Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        a poll, of sorts, from an ex raven guy

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 08:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1. Yes

2. 9

3. I was almost afraid to pick up Q4 but after Reefsurfer told me how good it was, I ran out and got it.

The overall look of the game is tight. I love the machine gun model but the other models looks a little unispired. But hey, they get the job done and that is alright.

This is actually the first time I have not got completely bored of playing the SP part of a game and finished it through. But, I found the ending to be a little weak.

Voice acting was awesome in the SP campaign. And the different personalities of the people in the squads rocked.

I haven't done much MP yet. But the 1 on 1 I have done so far was good old DM that kept me on the edge. I almost forgot how much fun it is to just DM and not worry about squad based stuff.

Hopefully some folks will make new weapon and player models for MP like we got for Q3.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 09:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I only want to add the comments made by the competitive community. The mp just dosen't feel very well put together. You guys should of hire someone from the osp/cpma mods or something. Issues like not allowing a ton of cvars to work online, bad voting, shoddy maps, better ligthing for mp (like vertex, which would make a ton of machines work faster), a big problem with getting custom maps to work, etc. etc. It just hampers the online experience a lot.

I'll just post a few threads from esreality, as I don't want to re-post stuff here, and if you feel like reading them then great:

http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=917295

http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=916420

http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=916292

Read the comments made by the people if you can (might have to ignore some of the lammas though) there are probably a lot more post but those right there sum it up pretty nicely. :)

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 09:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

THE UNREAL TOURNAMENT GUY IS NOT FLAMING! THIS IS JUST MY HONEST OPINION!

This is just the views of a guy that bought a game he never played before, and what his thoughts are. I thought the person that asks for insight would like to know what a new person to the game might think about it.

1. Sure, it's been a fun experience

2. 5/10

3. The game is beta quality at best. Tons of bugs, just look through this forum. I don't know if the game engine is just a piece of crap or if the game was just coded carelessly. Patches aren't the answer I'm looking for, I want to know why the multiplayer server list is broken, it's things like that which show the carelessness of the creators. Patches should be made only when little bugs are found by someone with a random PC setup which happened to be untested by the creators before release, not to fix something that should work right out of the box. This is the worst quality in games I've ever come across, it's pretty ridiculous. I don't know if the Quake community is just used to it and is desensitized from it, or what. I see people complain about how crappy it is and then say it's the best game ever made. This is the first Quake game I ever played, so I don't know how the quality of past games has been.

Single player should be called Doom 3.5: Better Lighting, it's the same game, same layout, and it's still boring. The whole alien/monster invasion thing has been done to death, so I don't care for it. I didn't buy the game for the single player anyway.

Multiplayer is really fun. I seen now why people have played Quake 3 for many years, it's pretty addicting. It has bugs, and a lot of issues like player visibility, but the core fun of the game outshines the bad for the most part. It made the purchase worthwhle and if the bugs weren't there I would have gave the entire game something like a 8/10.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 10:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1) yes

2) 8.5

3) hoping these things are adrressed in the next patch.

- I want some cool MP models with personality such as Sarge or Major in Q3. I think Q4 marine models are too normal and generic, not to mention no single female model
- footstep sound is too annoying, if possible, some different sounds
- diffrenet grunt/death sounds for all the MP models
- double jumping/ stair jumping

Last edited by cloud4me on 10-28-2005 06:02 PM, edited 1 time in total.

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 10:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1.YES

3.Female skin
Q2 had them it won't be the same with out it.

More MP maps made by id or raven.
I know we are gonna get loads from other mappers.

Fix the hud so we can see the score in demos like in q3, maybe a stats bind and place the chat at top.

Able to use some tweaks in multiplayer like mouseaccel, displayrefresh, all the bob cmds and maybe make the console drop down instead of adding it to the quake4.exe shortcut.

