Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        only one wish

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: only one wish

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-03-2006 12:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hy all
all best for 2006! hope you started well this year.
Last night i had a dream: i saw my mac and i turned it on. after started the os i wanna play that q3a. and to find my favoret server an to join in the game, i used a widget.
So my request is to find a member here who can make a q3a-widget for us all.
please please please
ONLY THIS WISH in this year!

BadPing

Not Gay
Not Gay
PostPosted: 01-03-2006 01:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That wouldn't be too hard to make, just shortcuts that make command line-commands

Jenny: lol, i'm not changing the whole harddrive directory structure for a mod. Do it proper like other mods please.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-03-2006 02:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's not that simple as you have to get listings from somewhere. That means UDP socket programming, unless you suck off a web site.

You might be able to use qstat from a widget but I don't know much about Widgets myself.

Not Gay
Not Gay
PostPosted: 01-03-2006 03:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Technically Couldn't you just make a widget that makes shortcuts and stores them in the widget? like "target or w/e" +connect 127.0.0.1 ??

Jenny: lol, i'm not changing the whole harddrive directory structure for a mod. Do it proper like other mods please.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 01-03-2006 04:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If a javascript can access the commandline then it would be simple, as you could get the widget to just store your favorite ip addresses for the servers, and then apply them to a +connect parameter as the widget calls the Applicataion to open. As for one that checks server status and such, that would be a lot harder...

Not Gay
Not Gay
PostPosted: 01-03-2006 05:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea, server status would be harder, but arent there q3 server browsing progs you could connect it with?

canis
canis
PostPosted: 01-03-2006 06:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's Only Mortal, and Gameranger, but I dont think any of them have output to a Widget. Still, with them open you dont need a widget, as they'll indicate either in the menu bar or in a window what servers are available.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-03-2006 11:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

java would suc, is there a better option?

canis
canis
PostPosted: 01-04-2006 09:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There are all kinds of options, but they'd be damn hard to code for, and given the already present server browsers and pingers, and such, I doubt anyone would spend the time on it.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-06-2006 04:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanxs for the replies

only one thing: i am not looking for a gamebrowser such like "gameranger" or "only mortal". these two working very well for me to find the servers.
a friend wrote a small widget for linux where he put in his favouret server-ip´s.
so (and this is my wish) he can check these few servers with one view for friends online gaming on these servers. QuakeMenue will do the same but i saw that the way via widget is more comfortable than joining a menue and view through the servers. also it has some bugs on my side.
tnx for help

canis
canis
PostPosted: 01-06-2006 09:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If he wrote the widget in javascript then it should be fairly easy to get working on OS X.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-08-2006 05:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh sorry... he didn´t it in javascript. he told me that the widget ist working together with "quakestat". so i suppose this is not usable for mac-os.
he just postet the code, maybe its a help, i dont know because i am absolut a newb in this case.
SERVER_IP=xxx.xxx.xx.xxx
SERVER_PORT=27960
karamba.addMenuConfigOption(widget,"bg","Show background")
case $1 in
"-p")
echo "`quakestat -P -sort F -q3s $SERVER_IP:$SERVER_PORT | grep 'ms' | awk '{print $4,$1,$2}'`"
;;
"-m")
echo "`qstat -q3s $SERVER_IP:$SERVER_PORT | grep '/' | awk '{print $4}'`"
;;
*)
echo -e "Usage:\n-p query player(s)\n-m query map"
;;
esac

thanxs for reading

canis
canis
PostPosted: 01-08-2006 09:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That information uses qstat to access the server. qstat is available for OS X and does work, but as far as getting a javascript to access it, I dont know. I know minimal javascripting. Its not hard to learn at all, so at some point I may give it a shot. Try taking a look at various widgets and open their source pages up to look at their codes.

Here's a Wolfenstein Server Status widget that should be EASILY portable to Q3 seeing how they're based off the same engine: http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboar ... idget.html

canis
canis
PostPosted: 01-08-2006 09:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually it works for Q3 servers, you just have to enter a Q3 server IP address adn it will function. You'll have to edit the applescript included in the contents of the widget package so it points to your Q3 application instead of Wolfenstein.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 01-08-2006 10:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hosted a "modified" copy of that program to work with Q3 if you have it installed in /Applications/Quake3/

Hre: http://homepage.mac.com/tkessler/.Publi ... t.wdgt.zip

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-08-2006 11:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Canis: are you married ? :icon25:
Thank you!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.