Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        DVD Burner woes on my G5

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: DVD Burner woes on my G5

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-15-2005 06:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fucking thing. Just when I need to backup 7gig of photos.

I put my files into Toast and click to burn. I can hear the drive spin up, then spin down. After 5 or 6 goes at it Toast reports buffer under run errors. Even on my lite-on external burner I have issue where if I put a DVD disk in it spits it out reporting 'disk not supported'.

I've firewired my files to another G5 and burnt them. I'm just about to reinstall the OS.

Any ideas?

canis
canis
PostPosted: 09-15-2005 07:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've had that problem with my drive. I used patchburn to give the thing native support, but it still gives me that error every now and then. I've always solved it with a reboot. I also noticed this problem occurs mostly when I use 3rd party software like Fast DVD Copy 4 as opposed to using the OS for burning.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-15-2005 07:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Humm. Just finishing software update now.

It's been fine for months. If this doesn't sort it I’m on the phone to apple.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 09-15-2005 09:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is it a built-in drive from Apple or is it one you installed yourself?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-15-2005 09:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a superdrive

canis
canis
PostPosted: 09-15-2005 10:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

An Apple OEM one? I got a pioneer DVR-109 and it's not supported by apple but it's still a superdrive. It not being supported is where I believe my problems lie.

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 09-15-2005 03:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if you can get the drive working again, try burning at 1x. I have some discs that pull that shit, but the drive never blows up in the process

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-16-2005 12:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a Pioneer 106D.

I should get a chance to test the reinstall today. I'll try at x1.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-16-2005 02:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got it working but not very well. I've called Apple. they are sending someone out on Monday.

Cheers.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.