Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        Mac Q3 Demo

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Mac Q3 Demo

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 06-29-2006 03:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I just bought a mac and wanted to play a good FPS game that wouldnt kill my MacBook, (and so my friends and I can all play the same game on our laptops) So I downloaded the Q3 Demo from the IDsoftware site and im getting an error when im trying to launch it.

"You cannot open the application "Quake 3 Demo Instal" because it is not supported on this system"

Im using Mac OS X V 10.4.6 ... anyhelp would be appreciated! :p

canis
canis
PostPosted: 06-29-2006 03:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake 3 was compiled for the PowerPC, so I dont know how it will run under rosetta on the new intel macs. Also, the Demo is for the old MacOS, and doesnt run under OS X. You'd have to have the classic environment installed, and I dont know if that's supported on the new intel macs. I dont think it is.

To get Q3 running you'd have to get the retail version and update it to the latest point release. The latest release isnt compiled for intel, so it will have to run under the rosetta translator and may have some hangs, slowdowns, and such as a result.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.