Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        Buying a mac.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Buying a mac.

Related to this
Related to this
PostPosted: 02-10-2005 08:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What kind should I get starting out?

It's Sabotage!
It's Sabotage!
PostPosted: 02-10-2005 10:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well first tell us what you will be using it for... eg. (internet, hardcore gaming, word processing, photoshop) and then we will help

canis
canis
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 03:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For general internet, word processing, photo managing, etc. I'd recommend the Mac MINI or the iMac. They'll do all that stuff, but make sure you order 512MB RAM instead of the 256MB default amount that comes on those machines. If you're into gaming then the PowerMac line of machines is what you're looking for, though the expense factor skyrockets at that point.

It's Sabotage!
It's Sabotage!
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 09:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and if you are looking for portability the powerbooks are great, they have just been speedbumped, i have a 15" 1.3? ghz and it rocks. ibooks are great too and i plan on getting a 12" for college. I will definately agree with canis with getting 512 MB ram.

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't buy RAM upgrades from Apple. If you're going to up the RAM, go through Crucial and put it in yourself, its mch cheaper and won't void you warranty or anythng like that, so long as you don't break anything.

It's Sabotage!
It's Sabotage!
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 11:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes i will definately agree, and check out http://www.macmall.com for purchases, they sometimes have pretty decent deals, and if you are admitted to/in college you can get an education discount from the apple store at http://www.apple.com

Related to this
Related to this
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 02:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll probably end up getting a power book at this point as it seems like the most viable option.

I'm looking for something quite powerful but not anything like Unreal tech 3 running or anything.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 12:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm thinking about getting a 12" powerbook. I was wondering if you just plugin the cables of VGA beamers or do you need a DVI-VGA converter or something (i know nothing about it).

btw, the Superdrive is mucho expensive as an option :icon33:

Oh and I have a Pocket PC with Windows Mobile 2003, it'll probably be a problem to use MS Activesync?

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 06:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There should be an included adapter that does mini-dvi to VGA (and possibly one for mini-dvi to dvi). OS X has an app called iSync, but I have no idea how it would work with an MS product.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 12:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ah well, there's not much standing in the way to buy a powerbook (or iBook) :D

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 02:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

btw, there's a program called Missing Sync that will let you sync Pocket PCs (Windows Mobile) with OS X. Shame you can only install .cab file based PPC programs

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 01:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:
btw, there's a program called Missing Sync that will let you sync Pocket PCs (Windows Mobile) with OS X. Shame you can only install .cab file based PPC programs

$40, fucking hell. i've been looking for something like this for my phone

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.