Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends
        Radioactive Games are the ones to license the Q3 engine...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Radioactive Games are the ones to license the Q3 engine...

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-18-2005 02:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://ragames.atw.hu/

Guess this is it, after this game the Q3 source will be released...

Wonder if they will fix the skybox bug before release. :icon26:

EDIT: Blurb from PQ

Radioactive Games has announced a new game currently in development for the Quake 3 Engine. Survivor of Disaster is expected to be released summer 2006, and the first screenshots from the title have just been released. At the moment they do not have an English version of their website, but the game is based on an alien invasion. The first episode will be similar to DOOM, where their Marine goes on a routine check of the space station, Base 63, where all hell breaks loose. It's time to get back to earth to help save mankind, and then take a trip to the alien planet to teach them a lesson! Visit Radioactive Games for a little in-game taste of how things are coming along. There are also a number of weapon shots available.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-18-2005 05:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay, so we're waiting for the sourcecode because of a piece of crap like that game? Jeez, some of the newer mappers at Q3W create better looking maps than that!

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 02-18-2005 05:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seriously... that, with all honesty, looks like some mod that would show up at PQ. I realize it's still in alpha or whatever, but man, that's bad.

It's a shame that the source release is postponed because of... that.

diabolical besier hugger in disguise
diabolical besier hugger in disguise
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 10:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so ive been waiting for the source to be relased for over a year now, and then this comes up, saddens the shit outta me, if you click a few buttons you even learn to know that their project manager is 16 year old...
then theres 2 guys of 40, and the rest is 15 year or younger. I wonder if ID realises the joke of their plannings..

also, i immediately recalled the use of a evil lair texture in one of the shots, and whats probably even more obvious, is the use of another game dev's artwork on the top of their web o_O

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 12:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's weird... I wonder how they got the money.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 12:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think they know and are shooting for the bargain bin anyway.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 06:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's kind of odd, you know.

id knows these guys aren't going to make any money. The company knows they won't make any money...

id knows we all want the q3 source, and philanthropic as they are, aren't releasing it because of this game. Funny situation.

I wish these guys would just call it quits so the important stuff we've been waiting for can commence.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 06:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And furhter taking away from their credibility:

The banner at the top of their site features a World of Warcraft picture and a WolfET picture.

Oh, not to mention their awesome DOOM 3 project:

Survive of disaster

Faded Dream
Faded Dream
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 12:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:
And furhter taking away from their credibility:

The banner at the top of their site features a World of Warcraft picture and a WolfET picture.

Oh, not to mention their awesome DOOM 3 project:

Survive of disaster

...wow so i can't mess with Q3A because of this...
do they actually expect this game to get shelf space? do they have a publisher? gah :tear:

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 12:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm still wondering how a 16 year old managed to come up with the piles of cash it takes to get the goods from id.

Faded Dream
Faded Dream
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 12:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:
I'm still wondering how a 16 year old managed to come up with the piles of cash it takes to get the goods from id.

blind guess would be a substantive inheritance.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 10:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So mebbe there's still a chance their project will get axed if they are really using other peoples textures and such. :p

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 12:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pray for it.

I mean, really, I can't see this thing making it into a box on a shelf in a real store. :)

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 04:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ive been unable to load the site :|

if you were id, and some kid came to you with 250 g's to purchase your engine for use in a commercial product, what would you care beyond that? the only thing they'd worry about is the portrayal of their engine if they were trying to sell it - well they arent, it is over 5 years old, they have a new engine. illegal use of assets? not id's problem.

hmmm 250k or not 250k...

but they are still faced with the issue of giving away an engine that they just licensed, for their reputation and future engine sales there's no way they could, because who's to know what a developer will do with it.

btw, wasnt there already some promising game by a russian (?) developer that turned out to be a pos and used illegal assets? cant remember the name but it was discussed in the old idl...
was that q3 engine?

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 07:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

blakjack wrote:
btw, wasnt there already some promising game by a russian (?) developer that turned out to be a pos and used illegal assets? cant remember the name but it was discussed in the old idl...
was that q3 engine?

Kreed. Sooo funny, Sarge from DOOM 3 is the model they use for your commanding officer guy if I remember correctly. :)

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 07:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

doh, i searched for breed :(

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 08:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't know where you can still download the demo, but if your computer can handle modern gen games, you should give it try because it's monumentally bad. It had some promise in terms of style, but man it was haaardcore bad. :) Think I'll try to find it now.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 09:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Demo's over at 3D Gamers...

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/kreed/downloads/

Judging from the 'german fix' they have over there it must of been released overseas then. IIRC they also used other materials from Q3 like some sounds and blood splashes and fireballs.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 11:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

omfg, I love this game!!

I forgot how awesome the English voice-overs are in the demo. :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 12:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaziganthe wrote:
They also used Berneyboy's photorealistic tex pack, which specifically said in the readme not to use in commercial projects. Someone ought to email id about this.

Yeah, their main menu background is stolen from o'dium and berserk's Quake2Evolved project. Stupid cunts.

