Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        MWSF IRC feed

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: MWSF IRC feed

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-10-2006 06:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can get an IRC feed at irc://irc.arstechnica.com:6667 in the #mwsf channel and the #macintosh channel.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 01-10-2006 10:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Intel Macs Released. Its an iMac G5 with a Dual core intel processor...apparently 2-3x faster than current G5s.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-10-2006 10:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I told you they were fast!

canis
canis
PostPosted: 01-10-2006 10:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, apparently each core is faster, but I'm not sure if that scales with clock speed yet. They havent released the specs for them yet, though apparently they are running with ATI X1600 GPUs.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 01-10-2006 10:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ahhh!!!! Powerbooks!!!!!! :D

canis
canis
PostPosted: 01-10-2006 10:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MacBook Pro!!! Dual core intel processor!!!! :D Wahoo!!

canis
canis
PostPosted: 01-10-2006 10:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So its goodbye "PowerBook"? I'm kinda disappointed with the loss of that name. Despite the processor, they should have stuck with that name. It rocks.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-10-2006 03:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The new name is pathetic, IMO. PowerBook didn't relate to PowerPC in my mind.

MacBook sounds like something people wipe their feet on.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-10-2006 03:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Note the lack of update on the Flemish web site due to the lazy fucker Belgians not "feeling" like they can be bothered to update their web site. It must interfere with their coffee break or chatting to their mates.

http://homepage.mac.com/only_mortal/download/G5iMac.png

And they wonder why they have huge unemployment in Antwerp...

I should call to ask about the new iMac G5. I bet they've never heard of it.

/rant off

Edit: Ignore me. I shouldn't use the keyboard after so many beers.

Last edited by NCG_Mike on 01-11-2006 12:55 PM, edited 1 time in total.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 01-10-2006 04:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I dont get what your rant is about...that screenshot looks updated to me.

I agree about the name. I thought PowerBook was a solid name that was here to last. Steve's excuse that Apple has left "power" was rather odd to me, because I'd expect they'd want to maintain power symbols and phrases that pertain to their computers. I hope they never get rid of "PowerMac", thought I could see them doing something like "ProMac" or some such alteration.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-10-2006 10:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Saw it all today at Macworld, the Intel comps are really fast. The MacBook totally toasts the old G4 notebooks. They said it's up to 4x faster, I believe it. 667 mhz system bus, dual core 2 gig Yonah processor. It felt pretty cool to the touch. Not very heavy, either. An Apple employee I talked to said that they will replace all models of their computers with Intel macs this year. I'm glad they finally got their powerbook line up to speed with the rest of the world. They said they've improved the display quality as well, 67% brighter than the old one. They're updating the 17" model next. Pretty sweet.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 01-10-2006 10:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm thinking they'll update the mini and ibooks next, with the PowerMacs being the last thing to make the transition. I'm willing to bet Apple wants to ensure all the pro applications are properly supported before they make the leap to cuttin off pro consumers from fast solutions on their computers.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 01-11-2006 12:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

did you notice during the ipod segment during the keynote that there was no verbal or visual mention of the Shuffle at all? i'm thinking they're revamping it and coming out with an all new Shuffle VERY soon.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 01-11-2006 09:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Possibly. I've not heard much about the shuffle's success except for it does have some conflict with consumer interest in the nano.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-11-2006 12:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Canis wrote:
I'm thinking they'll update the mini and ibooks next, with the PowerMacs being the last thing to make the transition. I'm willing to bet Apple wants to ensure all the pro applications are properly supported before they make the leap to cuttin off pro consumers from fast solutions on their computers.

Notice that all the current (2) Intel based Macs have remote controls.

Guess what? When the Mini arrives it'll have a remote too and... it'll plug into a TV (DVI -> HDMI).

The current Mini will plug into TVs with DVI connections. I've seen it done to a LCD. I'm still using the old S-Video -> SCART myself on my tube.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-13-2006 02:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

are these all 64bit? with 32bit support?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.