Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        Crashing...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Crashing...

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-29-2005 08:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you send the crash report to apple whenever Q3 crashes?

Privates Investigator
Privates Investigator
PostPosted: 08-29-2005 09:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no, but i send it whenever proteus crashes

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-29-2005 09:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I must send about 5-8 per day, and am hoping others are doing the same so hopefully id software will fix the bugs. The mac community kinda got shafted when id software stopped supporting Q3...

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-29-2005 10:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

your getting 5-8 crashes a day with id software???

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-29-2005 10:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

About half the time I get shot with the plasma it craps out, and several times it quits when I get shot with rockets. I then pop it back open to continue playing, and then it's only a matter of time...

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 08-30-2005 09:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think id is going to support the game any longer. :(

However now with the source code out maybe someone will create a 'bug-fixing' Q3 client that would work with Mac also?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-30-2005 09:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The crash with the plasma gun is the "G4" bug. It's well known.

Try the non-G4 version.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-30-2005 10:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have...it still does it.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 08-30-2005 11:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You used to play q3 on pc before right canis?

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-30-2005 11:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No. I've played it on a PC, but I've stuck to the mac version. My PC sucks and I only use it for it's TV card.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 08-30-2005 01:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well don't count on id fixing any bugs anymore. It's weird how come the 'G4 workaround' dosen't work for you? And didn't you buy a dual G5 system or sumat?

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 08:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, My system is a dual G5 2.5GHz, Geforce6800 Ultra, OS 10.4.2, and 1GB RAM. I dunno why, but Q3 just craps out all the time. It doesnt do it with total conversion mods like UrT, but OSP and vanilla Q3 all crap out. :(

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 11:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmmmmm, so the bug isn't limited to G4's then?

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 12:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I dunno. I used to play the thing with a few crashes here and there, but these days it seems to be a lot more frequent.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-08-2005 11:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I keep on getting errors also, and i updated to the latest 1.32 for OS X. Is this a common problem with Macs and ID software?

canis
canis
PostPosted: 10-08-2005 12:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The latest patch (1.32) has a sound or texture bug where it crashes when you get hit with certain weapons. It's mainly the plasma gun, but sometimes the rockets do it too. This is only in vanilla Q3 and the mods that are based around the default textures and sounds. ID Software will probably never get around to fixing the problem, which is too bad and shows very poor quality assurance on their part. It would probably take a weekend of picking around to fix the problem.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-08-2005 02:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Odd, I never managed to reproduce this bug on the plain 1.32 version, only on the 1.32 Altivec (G4) version. I know you are a Q3 oldtimer Canis but have you tried trashing the .cfg and let the plain 1.32 build a new one?

cheers

canis
canis
PostPosted: 10-08-2005 02:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've trashed configs and done completely new installs, as well as done OS re-installs, but it still crashes.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-08-2005 06:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm running a G3 400 with maxed out ram. Would that be a problem too, or is it still just the game?

canis
canis
PostPosted: 10-08-2005 10:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the program, not the hardware.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 12:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Canis,

When Q3 crashes with you, does the game simply stop & 'fade' back to the OSX desktop ? That's happening on both my G4 PowerMac & G5 iMac - really annoying, especially as the game runs good as gold on an old G3 iMac DV 400 :confused:

Is there any easy (& safe) way to uninstall the altivec file, and re-install with the G3 version to see if that's any better (or have you already tried this ?).

Cheers,

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 02:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I send crash reports for apps that aren't my own... not that my "perfect" apps ever crash of course :paranoid:

I do send in Safari bug reports for pages that don't work or render incorrectly.

I also send in bugs for XCode... if only they'd left Project Builder alone. :tear:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 02:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andymac wrote:
Canis,

When Q3 crashes with you, does the game simply stop & 'fade' back to the OSX desktop ? That's happening on both my G4 PowerMac & G5 iMac - really annoying, especially as the game runs good as gold on an old G3 iMac DV 400 :confused:

Is there any easy (& safe) way to uninstall the altivec file, and re-install with the G3 version to see if that's any better (or have you already tried this ?).

Cheers,

The altivec Q3 has a problem with the plasma gun which causes a crash (I get it all the time here). Try use the non-altivec version.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 02:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Canis wrote:
The latest patch (1.32) has a sound or texture bug where it crashes when you get hit with certain weapons. It's mainly the plasma gun, but sometimes the rockets do it too. This is only in vanilla Q3 and the mods that are based around the default textures and sounds. ID Software will probably never get around to fixing the problem, which is too bad and shows very poor quality assurance on their part. It would probably take a weekend of picking around to fix the problem.

Since the source is publicly available it can be fixed. No... I'm not doing it as I'm doing "other" things.

Q3 does compile with XCode, as I recall. I tried to make a G5 optimized version but it crashed on the screen for getting a list of servers and I lost interest.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 02:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:( :( :(

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 08:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gosh, I play some fairly lengthy bouts of Quake3 with my fall '03 Dual 2.0 G5 and rarely if ever crash out of it. I have an ATI 9800 Pro.

The only bug that bothers me is when the server loads a new map and everything is whiteout. I type vid_restart in the console and everything is fine.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 01:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi NCG_Mike,

How do I uninstall the altivec version of the game ? Do I simply drag all the Q3 folders to the trash, or is there a proper uninstall sequence that I need to go through ?

Cheers,

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 01:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Canis wrote:
:( :( :(

You should contact Axel Wefers to see if he'll do it.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 01:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andymac wrote:
Hi NCG_Mike,

How do I uninstall the altivec version of the game ? Do I simply drag all the Q3 folders to the trash, or is there a proper uninstall sequence that I need to go through ?

Cheers,

Just drag the application to the trash and use the non-altivec version instead.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 02:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rhogue islander wrote:
Gosh, I play some fairly lengthy bouts of Quake3 with my fall '03 Dual 2.0 G5 and rarely if ever crash out of it. I have an ATI 9800 Pro.

The only bug that bothers me is when the server loads a new map and everything is whiteout. I type vid_restart in the console and everything is fine.

Your system is the same as mine, I guess, except I've only got 64MB of video RAM.

The altivec version used to blow up on my old G4 iMac too. Just try to fire the plasma gun and "poof".

canis
canis
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 09:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who is Axel Wefers?

I'd like for to Graeme Devine to tackle it, as he was the one doing it before he left id software....I guess my expectations are a bit high. :D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 07:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't ever sent in a crash report (Q3 or otherwise).

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 03:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Canis wrote:
Who is Axel Wefers?

I'd like for to Graeme Devine to tackle it, as he was the one doing it before he left id software....I guess my expectations are a bit high. :D

Axel Wefers is the guy who did Quake, QuakeWorld and Quake 2 when they were open sourced. AKA... "Fruits of Dojo".

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-16-2005 02:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

NCG_Mike wrote:
andymac wrote:
Hi NCG_Mike,

Cheers,

Just drag the application to the trash and use the non-altivec version instead.

No need to trash the altivec version - just name it Quake3 G4 or such and then have the standard one in the Quake3 folder as well - I've had it like that since 1.32 came out and switch between them.

cheers

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.