Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends
        O'dium, Q2E ETA?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: O'dium, Q2E ETA?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 12:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey o'dium, I'm planning on starting a project that's very similar to the demo scene thing you'll find at http://www.scene.org

The thing is, a few people at work got intruiged by these demos and, just for the fun of it, we started a sort of competition to create the coolest demo.

No one really has the abilities to create any high quality stuff, so it's just a humorous poke at the whole demo thing. But I wanted to take an alternative approach.

I had this idea of using Keygrip2 (http://www.planetquake.com/keygrip) to recam a Quake 2 demo. I wanted to create a visually interesting map. Not something you'd play in, but something with... well, I dunno, cool glowy things and stuff.

However, since Quake 2 is a fairly old engine, supports only 8 bit textures and let's not get started about the lack of any sort of shader support, I quickly jumped to the conclusion that using Q2E would be really, really cool. That is, the one with per-pixel lighting.

I have some good ideas on what to do with it. There might be something in it for you as well, as it could be interesting promotion for the capabilities of your engine. I'm hoping not to toot my own horn here too much, but I would like to explore the possibilities in extensive use of the per pixel lighting capabilities of the engine.

So to achieve all that, I have a few questions about the engine:
1) What is the ETA on the PPL enabled version of Q2E
2) Will this version still support the .dm2 file format? That's all I can feed into keygrip2
3) What BSP file format does it use? Which editor should I use to create maps?
4) Is there a shader manual of some sorts?
5) How customizable is the menu system? Most importantly the loading screen. I'm probably going to try and strip off all Quake 2 content and release the thing as a seperate executable with just the content for the demo, starting the whole thing by executing a cfg file. It would bypass any menu systems but would leave the loading screen unchanged.
6) What types of audio files does it play? Still limited to WAV or have you added MP3 or maybe OGG support?

Are there any technical problems you yourself would forsee in this idea?

Thanks for your help

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 12:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh and if anyone has any interest in helping me create this thing, I love working in teams so hey, why not :)

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 02:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well since odium seems to be making a conscious effort to avoid idl I'll see if I can answer some of those q's:

ETA on a public release? Don't know. You can download the 'closed' beta right now though, that supports ppl. Check their forums or the sourceforge page for an updated build. I believe someone or in part of the q2e community is making new textures to generally spiff up the mp maps. Right now, you'll get just ppl with all the old art assets. But, I believe there is a retexturing project for q2. I might have a nice pak with updated textures too, I'll link you to em if you want to have a look.

2) Will this version still support the .dm2 file format? That's all I can feed into keygrip2

I haven't tried playing around with demos in older builds of q2e, but it seems to always been said that demo support is sort of crippled in q2e. This probably has to do in part because of the netcode problems. Which is why they are planning an updated version of ctf for q2e. Other q2 multiplayer mods prolly won't be compatible. You might have a tough time getting demos working nicely, I dunno.

I think they where going to try and support q3's bsp format, I dunno how far they got with that. But the new builds of gtkradiant should fully support q2 and q2e. Check their site to see if there are any q2e prefabs you might need to use with it.

http://www.quake2evolved.com/rtrm.htm

That's all I could gather. :)

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 02:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Oh and if anyone has any interest in helping me create this thing, I love working in teams so hey, why not :)

If you need any actors in your production then I would gladly run around in the maps and take direction from the overzealous director. :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-16-2005 01:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
Well since odium seems to be making a conscious effort to avoid idl I'll see if I can answer some of those q's:

ETA on a public release? Don't know. You can download the 'closed' beta right now though, that supports ppl. Check their forums or the sourceforge page for an updated build. I believe someone or in part of the q2e community is making new textures to generally spiff up the mp maps. Right now, you'll get just ppl with all the old art assets. But, I believe there is a retexturing project for q2. I might have a nice pak with updated textures too, I'll link you to em if you want to have a look.

Yeah I found version 0.66 but found that if I run it I get missing textures everywhere and all the maps are completely black. I guess I'm missing some pak file with resources but I couldn't find anything like that.

dzjepp wrote:

I haven't tried playing around with demos in older builds of q2e, but it seems to always been said that demo support is sort of crippled in q2e. This probably has to do in part because of the netcode problems. Which is why they are planning an updated version of ctf for q2e. Other q2 multiplayer mods prolly won't be compatible. You might have a tough time getting demos working nicely, I dunno.

That could really screw things up

Thanks for your response dzjepp :icon14:

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-22-2005 03:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like I lost my old account. Anyway... :paranoid:

Eraser wrote:

For a proper release? No idea.
As dzjepp said, there's a public beta, which is only recommended for developers willing to contribute work, or for the curious.

ATM, is not optimized, but it should be pretty stable (except for the common ATI problems).

Eraser wrote:

The current build still supports .dm2 demos.

Eraser wrote:

We're still using Q2 BSP.
Any editor that works with Q2 should work with Q2E too.
The current build also includes an integrated light editor for adding/editing light sources in-game.

Eraser wrote:

Nope, but most of this applies to Q2E: http://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/materials.php

Eraser wrote:
5) How customizable is the menu system? Most importantly the loading screen. I'm probably going to try and strip off all Quake 2 content and release the thing as a seperate executable with just the content for the demo, starting the whole thing by executing a cfg file. It would bypass any menu systems but would leave the loading screen unchanged.

The current build still lacks a scriptable GUI system, so if you need more than new images you'll need to modify some code. It should be very easy, as long as you have some programming knowledge.

Eraser wrote:
6) What types of audio files does it play? Still limited to WAV or have you added MP3 or maybe OGG support?

Sound effects are still limited to WAV.
There is OGG support for background tracks tho (but only background tracks for now). They replace the original CD audio tracks, but you can play any by using the "music" console command.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 11-22-2005 08:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello 'serk :D You might be able to get your old account back if you give a shout to one of the admins (try that phag doomer), just give him your info... ;)

And ask odium why he's trying to avoid idl, which in turn is forcing people like me to spit misinformation about the mod. :p

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-22-2005 08:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, it's been a while since my lost post here :paranoid:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-22-2005 11:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I read some of berserk's posts over at the Q2E forums and my head's still spinning from all that technical talk :D

Thanks for your reply here btw

Back & Forth
Back & Forth
PostPosted: 11-24-2005 05:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

|Berserk| wrote:
Yeah, it's been a while since my lost post here :paranoid:

ages man, we miss you.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-25-2005 07:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't posted on a forum other than mine for quite some time now. Maybe it's the lack of time :shrug:

Eraser: you think my posts are too techie? Oh well, I tried my best :paranoid:
What gets to my nerves are all those posts about the lack of lighting, when we explicitly stated the release is only meant for developers.

Anyway, is raw still in charge here or what? I'd like to get my old account back. Who should I mail?

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 11-25-2005 07:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
Hello 'serk :D You might be able to get your old account back if you give a shout to one of the admins (try that phag doomer), just give him your info... ;)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-28-2005 12:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

|Berserk| wrote:
Eraser: you think my posts are too techie? Oh well, I tried my best :paranoid:

Heh no :D

If the person the post was ment for understands what you're saying then that's quite allright. There's lots of non techy stuff you posted as well (at least, here at Q3W you did I think).

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.