From id Software's point of view I can understand they're interested in the money and something as "heroic" or "honorable" business does not exist, but I would be very worried about my own credibility if I sold my best sold engine ever to a group of amateurs just because they have the money. They obviously lack the skills.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 03:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Where's the main menu shot?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 11:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 12:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What the hell are these people thinking anyway? Are they completely utterly blind, retarded or something like that? Which idiot would shell out a quarter of a million dollar to do something which they could've done in the form of a mod as well? If they made a mod, people would probably at least download it and try it because it's free. But this just won't sell.

For some reason I can just get mad at this. Not because we now have to wait for the sourcecode (I don't really care, I wouldn't have done anything with it either, and to be honest, I find Q1/Q2 engine mods much more interesting because they bridge a much bigger gap towards current day graphics than the Q3 engine).

The point is just that these people think they're quite something. They think they have skills good enough to make a commercial product, something which even an idiot could see they don't. Considering their level of amateurism, I'd even go as far as to say that they're probably the "OMG L33T I BUILD MY FIRST MAP OMG OMG I ROXXOR SOOOO GOOOOD! I OWNT YUO BITCHEZZZZ" type of people.

The worst part of all is that they have to get that kind of money from somewhere. Their project leader is 16 years old? Oh yeah, that smells of parent funding. Parents fucking stupid enough to give them this kind of money and go like "ooh I'm soooo proud of my son, he's a real game developer. I'll do anything to make his dreams true". You know, the type of parent that would say their sweet little boy is innocent when they find their kid with a knife, covered in blood, kneeled down over a dead body with half a dozen stabbing wounds. They'd say "it's the fault of the knife fabricator". Keep the money and buy a bloody Ferrari for the kid next time 'kay?

It's just such egocentrism, a total lack of respect towards the real artists and coders you find in companies like id Software, Epic, Valve, Blizzard... hell, even Electronic Arts and countless of other companies who create at least half-decent games.

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 05:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://uniq.hu/ragames

Their forum... :paranoid: :paranoid: :paranoid: :paranoid: :paranoid:

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 01:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you guys sure these are the guys that id refers to when they say they just sold the engine again?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 01:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:
Are you guys sure these are the guys that id refers to when they say they just sold the engine again?

Yeah indeed, this seems rather unbelievable. Are PQ sure they're right?

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 03:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I told odium about it his reply was 'ffs not again'. :clownboat:

I guess we can't be 100% sure at the moment if this IS the latest game based on Q3 technology. But if it's true hopefully we can at least complain to id, I've seen odium take proactive stances on these type of situations before, maybe he can say something to them. :icon31:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 03:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

still cant load the site, ah well, i must be on a different 'Internet'

i do however see they cancelled their doom3 mod because they couldnt find a programmer :icon19:

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 05:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The best thing of all is simply the DOOM 3 project's title. :)

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 09:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
What the hell are these people thinking anyway? Are they completely utterly blind, retarded or something like that? Which idiot would shell out a quarter of a million dollar to do something which they could've done in the form of a mod as well? If they made a mod, people would probably at least download it and try it because it's free. But this just won't sell.

For some reason I can just get mad at this. Not because we now have to wait for the sourcecode (I don't really care, I wouldn't have done anything with it either, and to be honest, I find Q1/Q2 engine mods much more interesting because they bridge a much bigger gap towards current day graphics than the Q3 engine).

The point is just that these people think they're quite something. They think they have skills good enough to make a commercial product, something which even an idiot could see they don't. Considering their level of amateurism, I'd even go as far as to say that they're probably the "OMG L33T I BUILD MY FIRST MAP OMG OMG I ROXXOR SOOOO GOOOOD! I OWNT YUO BITCHEZZZZ" type of people.

The worst part of all is that they have to get that kind of money from somewhere. Their project leader is 16 years old? Oh yeah, that smells of parent funding. Parents fucking stupid enough to give them this kind of money and go like "ooh I'm soooo proud of my son, he's a real game developer. I'll do anything to make his dreams true". You know, the type of parent that would say their sweet little boy is innocent when they find their kid with a knife, covered in blood, kneeled down over a dead body with half a dozen stabbing wounds. They'd say "it's the fault of the knife fabricator". Keep the money and buy a bloody Ferrari for the kid next time 'kay?

It's just such egocentrism, a total lack of respect towards the real artists and coders you find in companies like id Software, Epic, Valve, Blizzard... hell, even Electronic Arts and countless of other companies who create at least half-decent games.

Heh I always liked your way of thinking... it might not be 100% true but it looks pretty spot on. ;)

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 09:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Look at the obvious rips. :icon1:

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 10:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Given the exchange rate, a quarter of a million dollars is all but unattainable in Hungary. I suspect the story's wrong; a 16 year old definitely didn't get his parents to stump up for that.

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 10:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just tried Kreed and it's sort of interesting, the level design is weird but sort of original and I've never seen some of the effects used in the game. Voice acting is horrible thou.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 10:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Totally agree with the comments so far plus those arn't their weapons models either, they're from the community, I've got half of them on my HDD (as I'm sure have you guys)... I'm sorry but if they're going to tell me they have a 'great' product in the works I'd at least expect to see just that... *their* work... that really does looks shite, bad blocky brushwork, bad lighting, bad texture work (and use of).. oh boy.....

PostPosted: 02-25-2005 11:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So if someone wanted to use the Quake 3 engine, they have to pay ID $250K?! Damn, I really need to do something with my life.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.