Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        2 questions...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 2 questions...

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 09-24-2005 06:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

is it possible to have Q3A run in a window that can be minimized?
and, can you create shortcuts for starting up CPMA for example without starting the game, going to Mods and then picking the mod? :confused:

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 09-24-2005 07:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes both are possible, no i do not how it is done.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 09-24-2005 07:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can command-tab out of the game, but Q3 freezes the mouse in windowed mode, so you cant access any menus. It also doenst allow for command-m to minimize the program. Technically it would be possible if these features were enabled, but they arent so I dont see how it could be done.

You can create an applescript that will open the game with the "+set fs_game CPMA" tag (not sure of the exact syntax for the applescript).

Another way is to have some program or some shell script call this command: /Applications/Quake\ 3/Quake3\ G4.app/Contents/MacOS/Quake3\ G4 +set fs_game CPMA. You can have an applescript call it, or you can put it in a shell script, or you can type it in the terminal yourself.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 09-24-2005 07:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you have OS X 10.4 then you can do it in automator. Create an automator workflow and add the "run shell script" option to the workflow. Add the command listed above to the text field in the workflow as the only command in the script. Then save the workflow or you can select "save as..." and save it as an application that you can put in your dock.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 09-24-2005 09:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks Canis. i don't have Tiger, but i'll look into the apple script. i have someone that could help me with it. was never good at that stuff :p

btw, i just did the command + Tab and it hid Q3! nice. it didn't go to a windowed game, just hid it and my mouse worked fine. which is pretty cool. now i can answer incoming ICQs whilst fraggin'. thanks for the tip.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 09-24-2005 12:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unless it's different than windows, in window mode just bring down the console and click somewhere out of quake's screen... But I guess that can't be done on an apple?

canis
canis
PostPosted: 09-24-2005 02:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you're command-tabbed out of the program for too long it may disconnect you from the server. While you're tabbed out it makes you ping 999 to the server, so the server may drop you. I can usually be tabbed out for several minutes at the most before I lose the connection.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 09-24-2005 02:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bork[e] wrote:
Unless it's different than windows, in window mode just bring down the console and click somewhere out of quake's screen... But I guess that can't be done on an apple?

You can go into window mode, and then command-tab out of the program. However, if you have Q3 in the foreground in any way it freezes the system mouse and gives all mouse input to Q3.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.