Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        GETTING A NEW MAC

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: GETTING A NEW MAC

It's Sabotage!
It's Sabotage!
PostPosted: 08-01-2005 01:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well my knees are trembling as i'm about to press the order button for my new ibook and mac mini :) do i get the 60 gb hd or do i use the 45$ towards a 7200 rpm big big external hd?

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 08-01-2005 01:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hmmm.....get more space inside....I got 80 gb for my powerbook. It's more expensive later on if you want to expand.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-01-2005 02:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All these switchers... I dunno... :-p

PostPosted: 08-01-2005 02:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

zeeko wrote:
well my knees are trembling as i'm about to press the order button for my new ibook and mac mini :) do i get the 60 gb hd or do i use the 45$ towards a 7200 rpm big big external hd?

get both

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 08-01-2005 02:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd ditch the mini and get a powerbook instead.

It's Sabotage!
It's Sabotage!
PostPosted: 08-01-2005 03:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its always automatic that there is somebody who says to get the bigger better, but 1, i'm 18, i'm going to a 34,000$/year school and i don't really have much money for spending on computers, and 2, the ibook is like 500$ cheaper than the powerbook, and don't get me started on the 15" one (but my parents both have a 15" powerbook), and is the powerbook worth another 500$? doubtful. The ipod mini is free with rebate and i plan on ebaying it the second i get it and that should get me about 180$ which i plan on using for 1 GB ram, and and the rest of that money will go towards external monitor, wireless keyboard/mouse, case/ keyboard protector? Even though the powerbook DOES have dvi out and screen spanning standard, i can still get screen spanning with a hack for the ibook, and the new video card in it is not THAT much worse than that pile of crap nvidia 5200 card in the 12" powerbook and i've read that it actually beats it in some applications. hmm what else is there, 512 soldered ram vs 256 in the powerbook, the ibook gets better battery life, is more durable (dude it's made out of a polycarbonate composite, the stuff used in bulletproof glass :) ) and better wireless range, and in a year if i decide to get the extended warranty, it's almost 100$ cheaper than the powerbook's. The advantages the powerbook has over the ibook- faster hd, superdrive optional, 1.5 ghz vs 1.33 ghz :-/ (both suck balls). Now if i was purchasing my ibook like 6 months ago, i would have opted for the powerbook, but with the last update, i really have no reason to get the powerbook, i use a console for games, i don't do design or anything like that, i chat, surf, and write :) I have thought about the whole thing for quite awhile as i'm sure you can tell :dork:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-01-2005 03:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

NCG_Mike wrote:
All these switchers... I dunno... :-p

Yeah, it was fun being the oddball w/ the Apple.

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 08-01-2005 03:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I jumped on before the oddballs jumped on though

It's Sabotage!
It's Sabotage!
PostPosted: 08-01-2005 05:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm not a switcher you fewl, i'm typing this message on our 7 year old imac 400 mhz that has been running strong since the day we got it. I just was excited about the ibook purchase because i have been debating between staying with mac or buying a dell laptop :dork: and switching to windows/linux. I guess there really is no debate between the two from a functionality/useability/longevity standpoint. apples are fun :)

PostPosted: 08-01-2005 06:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this thread is fucking exciting

It's Sabotage!
It's Sabotage!
PostPosted: 08-01-2005 07:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

man i'm a mac disc ancient you fool

PostPosted: 08-01-2005 08:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

zeeko wrote:
man i'm a mac disc ancient you fool

sweet

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 12:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