RL is fine after playing the game for a while at frist it seem slow but not any more.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 10:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1. Yes
2. 9/10
3. Good - graphics, game play, weapon balance is superb, Tourney Mode, Sudden death in both DM and CTF, projectile interaction with teleports, grenade interaction with jump pads, map selection is very good considering Multiple Player focus wasn't as high of a priority as Single Player

Bad - CTF needs a grapple because it's more fun and helps differentiate it more from Team DM, Player models should have more variety of at least color so it's easier to see the opponent - bright skins would be great, lack of scripting is frustrating - I should be able to bind a weapon and associate it to a different FOV and Sensitivity, Game Browser lacks basic functionality - filters, favorites, and reportedly there are errors in ping reporting.

Editorial - I've read more than one comment that the game feels like a beta and it was rushed and I couldn't disagree more. The game plays well and for a first release has relatively few errors compared to other games in this genre. Also, the Very End of You remake is very fun as is the Dark Matter gun. I think players have preconceived ideas that high-powered weapons aren't fun and shouldn't be in the game - give it a chance.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 10:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1. Yep.
2. 7.
3. MP needs a few fixes. Stairs, footsteps, weight, illogical FR lagging, etc. I couldn't care less about SP, as it bores me to death.

With a bit of luck the game will shine when modders start doing some real work to MP.

---
P.S:

"alucardx" wrote:

"i could care less"

I really have to point out that the phrase is: "I couldn't care less". Meaning: I have absolutly no capacity to care at all as I am at the extent of my lack of caring, rather than using "could" which implies you don't care, but you are not at the extent of your lack of caring as you are able to care a bit.

So: I couldn't care less.

I'm not sure why the American dictation of this phrase words it in this way, but it's fairly annoying that it's wrong yet is continuously incorrectly used.

Cheers :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 11:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1 Yes

2 7.5

3 From a competitive stand point, the game is sorely lacking compared to what "could have been" implemented. I haven't even played the single player, which is time wasted imo. I feel like the multiplayer was rushed and there wasn't anyone knowledgeable at raven to work on any mp needs of the game. By this I mean the things that you just wouldn't know that are needed unless you had experience playing q3 mp etc.

There are a lot of minor things in mp that add up to reducing the game from a 9.9 to a 7.5. Some of these are:

The sluggish feel of movement. Is floor friction lower vs q3? It feels like when you move one way you end up all leaned over and it takes a while to go a different way. Q3 movement was much more crisp and precise. Bring back the precision.

Player skins that are hard to see and hard to distinguish friend from foe in team games.

Inability to tweak cvars client side unless the server has them set. This just causes poor performance and makes ppl want to stop playing the game when they get drops to 10 fps in mp and have to run at 640 with horrible looking graphics. Not to mention the view bob is the worst feature ever. I cannot play on any servers but my own because view bob makes me naucious in about 5 minutes and I have to stop playing.

There is no ability to connect to a server as a spectator. wtf?

Maps, not enough of them. Especially the TDM maps, which is what this game is mostly about imo. The maps that are present are fairly good however, I'd give some of them 7/10.

Cannot put maps or brightskin packs on servers and simply have them dowload to the client? WTF?

Overall, just feels like some artist ppl had their way with the game with zero regard for actual playability and needs of competitive players. Come on, make players more visible, who cares about realizm.

Graphics, somehow I expected more. Of course I have to play with everything on the lowest setting for performance reasons, but even at the regular setting it just doesn't look that much better than q3. It seems the Unreal 3 engine is way ahead in this dept even though granted it is not out yet.

Some good points:

Voting, it is almost good enough to use. One notable thing that is missing is ability to vote the max players, yet you can vote min players, what is the point of that one? Should be able to have server configured game type setups that you can vote for however, such as a TDM config, a CTF config etc that would have much more control over the details than what is present in the gui.

I like how weapons are balanced differently for FFA vs Team games, about time someone balanced each weapon for the gametype. Bravo.

Hella Cool
Hella Cool
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 11:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1. Yes
2. 8.5
3. Multiplayer needs a very high end cpu to run, poor demo support.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 11:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
Quote:
Question 1: Are you glad you have it in your hands now?
This is a simple pass / fail test. No other answer is required

Somewhat.

Quote:
Quesion 2: On a scale of 1-10 - give it a number, no explanations.

