Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Using CG_Trace

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Using CG_Trace

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 10-29-2005 10:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Code:
void   CG_Trace( trace_t *result, const vec3_t start, const vec3_t mins, const vec3_t maxs, const vec3_t end,  int skipNumber, int mask ) {

I think I understand the rest, but what do the mins and maxs parameters do?

Gomu Gomu no.....
Gomu Gomu no.....
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 04:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It specifies the width of the trace, rather than trace using a line, you can trace with a particular size, and if the sides hit whatever you are tracing for, it will stop.

-An eyeful a day is bloody fantastic!-

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 06:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Think of it as doing a sweep with a bounding box.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 04:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I figured that mins and maxs would specify a box, but I'm not quite sure exactly how. Could someone draw me some ascii art to show?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 10-31-2005 03:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Think of the player's bounding box, which is 32x32x64 or (-16, -16, -32)-(16, 16, 32). If you run in a straight line, you're bound to bump into something solid sooner or later. Now that's exactly what CG_Trace() does.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 10-31-2005 06:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks. Somehow it didn't occur to me that mins and maxs are actually vectors, not single values. Think I've got it now. :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.