Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Railgun Model Color

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Railgun Model Color

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-14-2014 04:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've seen a few different mods (Corkscrew most notably) that change the color of the railgun's power cell and barrel to match the player's individual color settings, and I was wondering how I would go about doing this in my own mod.

Due to my lack of experience with the Q3 engine I haven't learned much other than how to make basic changes and compile mods, so I apologize if I'm overlooking something ridiculously obvious here. I've been searching through the source files for Corkscrew for segments of code that handle this feature, but I've been unable to find anything. I found the source files here for Corkscrew here, if anyone is interested: http://rainbow.furver.se/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2059

And just in case I wasn't clear enough, here's some screenshots to describe what I'm talking about:

The colors also appear in first-person view, too.

I thought this would be a simple fix (i.e. set the grayscaled railgun glow textures to reflect the player's color settings) but unfortunately I've been unable to figure out how to accomplish this on my own.

Anyways, any help is much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-14-2014 12:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My bad, I probably should've mentioned that I'm already using the most recent version of ioquake3 available on the official repository, and the textures on the railgun are still black/unaffected by the player's colors. I'm also using a tweaked ioquake3 executable/DLL I found in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50203 but as I understand it, this only adds proper widescreen support and some extra post-processing effects, nothing that tampers with the core game files.

Or did you just mean that there's a commonly known way of achieving the effect for ioq3 that I'm unaware of? If so, could you please tell me where I can find more information? Thanks again.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-14-2014 03:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That did it! Guess I should've checked the ioq3 website more thoroughly. Thank you very much, ToKu! :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.