Quote:
Question 3: rant and rave about any aspect of the game as long as you'd like - rant about the junk you hate and rave about what you like. Cohesive and constructive thoughts would be appreciated, but not required.

a. The lack of any real attention paid to anything mods did to improve Q3. Hello? Too many optimizations to even begin to list, its almost like there weren't that many hardcore Q3 players even working on this game or management said "BY CHRISTMAS SEASON 2005 OR ESLE" ...bah humbug.

b. Team Arena CTF again? It didnt fly the first time, what made someone think that slapping it into Q4 would have a different result? Class-based CTF was always a bad concept any way you sliced it. If you could maybe drop the powerups plus they spawned in random locales and there was one set like the main 4 runes in established CTF mods it could possibly be a hair better, but I doubt it.

c. The total disrespect paid to CTF altogether. Through 4 quake games in almost a decade now I've kept telling myself 'maybe next time they'll pay attention to this amazing gametype called CTF and possibly look at how big it is in other franchises where some attention was given to CTF and its gameplay. This game could attain greatness with a proper CTF implementation. I'd bet the farm on it ;)

d. lack of overall polish. I love the game, but I'd be delusional if I couldnt admit it needed about another solid year's worth of work to be worthy of calling anything over a 6 in its current state.

Multiplayer had to be slapped together in a few shorts months (and when I say few, more like 1-2). I would say 85-90% of the work went to the SP portion of the game. That's the only explanation why MP has so many problems. It was probably slapped together right in the middle of crunchtime. :paranoid:

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 12:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am very happy to have this game.... I give it a 9/10.

This game is everything I hoped for and alittle more. My only complaint: MP performance is terrible, and some parts in singleplayer seem to be real system killers.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 01:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for comments everybody, even the negs...

I'll try to point out this tread to some of the team that is still over there at raven.

the lack of a female model for MP irritates me also.

and q2 ctf was my favorite ctf so i hear ye's on the grapple issue.

as far as needing more time to polish.. not sure i could talk about that without violating my NDA. that's just the way it is.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 01:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its against my better judgment to post in this place, but when I saw this I couldnt resist.

tequila! wrote:
Question 1: Are you glad you have it in your hands now?
This is a simple pass / fail test. No other answer is required

Quesion 2: On a scale of 1-10 - give it a number, no explanations.

Question 3: rant and rave about any aspect of the game as long as you'd like - rant about the junk you hate and rave about what you like. Cohesive and constructive thoughts would be appreciated, but not required. :)

1: thats not as simple a question as one would think it should be, but, I will say this: Imo Raven should have spent more time on it. I would have happily waited for a finished game even if it took another year...(it is quake afterall!) I havent played much (nearly none) of the single player of this game(and honestly I dont care about it), what I have played it seems fun. but the multiplayer (which is what the majority of people, including myself, bought the game for) just seems unfinished.

2: Because of the bugs and other things that take away from the fun of playing it I have to give it a 5. raven/id/activision (whoever had more control over the MP portion of the game)should have tested it more before release. examples of bugs and "other things" I mentioned arent limited to these but ill be brief as possible: bug-the console disappears sometimes, in sp and mp...for obvious reasons this is a very big problem. "other things"- it isnt possible to strafejump up curved stairs. this just seems stupid, and whoever let this slip by needs to be beat in the middle of a very-populated public gathering(4th of july in Times Square, for example).

3:Even though It feels like quake 3 in some respects, in others it just feels like a sad UT2k4 ripoff...they went too hard for graphics instead gameplay and I hate that. there is one too many weapons...either the nailgun or the hyperblaster should have been left out. having 2 of what are essentially quake 3 plasmaguns is overkill.

I love the game...rather I love "quake" itself. Im hoping there will be alot of changes and fixes soon that should have been made before the game was released. There are way too many games getting released in a halfassed state, for whatever reason game makers are doing it, and games that have/had alot of potential just arent on the level they should/could have been. Guild Wars was the other recent tragedy in the gaming world. why do I say tragedy for them both? They both should have been alot more than what they are, but they didnt get the development-attention they deserved.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 02:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can not answer the two first questions since I haven't played the game, I just host a server.
However it is quite obvious to me that none or at least none of the persons with power who made this game have been a server administrator. I conclude with this because of the none existences of administration utilities and the lack of logging.

