Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        Some Quake commands

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Some Quake commands

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 08-19-2005 02:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I try to solve some problems I'm experiencing with Quake on my system, so I'm inspecting all my config file. What are the commands below doing ?

sv_punkbuster
cl_punkbuster
in_disableOSMouseScaling

Also, my new Apple optical mouse doesn't rotate very well. Very often, I feel it "locked" or "sticking" while I'm trying to rotated pretty fast. The mouse pad isn't the cause. I feel it's related to the mouse settings in Quake. Is there a command to control the mouse rotation rate ?

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-19-2005 04:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sv_punkbuster = the punkbuster server. Changing it to 1 will enable the punkbuster server on your machine. This is only useful if you're going to be running a server off your machine. It's also useful as a way to force punkbuster to update itself when other options fail.

cl_punkbuster is the punkbuster client. Changing it to 1 enables you to play on punkbuster servers. This can also be enabled through the multiplayer menu in Q3.

in_disableOSMouseScaling gives Q3 full control over the behavior of your mouse. Stuff like acceleration all is governed by Q3 instead of the OS. However, it doesnt seem to work for shit on my computer, so I stick to using USB Overdrive (http://www.usboverdrive.com) to configure my mouse acceleration the way I like.

The Apple optical mouse is good for one thing, browsing the web and doing other bullshit, mundane tasks that dont require much mouse use. For gaming, get a decent multibutton mouse that you like. I suggest something from logitech such as the MX series. In Q3, the mouse rotation rate is governed by the command "\sensitivity". The value for this command is different for each person, as the speed it gives depends partly on the system mouse speed. The higher this value, the faster the mouse will feel. It can also be increased incrementally by decimal values instead of whole numbers, so instead of entering a sensitivity of 3 or 4, you can enter 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.45456666, etc to taylor your mouse speed to your needs.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 08-19-2005 04:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your help !

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.