zeeko wrote:
its always automatic that there is somebody who says to get the bigger better, but 1, i'm 18, i'm going to a 34,000$/year school and i don't really have much money for spending on computers, and 2, the ibook is like 500$ cheaper than the powerbook, and don't get me started on the 15" one (but my parents both have a 15" powerbook), and is the powerbook worth another 500$? doubtful. The ipod mini is free with rebate and i plan on ebaying it the second i get it and that should get me about 180$ which i plan on using for 1 GB ram, and and the rest of that money will go towards external monitor, wireless keyboard/mouse, case/ keyboard protector? Even though the powerbook DOES have dvi out and screen spanning standard, i can still get screen spanning with a hack for the ibook, and the new video card in it is not THAT much worse than that pile of crap nvidia 5200 card in the 12" powerbook and i've read that it actually beats it in some applications. hmm what else is there, 512 soldered ram vs 256 in the powerbook, the ibook gets better battery life, is more durable (dude it's made out of a polycarbonate composite, the stuff used in bulletproof glass :) ) and better wireless range, and in a year if i decide to get the extended warranty, it's almost 100$ cheaper than the powerbook's. The advantages the powerbook has over the ibook- faster hd, superdrive optional, 1.5 ghz vs 1.33 ghz :-/ (both suck balls). Now if i was purchasing my ibook like 6 months ago, i would have opted for the powerbook, but with the last update, i really have no reason to get the powerbook, i use a console for games, i don't do design or anything like that, i chat, surf, and write :) I have thought about the whole thing for quite awhile as i'm sure you can tell :dork:

I'm just going on experience, really; but I thought you were implying that you were going to get both an ibook and a mac mini, which I thought was a bit pointless. I've never been a big fan of the screens in the ibooks/12" powerbooks.

It's Sabotage!
It's Sabotage!
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 12:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol yea i probably should have played with one before i bought it :( but i think it will be alright

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 01:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

your ibook will look smudgy with all the fingerprints on it. My powerbook's still squeeky clean. And how the heck will you get a better wireless range.

You've thought this out thoroughly (use paragraphs next time damnit) and your point is that you wanted a powerbook but couldn't afford it so you come up with some reasons to justify your ibook purchase which is all good.

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 01:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:
And how the heck will you get a better wireless range.

http://www.google.com/search?client=saf ... 8&oe=UTF-8

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 01:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i've thought about the metal alloy case....but mostly i have good wireless reception

It's Sabotage!
It's Sabotage!
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 07:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you're just jealous saturn :icon34:

*watches saturn pound response on his 12" pb

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 07:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have friends that have the 14" ibook. Looks great, except that grey keyboard. It just doesn't fit. It should have that pearly white too.

but yeah, with the adding of BT and Airport, the ibook 12' is much more usuable. *pats his powerbook again*

It's Sabotage!
It's Sabotage!
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 08:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm probably going to get the ARCTIC BLUE iskin keyboard cover

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 08:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

won't that screw up the tactile feedback from your keyboard?

It's Sabotage!
It's Sabotage!
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 11:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

naa i've heard it is a perfect fit and makes it type smoother and pretty much silent, but i'm going to buy it from somewhere i can take it back if i don't like it. I'll tell you how i like it when/if i get it

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 07:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dunno what info you're going on Sat, but my keyboard is the same off-white color as every surface on the inner side of the iBook.

It's Sabotage!
It's Sabotage!
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 08:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

smith do you by any chance use a keyboard cover?

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 08:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nope. And aside from the fact that I can see some keys beginning to shine (lose the matte texturing from use), they're all perfectly fine. And this is with me using it as my main machine for six months straight, about 6 or 7 hours a day.

PostPosted: 08-02-2005 08:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and not having sex once in those six months :lol:

It's Sabotage!
It's Sabotage!
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 08:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Keep It Real wrote:

what are you doing in the mac forum you fucking wanker, get a life.

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 08:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He's fishing actually. I think he just caught one too.

PostPosted: 08-02-2005 08:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

zeeko wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:

i have a mac computer and an ipod virgin :lol:

It's Sabotage!
It's Sabotage!
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 08:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Keep It Real wrote:

that's nice.

PostPosted: 08-02-2005 08:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah its great :lol:

It's Sabotage!
It's Sabotage!
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 09:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

17" pb?

PostPosted: 08-02-2005 09:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no better :lol:

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 08-03-2005 04:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Keep It Real wrote:
zeeko wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:

testo?

It's Sabotage!
It's Sabotage!
PostPosted: 08-03-2005 05:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

most definately.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.