With quake 3 arena and all the games based on this engine, I as a administrator could to a certain level follow a game from the console. This allowed me to a have at least a little control over my servers and the opportunity to not only give instructions, but receive information from players in the game. As it is right now I have to join a game to get any feedback from players, mainly because chatting isn't presented on the console any more, but also because it isn't logged. If this is because of some private protection of the players I can see why you did it, but the negative aspects from a administration point of view is much higher than the fear of given away someone's email address.

For a normal player who only plays for the share fun of it, the consequences of the fact presented above might not be clear. However the moment he/she wants to join a clan or even start one with some fellow players, they might want to produce a ranking or clan statistic, which might help them become better and allow comparison with other clans. This of course does not only apply to clans, but it might be more obvious to them since the ability to create good statistic is gone.

My point is that as long as we do not have a SDK to create at least a server mod which creates accurate logs and print out information on the console, this game is a pain in the ass for an administrator who likes some sort of control or feedback from his players. Especially if you run a public server without a big and faithful player base, since most players never bother to tell the administrator if something could be changed, they just change server.

I hope that all modifications (mods) which are in production or in planning, at least gives us administrators more room and help in the administration process.

Thanks

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 02:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1) I honestly cannot answer right now. If I did, I'd say yes, but the 'ooooh, shiny!' effect is still there

2) In it's current state, I'd have to give it a 7/10

3) SP was a lot of fun, and while I understand that's where the money is, I've only played the SP to pass the time. I fully expected and wanted to have a decently functioning MP out-of-the-box. Not talking bugs, they happen, thats what patches are for. But some of the idea's in mp appear contradictory. We have the new tourney system, a good idea and arguebly (sp?) geared towards competitive play. So why nerf the weapons by making splash damage do more damage than a direct hit? My guess is thats to make it easier for n00b's and help level the playing field for all, but since improvement then makes you actually do worse in a game ... just seems to fly in the face of the competiveness, and is in my opinion a really stupid idea. I'm not personally into the whole competive side of things, I play purely for fun, but that just seems to me like soccer, but goals are scored by missing the goal.
The models look fantastic, but since playing online, I've found it easier to see my opponent when they have the invis pu since they blend into the background otherwise. I'd like to see the skins colouring altered, or at least force models and some proper team skins. Not saying we should have blue and red (although that would work), but nothing stopping Raven from adding in some bright orange and bright green skins. With force model and perhaps enemy model that would do a lot for the game.
The no strafe jumping on curved stairs is plain stupid.
While I expected low framerates (it was the same with both previous Quakes, was a year or more before hardware caught up) in both of those previous Quakes, you could actually scale back the graphics to compensate and get acceptable frame rates. No route exists for this in Quake 4, and I don't understand why. It could have been coded in easily enough, Quake 3 had vertex lighting, surely something could have been done for Q4?
Having the 60fps cap seems pointless, especially since removing said cap can be achieved without putting game physics out of sync. Everybody is different, and despite some folks saying otherwise, 60fps at 75Hz+ can still be a strain on the eyes in a game in which fast movement and reaction speed are pretty much a given. Coupled with the currently low frame rates and it does on occasion give me a headache after a short while.
The sound ... I think I'll reserve judgement on this. No-one would expect to play this on low end hardware, although with the advances in onboard sound, the need for a seperate sound card has been diminshed greatly. Apparently tho, if you want to have good positional sound in Quake 4, you will need a decent sound card that supports OpenAL. My HD onboard audio doesn't. Not going to knock Q4 for that one, since I would never expect to play with onboard video either, but I've not heard Q4 with an Audigy or something like that; for all I know, positioning by sound might be just as bad :)
I've no idea if having half of the variables locked down is simply a mistake or by design, but half the enjoyment for me in previous Quakes was being able to tweak the game. All those commands being preceded by '_' not functioning in via script hampers that for me personally, and I know a lot of others feel the same way.
I've no idea if this is true or not, but I hear that in D3, server downloads (or at least the redirects to get the missing file/s from a server specified link) were 'fixed'. While this seems at first like a bug (which I've tried to avoid listing), and you can have the server point clients to a URL to grab files, the D3 approach (serverDownloads "2") appears to be only half implemented. Also appears (tho I would like to be told I'm wrong about this) that clients must have the same files as the server, even if those files are not in use. Both of those will greatly hamper the community in regards to getting mods and maps accepted.

