Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        new textures

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: new textures

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 02:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am using the in-game editor to make my first Q4 map (as I know of no other editor available). I used radiant with q3.

I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to get the textures window to see MY textures. It only lists the ones that came with the game and it also shows ones from new maps I've downloaded and installed.

so far, ive tried making a textures/mymap folder in baseq4 and also tried making a pk4 file with the appropriate pathing to the textures and placed that pk4 file in baseq4.

nothing works. HELP!!!!!!!!!! thanks

denzii.visible = false
denzii.visible = false
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 02:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ask Odium, he has the technology.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 06:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Look into the pk4s that you've downloaded where their custom textures show in the editor. They've created the proper <mapname>.mtr file in the q4base/materials folder. You need to do the same.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 02:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You NEED to make a material file to go with you textures, no matter what. Otherwise, the editor wont see your textures.

So, make a new .mtr file (or copy/rename/edit a Q4 one), and paste the following inside and edit where needed:

textures/cabbage/fishface
{
bumpmap textures/cabbage/fishface_local.tga
diffusemap textures/cabbage/fishface_d.tga
specularmap textures/cabbage/fishface_s.tga
}

That will point to your local map, your diffuse map and finally your specular map, in that order. Of course if you want bigger or more effects (Such as heigh maps) then you need to edit your shader more.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 11:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

THANKS GUYS!

man........why do they have to keep changing things??? That info used to be in shader files and the master shader text file thingy.

and i dont know what those extra map types are but I guess i'll learn eventually.......I've also discovered that unlike the previous editors, this one doesnt do a default lighting so you can test your map out.......i mean its all dark when i just do the bsp compile...the other editors used default light when u did that.

say, how do i get ahold of an ADMIN on this forum? My account was deactivated due to inactivity and after getting the pw reset, it wont let me change my profile page cuz it says someone is already using my email address..........and that someone is ME! haha

anyhoo, thanks for the help guys! much appreciated! .. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.........any tutorials out there yet?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 12:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

default lighting - Q4 can do ambient lighting. Method put up a good tutorial on it here: http://www.gamedesign.net/node/1186

summary: make one big light that covers the whole map. Use lights/ambientlight_nofall texture with the light intensity turned way down low.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.