Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Finally got some time to play Quake 4...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Finally got some time to play Quake 4...

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 01-22-2006 11:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aint played any games in ages, just got back from singapore and got a few days off work still so thought I'd give Q4 a shot (bought the special edition whilst in sg).

My thoughts... jesus christ I love Raven :D Lives up to everything I expected, graphics are top notch 8/10 atleast, I have seen better but atleast these run consistantly and smoothly and they're sufficient enough to create an atmosphere and they wow you when necessary. 10/10 for actual application of the graphics. Sound is amazing, playing with headphones because I couldn't be bothered trying to figure out how to make surround work with this dumbass korean soundcard (I have the HDA Mystique, the Dolby Digital Live one...). The sound creates the perfect atmosphere once again, amazing. Finally, the gameplay. I'm upto the data processing turn on the TSDs part, and uptil now, I've enjoyed every second. Only one part made me go "oh ffs" which was the sewers/zombies bit, and I ALWAYS hate those (which is why I never play Resident evil and alike), and even that part was enjoyable and fun (ended up thinking "fuck it" and just run around ballistic with a shotgun :D) The vehichles are so much fun and luckily not overdone and the storyline is intruiging which is a lot better than the usual id game (thx Raven :D).

To be honest, i was thinking of giving this game a miss, and just waiting for QW's as it seemed more my type of game. After playing this, I realise how humoungous a mistake that would have been.

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 01-22-2006 11:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, and in terms of "scariness", I find this much scarier than Doom. The current section with the TSDs, I was approaching each room with so much caution and my nerves were racked the entire time. Doom really doesn't have shit on this game in terms of atmosphere.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 01-22-2006 11:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

turb, i think that you are with the minority when it comes to the comments..

but glad to hear that someone liked it. :)

neh
neh
PostPosted: 01-22-2006 11:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i didnt bother finishing the sp game - and the mp is pretty unplayable unless you switch to sub q3 visuals in xb etc

denzii.visible = false
denzii.visible = false
PostPosted: 01-22-2006 11:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I liked it as well.
Most people don't really have an open mind when it comes to re-makes or sequels of games. The popularity of Quake 3 was too great to create anything better. I think id and raven did a great job on both SP and MP aspects of this game. But a lot of people will not leave quake 3 for anything and they will put down quake 4 in the process. I prefer to evolve, but others would prefer to live in the past.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-22-2006 11:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1100 Q4 players on gamespy stats today, more then I would have thought really so maybe its picking up. THen again you have those dorks playing CS or CSS, 155 000... :dork:

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 01-22-2006 12:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was a massive Q2 fan... Q2 should not've been called quake to be honest...

We have the Doom series, where all games run in series... (kinda)... then you have the Quake series, where you could say Q1 and Q3 are linked... and Q2 and Q4 and QW's are linked. From a Q2 perspective, Q4 is an excellent sequel. I just played CTF in Q4 (remember, Q2CTF? Zoids... it was amazing!!) and Q4 does a champion remake.

The game is sluggish in mp tbh though, I need to crank down the settings (running 1600x1200, high quality with 2x aa atm... go figure )

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 01-22-2006 01:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

all the morons complaining that q4 is gay don't have the rig to run it...simple as that..next

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 01-22-2006 01:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if the game is performing badly in terms of online players playing it, i bet it'll see a new lease of life a year down the line when people can actually run it on their normal home rigs

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-22-2006 02:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Duhard wrote:
all the morons complaining that q4 is gay don't have the rig to run it...simple as that..next

Agree.... :icon25:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-22-2006 02:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I really enjoyed Quake 4. Unfortunately though I started on too hard of a skill level and games aren't fun for me if they're too hard, so I had to start over, which sucked. But overall it's a pretty solid game. The game runs absolutely smooth as silk on my machine, which is more than I can say for Doom 3. I don't know what Raven did to the engine, but it's as smooth as Quake 3.

