlshot]

Btw, the App Monitor doesn't work. It loads and closes again. Weird.

Err, Sat, you don't suppose the reason your mac is a bit slow is all of the crap you've got installed on it? :p

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-15-2005 05:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, you mean those widgets?

It isn't that slow, but sometimes I expect just a little bit more responsiveness

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-15-2005 10:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:
ah....is that required for your work or do you just like to relocate from to time?

I'm a freelance programmer so I move when there's new work etc.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-15-2005 12:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:
lol, you mean those widgets?

It isn't that slow, but sometimes I expect just a little bit more responsiveness

I think he's talking about all the shite at the top there as well, ie stuffit etc.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-15-2005 02:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's stuffit and deskshade, the colored lines are from iPulse. That's all.

Stuffit is necessary, deskshade not.

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 06-15-2005 08:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh and saturn, why the hell do you need a wikipedia widget when you can type "site:(en|nl).wikipedia.org word-your-looking-up" in the safari or whatever search box?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.