I love the idea of the teleports and jump/ramp pads reacting with projectiles. I don't think they've been best shown off as gameplay aid with the current maps (and yes, I too have to wonder who thought making Xearo Gravity would be a good idea :) ) and I'm really looking forward to this aspect of play being further enhanced by the community of mappers.
The whole crouch sliding thing makes gameplay more interesting too, and adds another perspective to play. Not sure if that was a bug or a hidden feature, but if it is a bug, leave it in :)

My own personal worry is that none of the negative points will be addressed, either at all or quickly enough. I'd like to see Raven make a statement about what, if anything they will be doing, with perhaps some sort of time frame (if possible). Because when the 'oooh, shiny' effect wears off, I do have to wonder how many will keep playing, and I DO want them to keep playing. Question is, does Raven?

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 03:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YES!
9 out of 10
MP models suck..need firrent ones in different sizes.
We also need different sounds for each chatacter and a taunt sound.
Tourney maps(and the rest) are boring and the remakes are the "wrong" remakes..should have been the pro maps.
sp is a bit to scripted and feels a bit arcadish a'la CoD.
Jumping UP om stairs sucks arse.. why cant he jump up?
Jumping on crates that are 2 feet tall shouldent really be a problem...but in Q4 it is...

Mp is great.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 04:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1) Yes

2)9/10

3) For the most part, I loved the SP. *SPOILER, SPOILER!* I really liked turning into a strogg. It's hard to explain why the last levels felt soo long! I would from time to time say, "when will this be over!" in my head.

As for the MP, I never fully liked playing Quake MPs. I love playing mod MPs however, so I can't wait for the mods. The only three things I wanted was; better maps/more, SP coop -- but I can see why that would be hard, and Female models/more models -- as in different types but still stay with the, Strogg Vs Humans theme.

Too bad you didn't stay with Raven, but you have you're reasons :-p

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 08:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Spoiler? Are you joking?

Last edited by Lenard on 10-28-2005 09:06 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 08:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

we'll tequila!, i dont mean to put you on the spot..

but after a serious find in another thread, i am wondering what the best way/action would be to get a hold of someone at Ravensoft to change an aspect of the game.

nothing really, its just a setting that shouldent be Cheat protected.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 08:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just post it here. 213213214124 raven employees lurk. Or just PM rgoer.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-29-2005 03:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

reefsurfer wrote:
MP models suck..need firrent ones in different sizes.
We also need different sounds for each chatacter and a taunt sound.
Tourney maps(and the rest) are boring and the remakes are the "wrong" remakes..should have been the pro maps.
sp is a bit to scripted and feels a bit arcadish a'la CoD.
Jumping UP om stairs sucks arse.. why cant he jump up?
Jumping on crates that are 2 feet tall shouldent really be a problem...but in Q4 it is...

Mp is great.

so many complaints and still 9 outta 10? :smirk:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-29-2005 10:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thx again for comments, i realize the "three question" format is a bit odd - i was a ttempting to get more than "its great" or "it sucks" sets of comments by making people give their opinion in multiple ways.

it seems to be working decently so far, keep em coming, and I'll try to get some folks, who are still at Raven, to read through this thread.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-29-2005 10:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey tequila!, I gots ta ask. With the way you set up the intro and the question, it just seemed like there was something specific you were looking to find in the responses. Care to elaborate? :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-29-2005 11:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Honestly I just wanted a thread that tells it like it is, and the "three quesion" approach seemed like it might give more interesting opinions than any other way I could ask.

Working on Q4 (I was a mapper / scripter, single player mostly) -
took a lot out of me at a point in life I really wasn't ready to deal with the long, long hours - which is why I left a few months before completion.

