Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        Has anyone ever successfully burned a DL DVD on a Mac EVER?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Has anyone ever successfully burned a DL DVD on a Mac EVER?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 08:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

WTH is the right way to burn a DL disc? Apple Disc Utility has been Closing Session for roughly 45 minutes. I've also tried using Toast to burn DVD DL, ended up with a coaster there too.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 08:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Apple supports Dual Layer DVD burning in the OS because they provide OEM Dual Layer drives in their machines. Is your drive an apple OEM one, or did you get it from a third party? If so, check the apple system profiler to see if it's supported. If not, then you might try installing a patchburn profile (http://www.patchburn.de) which will give the drive native support in the OS.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 09:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've installed Patchburn. It worked before w/o it though - recognized DL media, DL functions, etc - tho it never burned a DL disc (w/ patchburn or without). I installed it mainly to try to try eliminating problems.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... pfp=BROWSE

I'm using this media and I've got 3 coasters so far. JFC.

BENQ DVD DD DW1625:

Firmware Revision: BBEA
Interconnect: USB
Burn Support: Yes (Vendor Supported)
Profile Path: /Library/DiscRecording/DeviceProfiles/PatchBurn-benqdvddddw1625.drprofile
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: No

I'm guessing that the media just sucks. F*cking anoying. $21ish lost in coaster already and $14 says the rest of the discs won't work either.

canis
canis
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 10:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've had the finder crap out on finishing burns every now and then. I havent tried dual layer media yet, but sometimes it just doesnt work. I think apple needs to revise parts of the finder, kinda like how it used to crap out a bunch when connecting to network sources. Try using itunes to back up your library. Sometimes different programs work better, and iTunes may handle the media properly. This will give more of a hint as to where the problem lies.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.