Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        OS X Q3 server consle window?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: OS X Q3 server consle window?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-19-2006 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been setting up a dedicated Mac Q3 1.31 server. When I click create after setting it up, the regular Q3 screen disappears and a Quake3 app is running but there's no console window as you get on the PC (and as I recall seeing from running an OS 9 Quake 3 server many years ago) and no way to control the app. The mouse pointer disapears too so it can only be force quit.

The server is running, I can see and join it from other computers (PC and Mac) and even control it via /rcon. But it would be nice to have a proper console window on the host machine. Anyone know how to fix this?

thx

canis
canis
PostPosted: 03-19-2006 04:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There is no fully supported mac Q3 server app. They sorta put one together but never completed it. I dont know if there are third party apps that can access the command line of a dedicated server, but that would be the only way to do it.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-19-2006 04:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interesting. It appears more or less functional bar the fact that I can't control it from the host. It doesn't always appear in the browser at first click but maybe that's because it's on a wireless network... (I'm using an iBook as the server). Will do some further testing as once the server's running OK it doesn't need that much input anyway...

canis
canis
PostPosted: 03-19-2006 04:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You might try this little app: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22615

It's the only server administration tool for Q3 that I know of.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-28-2006 02:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Link doesnt seem to work....any other Server tools?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 06-12-2006 09:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow. Haven't been here in a while. Anyway, if you're still interested, here's a couple things to try.

You said 1.31 server? I think that only runs under OS9, right? In that case, you need to start the application with a control click? (command click? I don't remember, it's been so long since I used OS 9). But one of those will give you a window to let you pass arguments to q3. You have to start q3 with dedicated 1, so want to pass something like this...

+set dedicated 1 +set vm_game 2 +set vm_cgame 2 +set vm_ui 2 +exec myq3config.cfg

That should start you up in dedicated server mode with a window, as I recall.

If, however, you meant 1.32 on OSX, (there is a 1.32 dedicated server - but it has no pb support), start it from Terminal using something like...

/Games/quake3/Q3DedicatedServer1.32 -RetailInstallationPath /Games/quake3 +set dedicated 1 +set vm_game 2 +set vm_cgame 2 +set vm_ui 2 +exec myq3config.cfg

Of course, replace /Games/quake3 with your actual path to your q3 folder.

Hope this helps.

- Shrapnel

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.