I'd rather leave the personal reasons behind leaving... personal :)

bob

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-29-2005 12:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes

As a server admin, I agree with the sentiments of needing more info in the logs. The com_logMPStats is good for what it is, but I'd like to see the chatting too. When we get complaints about "so and so playername was spamming the chat, or was a real prick" , or whatever then the chat (if logged) can be used as justification for a GUID ban.

Thats really the only beef I have.

Raven
Raven
PostPosted: 10-29-2005 12:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey Tequila :) A number of us plod through here when time permits. I will try and keep popping by when I can cause you got a good thread going here :) Great to see ya man!!!

Ravensoft
Personal Site

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-29-2005 12:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tequila! wrote:
Honestly I just wanted a thread that tells it like it is, and the "three quesion" approach seemed like it might give more interesting opinions than any other way I could ask.

Working on Q4 (I was a mapper / scripter, single player mostly) -
took a lot out of me at a point in life I really wasn't ready to deal with the long, long hours - which is why I left a few months before completion.

I'd rather leave the personal reasons behind leaving... personal :)

I understand what you mean on the hours. I did QA for Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood. Hellacious hours at crunch time!
:icon27:

I wasn't looking to get into your personal reasons. I respect privacy. :)

horrific
horrific
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 04:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1. Meh. Indifferent wish I had downloaded it first to try it though cause I probably wouldnt have bought it if I had

2. Meh...... Single player - 7
multiplayer - 5

3. Its not that the game is bad. Single player is quite enjoyable but it just doesnt GRASP me and shake me like F.E.A.R. has or something to that effect. As for multiplayer I would have found it quite inconsievable that they would fuck it up, but they have

3 words

Green and Orange

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 06:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tequila! wrote:
the bulk of reasons were personal issues - aka - none of your business. :)

-Robert Bettenberg

Sleeping with the bosses wife were ya?
:icon30:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-30-2005 06:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1. it's a quake(supposedly)

2. sp-9 mp-5... but sp doesnt create longevity

quake IS multiplayer...

6 years and 60 bux (plus new vid card= $230) and i'm fucking pissed at this outright scam.

the thing runs like absolute shit, but hey you can turn everything off that you paid for...for it to run.....wtf is that shit.

this cat won't buy another pc videogame

as quake has always been the best

and this pos plays horribly

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-31-2005 07:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unisaw wrote:
tequila! wrote:
the bulk of reasons were personal issues - aka - none of your business. :)

-Robert Bettenberg

Sleeping with the bosses wife were ya?
:icon30:

lol :)

hate and pyro - sorry it didn't meet expectations.

My view of Q4 is that activision / id / raven - partly because it was Quake, and partly due to the very mixed reception of Doom3 - wanted Q4 to 'too perfect', if that makes sense.

The only problem with that idea is there is no perfect game, unless you are talking about something very simple and arcadish like Tetris.

An FPS simply can't be all things to all people. But I'm still happy its out there finally. :)

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 10-31-2005 11:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
there is no perfect game

this is mostly true, but as far as competetive multiplayer games goes, quake 3 IS the perfect game.

no unneeded key combos...
no extra movment gimmicks (strafing doesnt count because its a proven, and effecient means of travel)...
no stupid unbalanced weapons...

with a few fixes q4 could be the next perfect game.

red and blue instead of green and orange or atleast glowing skins in team games if this color scheme is kept. as it is right now, the majority of people will shoot teammates as often as enemies. you could go with more contrasting colors if not red and blue, how about green and white? or white and yellow?

brighter skins in ffa games aswell...along with more player models including but not limited to female player models. and more player sounds aswell...this one sound for all thing is boring after playing q3 for 6 years.

mouse acceleration is needed for those of us that have spent the past 6 years in quake 3 getting used to it.

a bit more air control is needed aswell...not cpm air control, just more vq3-ish

splash damage radius needs to be toned down on grenades and rockets...especially grenades...

shotgun damage needs to be toned down a bit aswell, and the shot spread needs to be a little less random to compensate.

the weapon that wants to be(and should have been) a bfg needs to be tweaked aswell. the one in q3 was nice, but it fired too fast. this dm-gun fires too fast for the radius it has and is too easily spammed...either slow the fire speed or tone down the dmg radius or both (imo both is best, and since sp and mp are as different as they are this will not hurt sp at all)

footsteps....change them..

scripting needs to be as easily done as in q3. this goes without saying and should have been in the game to begin with.

the pm_bob commands need to be client side instead of server side..again goes without saying..

ive already said it but...strafing up curved stairs...make it so!