But being completely honest, and this is hard for me, I'm a huge loyal fan of Raven, they're in my hometown, looking at the Prey preview... it blows Q4 away. Human Head is in my home town too... Same engine, totally different styles. While watching the preview for Prey I just keep thinking "So this is what really creative people can do with the Doom 3 engine". Quake 4 was very straight forward, like Doom 3. The enemies run at you and you shoot them. You might want to believe you're thinking when it comes to competing objectives and missions, but you're simply following the path the level designers set for you and you can't really go the wrong way. Needless to say, I'm anxiously awaiting Prey. I think it's going to blow HL2, D3, and Q4 completely out of the water. I believe Prey is going to set a new water mark.

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 01-22-2006 03:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm in no ways saying this game is the best game ever etc etc, sure Prey could be better... just saying it's way more than I expected and I'm really enjoying it.

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 01-22-2006 03:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

okay, just watched the prey trailer... not impressed :|

it seems to be one of those "too many ideas, only got a chance to make one game, I'm gonna cram them all in this one" games. basically, too much creativity, no flow or essence to the game.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-22-2006 03:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, I got a totally different impression from the preview. I was totally blown away. But what you're saying about it is what people were saying in '97 about this Half Life game they were seeing previews for, and look how that turned out. :)

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 01-23-2006 12:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to prey. Its the fact that its got so many NEW ideas that appeals to me. I dont want another dark shooter with no open terrain and a shotgun.

At least in Prey, its a dark shooter with a lot of nice puzzles and cool ideas :p

Shame... The Quake 4 engine and even the ET:QW engine is so outdated already... I was looking at those Crytech engine shots and they are stunning, as are the new unreal ones... Its a shame, because in my eyes id cant make GREAT games anymore and instead focus on the gameplay, which, tbh, isn't anywhere near as good as it could of been. At least ET:QW will play great... I hope...

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-23-2006 03:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SonicClang wrote:
Unfortunately though I started on too hard of a skill level and games aren't fun for me if they're too hard, so I had to start over, which sucked.
I finished it on the hardest level right away. :P One of the things that i really liked was how agressive some of the monsters were (killing you with one blow). The way your teammates can kill those huge railgun Strogg with one blow too is a bit silly though. Finishing the Makron off at the end was extremely easy (damaging him the 1st time was way harder). Kinda lame...

But the atmosphere in D3 really felt much scarier to me.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-23-2006 04:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I welcomed a less scarey game. I felt Doom 3 was too scarey, but in a cheesy horror film kind of way. cheep parlor tricks, it was a one trick pony.

I agree the CryEngine 2 looks absolutely incredible. Clouds? Come on that's awesome! :) I loved FarCry, I can't wait to see what they do with the next engine.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-23-2006 05:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I meant the overall atmosphere (sounds of breathing in the background, babies and women crying, made me shiver at times :) ). Not just the monsters coming out of the walls (that gets predictable).

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 01-23-2006 06:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*hears a weak whisper*
gameplay > looks
*fades away quickly*

Holy Fucking Shit
Holy Fucking Shit
PostPosted: 01-23-2006 07:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oeloe wrote:
Not just the monsters coming out of the walls (that gets predictable).

Though the one at the start of Q4 made me jump :p. Sadly, I gave up with Q4 because it's just too slow on my old rig. Saying that, what I did play, I enjoyed.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-23-2006 07:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Definitely enjoyed the SP game. Full of interesting surprises. For example, I was blown away when I saw the Hannibal land in the field. Really wasn't expecting that. I was expecting to see a small drop ship come pick me up, not some huge mothership flying in and landing.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-23-2006 10:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Definitely enjoyed the SP game. Full of interesting surprises. For example, I was blown away when I saw the Hannibal land in the field. Really wasn't expecting that. I was expecting to see a small drop ship come pick me up, not some huge mothership flying in and landing.
Played Jedi Knight 2? That scene reminded me of JK2, which altogether probably impressed me more than Q4.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-23-2006 01:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Hannibal landing in the field was one of the most incredible things I've seen in a game. I had to load my last quick save a bunch of times just to watch it again.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.