Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        Mac Mini + Win XP?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Mac Mini + Win XP?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 05-17-2006 08:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just wondering what the feasibility of this is nowadays, I think the mac mini is on intel chips now?

My sister's a computing troglodyte, and not really willing to learn. She needs something cheap and able to last her a few years. She's got broadband and most of her activities on the PC are just browsing, chatting, a bit of email.

Would a mac mini dual booting XP be a good choice? They're not prohibitively expensive.

On the other hand I could set her up with a cheapass PC build, but the macs seem just as good a choice and more stylish.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 05-17-2006 09:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You could get it to boot XP and run software, but as far as support goes there may be some limitations. For her uses I'd say it would work well, but for anything that's system-intensive or requires specific API support and driver integration, yadda yadda I'd say its best to hold off for now. That's besides the point though. For her, I'd do it.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-17-2006 12:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What about one of the virtualisation packages?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 05-17-2006 12:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aren't those prohibitively expensive?

Also I don't quite understand what the point would be... May as well just buy a regular PC in that case.

My plan would be to start her off on the mac software but if it didn't work out transition to XP is an option.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 05-17-2006 12:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Virtualization allows mac and pc software to run simultaneously at nearly full speed. The costs are more, and there are still features to be desired as well as bugs to be weeded out, but I think its the way of the future.

Still, for now, Boot Camp will do a great job.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-17-2006 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's something like VMWare which costs 50 bucks or so. It's what I'd use to avoid the dual boot.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 05-17-2006 03:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Parallels Virtual Machine is about that price as well.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-18-2006 09:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking of. I couldn't remember the name. There's a 30 day demo available which I've ran on an iMac.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 05-18-2006 01:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How well'd it run?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-18-2006 01:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didn't have any OS handy to try it out but it booted into a bios. The app itself is a UNIX port as it's using TK, or something similar, for its user interface.

When I get myself an Intel Mac, as opposed to the two I have at work, I'll get some virtualization software.

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 07-18-2006 03:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've got one of the new intel mini's, the cheapo one with a core solo and 512 megs of RAM. Parallels Runs pretty poorly, but then again I can only give the Virtual Machine for XP 384 megs of RAM. If I do give it the max amount of RAM, OS X weeps tears of spinning beachballs. Boot Camp is the much better alternative if performance is your goal, since its straight XP, no virtualization and no loss of hardware performance.

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 07-23-2006 01:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

VMWare and MS Virtual Server are free now if anyone hasn't noticed...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.