Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        Working with PSD files on a mac

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Working with PSD files on a mac

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 10-22-2006 02:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So i've got a legit version of Photoshop CS on my PC - and have sent a CD full of PSDs (saved out at max compatibilty) to this chap who's working on a Mac. He doesn't strike me as technically competent, but he's not stupid either. All I know so far is that he runs an unknown version of OSX and an unknown version of Photoshop.

He says that when he works with the PSDs from my machine, he can't flatten the layers, and when he tries to save the file, it only saves one layer.

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? Do you have any questions I could ask him to work out what the problem is? There's nothing special about the images afaik, they're all just a bunch of rasterized layers.

Dead by Dawn
Dead by Dawn
PostPosted: 10-22-2006 02:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i work with photoshop betwen Macs and PCs all the time and ive never had any problem like this. a PSD file should work cross platform, i cant understand why he's having these problems.
maybe he just doesnt know how to use photoshop???

PostPosted: 10-23-2006 07:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CitizenKane wrote:
maybe he just doesnt know how to use photoshop???

that's what i'm starting to think. eventually asked my personal mac nerd (who unlike my personal linux nerd, takes a few days to get hold of) and they said they hadn't seen it before either.

two things just out of interest - do you work with CS or an older version? and do you know what macs do with files copied from a CD - do they leave the file as read-only, make it writable, prompt the user when they try to edit it?

Dead by Dawn
Dead by Dawn
PostPosted: 10-23-2006 01:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4days wrote:
do you work with CS or an older version?

i work with both, ive got CS and 7.0 on my pooter

4days wrote:
do you know what macs do with files copied from a CD - do they leave the file as read-only, make it writable, prompt the user when they try to edit it?

PSD files? it just leaves them as read only unless u copy them onto ur hardrive after which u shud be able to edit it them no prob

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-26-2006 03:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Mac operating system supports PSD files and seems to render them okay in Preview.app.

Perhaps your friend has a different version of PhotoShop?

PostPosted: 10-26-2006 05:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what difference might the version make?
i've been able to open files in CS and 7 on my PC, bit limited in testing beyond that - the guy still hasn't gotten back to me to say if the test file i saved him out from 7 was okay.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 10-26-2006 10:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

there's no issue with win v mac at all. it's the customer being a dickhead or a system issue