Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        can't remove a partial file from server

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: can't remove a partial file from server

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 09-15-2006 08:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was transferring two ISO files from my desktop to our server, and partway through copying file #2, I got an error message saying that I didn’t have the correct permission for it. However, I have all the permissions for both files on my desktop, and for the copy of ISO #1 on the server (that file was copied correctly)

Now I have a partial ISO #2 file on the server which says I have no permissions for it, and I’m not allowed to change the permissions. That means I can’t delete file, and I can’t replace it with a new copy from my desktop because it says it’s currently in use.

Restarting the machine didn’t help.
Is there a way to get rid of this partial file without going to the server admins?

canis
canis
PostPosted: 09-15-2006 08:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Get info on the file and check who is the owner of the file. If it's anybody but yourself then you'll need administrative access to delete the file. If the file belongs to you then you're kinda in a screwed up situation. However even in that case I'd still go to the admins.

You might try re-copying the file. If it allows you to replace the partial file then that might be the answer. However, if not then I'd say the admins (which is probably the safest bet anyway) are the way to go.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 09-15-2006 08:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ownership for both the files on the server list the name of the server. What’s odd, though, is that I can change the permissions/ownership of ISO #1, but not ISO #2 (the pulldown menus are grayed out).

Ownership for the original files on my desktop are for me.

Copying the file again won’t work, because it says the partial ISO #2 file is in use.

I’m thinking you’re right – I’ll have to go talk with the server admins. Nuts.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 09-15-2006 12:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd suggest running a disk checker on both machines. MInd you, perhaps someone'd mounted the ISO and was actually using it?

canis
canis
PostPosted: 09-15-2006 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the system handles the files as it copies them, and only afterwards applies the ownership properties. As such, half-way through if the file isnt deleted by the server it will still retain the server as owner. I believe similar things have happened to me in the past for small files, and I remember them being owned by the server as a result. Root access can get rid of the file, no problem.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 09-15-2006 01:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

NCG_Mike wrote:
I'd suggest running a disk checker on both machines. MInd you, perhaps someone'd mounted the ISO and was actually using it?

If they were, they would have failed miserably, because only a small fraction of the file actually copied to the server.

I chatted with the admin, and he said he'd see what he could about it, but it probably won't be until Monday. No big deal, because it isn't crucial. I'll just have to wait til then to see what happens.

Thanks for the advice, both of you.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 09-16-2006 01:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Canis wrote:
I think the system handles the files as it copies them, and only afterwards applies the ownership properties. As such, half-way through if the file isnt deleted by the server it will still retain the server as owner. I believe similar things have happened to me in the past for small files, and I remember them being owned by the server as a result. Root access can get rid of the file, no problem.

If the file is on a UNIX system, like the Mac, deleting it would remove it from the server *but* with it been open it would still be readable by someone who already had it open.

As for permissions, you're likely correct. In a *normal* copy you open the source file with read permissions and the local permissions would be for owner and group (read/write).

No doubt the Finder uses some legacy Carbon FSOpen calls or so. So... you might try a "cp" in bash to avoid the Mac getting in the way.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 09-20-2006 05:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The conclusion was anticlimactic.
I emailed the server admin.
He deleted it.

Nevertheless, thanks for the help, guys. :icon14:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.