Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Framerate capped at 60fps?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Framerate capped at 60fps?

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 03-29-2006 06:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi all,
is it my system capping Q4 at 60fps or is it capped in-game? I can't seem to find any files which would allow it to be uncapped like I used to be able to with Q3.

Any help would be much appreciated.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-29-2006 08:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's the Doom 3 engine (which is used for Q4) that caps the fps to 60, to prevent things like the speed boost you get at 125 fps in Q3.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 03-29-2006 08:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck, that's pretty lame. Oh well thanks for your reply.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 03-30-2006 08:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why?? 60 fps is more than enough dont you think??

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 03-30-2006 08:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

with the new patch 65fps runs smoothly for me. I have no complaints

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-30-2006 08:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the cap can be changed server side iirc - the exact command escapes me for the time being though :)

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-30-2006 09:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Zimbo wrote:
It's 'enough', but more fps makes things noticeably smoother and easier on the eyes.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 03-30-2006 09:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oeloe wrote:
It's the Doom 3 engine (which is used for Q4) that caps the fps to 60, to prevent things like the speed boost you get at 125 fps in Q3.

is stuff still frame-based? thought they changed it

oh yeah!
oh yeah!
PostPosted: 03-30-2006 11:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oeloe wrote:

NO!

The way the doom 3 engine was written, there is no longer the necessity for 125 fps to ensure proper movement.

60 FPS is more than enough on this engine.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-30-2006 11:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe you should read my post again. I didn't say 125 fps are needed in Q4/D3. Physics are obviously still not framerate independant though, otherwise the 60 fps cap wouldn't be necessary. FPS are just capped at 60 to keep the tic rate constant. Weird things happen when com_fixedtic is disabled.

oh yeah!
oh yeah!
PostPosted: 03-30-2006 12:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oeloe wrote:
Maybe you should read my post again. I didn't say 125 fps are needed in Q4/D3. Physics are obviously still not framerate independant though, otherwise the 60 fps cap wouldn't be necessary. FPS are just capped at 60 to keep the tic rate constant. Weird things happen when com_fixedtic is disabled.

Did you read what I wrote?

Here:

John Carmack wrote:
The game tic simulation, including player movement, runs at 60hz, so if it rendered any faster, it would just be rendering identical frames. A fixed tic rate removes issues like Quake 3 had, where some jumps could only be made at certain framerates. In Doom, the same player inputs will produce the same motions, no matter what the framerate is.

more than 60 fps are not needed on this engine.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 03-30-2006 02:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Zimbo wrote:

Well I assumed that excessive frames would help with manouverability like it did in Q3 but as I read more posts in this thread I see that it's apparently not necessary.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-30-2006 07:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

duffman91 wrote:
more than 60 fps are not needed on this engine.
I didn't say it was. :puke: I know it doesn't do much as long as the tic rate is fixed at 60 Hz.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 03-30-2006 08:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

More than 60fps isn't "needed," no. But the more, the better, as far as smoothness is concerned. Wish I could raise it to 75 or sth.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-31-2006 02:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if your computer is able to render at 75fps but the game caps it at 60 it doesnt matter for the smoothness, since it can hypothetically render more

FragaGeddon
FragaGeddon
PostPosted: 03-31-2006 03:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This did this so that everybody would have the same movement, therefore people with l33t systems wouldn't gain an advantage.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-31-2006 04:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
if your computer is able to render at 75fps but the game caps it at 60 it doesnt matter for the smoothness, since it can hypothetically render more
Eh? Duplicate rendered frames obviously can't make things smoother because you can't see the difference between the frames. :) But if the tick rate could be set to 75 Hz it would be smoother.

If vsync was possible without mouse lags, that would be interesting though. The negative impact on mouse input (delays) makes it unusable for anyone playing Q3 or Q4 (or D3) online.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-31-2006 12:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
maintaining 60 seems to make a huge difference vs getting less than 60 (feel-wise)

that was what i meant, indeed.
i worded it quite poorly :(

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 04-04-2006 07:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why the hell and how is VYSNC related to mouse response ?

Jagou

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-04-2006 11:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, the engine waits to draw the next frame until the next vertical of the monitor takes place. Somehow it lags mouse input in Q3 and in D3/Q4 too. The difference is very obvious when you toggle r_swapinterval in the game (just sweep the mouse from the left to the right).

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 04-05-2006 02:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I believe you. Just seems odd. I suppose, the screen and the mouse / cursor / crosshair.... have to be in sync for it to register properly. In other words if you move the mouse inbetween a redraw, it has to finish the draw before it can update where the crosshair is supposed to be.

That's me speculating, I really have no clue how it really works.

Sounds pretty good though doesn't it :P

Jagou

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.