I know there are alot of people that play this game to have fun, but there are alot of people still that play this game competetivly to have fun(and competetivly to make money ;)). not allowing those that like competetive-fun to set up the game the way they like/need is a big mistake.

the way the game is now is fine if youre playing it on a console (console players dont need alot of customization), but since I play it on a pc I require more options, and its obvious im not the only one that feels that way.

youve heard what people want, need, and what they expected of this game when it was released. most if not all of these fixes should be a part of the first point release.

some things can be left to mods, but we shouldnt be forced to download a mod to get what should have been in the game to begin with.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-31-2005 11:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

d1g wrote:
Quote:
there is no perfect game

this is mostly true, but as far as competetive multiplayer games goes, quake 3 IS the perfect game.

no extra movment gimmicks (strafing doesnt count because its a proven, and effecient means of travel)...

While you, I and many people on this forum probably agree with that, I'm sure many a gamer disagrees on that. I've heard the "Quake 3 doesn't even have an alternate fire feature" argument many times, which just illustrates how many people want dumbed down FPS games like Counter-Strike and (dare I say it....) Unreal Tournament.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-31-2005 12:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

after a few days i have to say the models are too dark. i don't want my eyes bleeding after 10mins of play.

also the netcode "seems" to be a little shakey. i have not seen anyone with a stable ping yet. if the ingame display is anything to go by.

i notice empty servers are smooth untill someone joins then it starts to get choppy.(with solid 60fps)

i'll play it like this for awhile. if there is no mention of fixes i will likely drop it and go back to bf2.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-31-2005 12:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

d1g wrote:
Quote:
there is no perfect game

with a few fixes q4 could be the next perfect game.

red and blue instead of green and orange or atleast glowing skins in team games if this color scheme is kept. as it is right now, the majority of people will shoot teammates as often as enemies. you could go with more contrasting colors if not red and blue, how about green and white? or white and yellow?

brighter skins in ffa games aswell...along with more player models including but not limited to female player models. and more player sounds aswell...this one sound for all thing is boring after playing q3 for 6 years.

mouse acceleration is needed for those of us that have spent the past 6 years in quake 3 getting used to it.

a bit more air control is needed aswell...not cpm air control, just more vq3-ish

splash damage radius needs to be toned down on grenades and rockets...especially grenades...

shotgun damage needs to be toned down a bit aswell, and the shot spread needs to be a little less random to compensate.

the weapon that wants to be(and should have been) a bfg needs to be tweaked aswell. the one in q3 was nice, but it fired too fast. this dm-gun fires too fast for the radius it has and is too easily spammed...either slow the fire speed or tone down the dmg radius or both (imo both is best, and since sp and mp are as different as they are this will not hurt sp at all)

footsteps....change them..

scripting needs to be as easily done as in q3. this goes without saying and should have been in the game to begin with.

the pm_bob commands need to be client side instead of server side..again goes without saying..

ive already said it but...strafing up curved stairs...make it so!

I know there are alot of people that play this game to have fun, but there are alot of people still that play this game competetivly to have fun(and competetivly to make money ;)). not allowing those that like competetive-fun to set up the game the way they like/need is a big mistake.

the way the game is now is fine if youre playing it on a console (console players dont need alot of customization), but since I play it on a pc I require more options, and its obvious im not the only one that feels that way.

youve heard what people want, need, and what they expected of this game when it was released. most if not all of these fixes should be a part of the first point release.

some things can be left to mods, but we shouldnt be forced to download a mod to get what should have been in the game to begin with.

f1 to all of that.

I finally got my config where I think it will be playable last night before my wife started calling, so after tonight I will give my full thoughts on the MP, the Single Player will have to wait a few years till I can get a computer that can do it justice. :dork:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.