Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends
        What defined each Quakes MP?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: What defined each Quakes MP?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-26-2005 09:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So with Q4 out now for some time, I am wondering what defined the earlier games? I didnt play until Q3, so what made QW, and Q2 the games they were? Weapon balance, map types, physics, that kind of stuff.

Would it ever be possible to make a game which actually does meet the desires of each games fanatics or are they all just to seperate in the details and each game will have those who stick with it instead of move on?

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 11-26-2005 09:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hard to say. I didn't really play much q1 mp, but playied a fair bit of q2 mp. For me a lot of q2 goodness was the weapons and the maps. The super shotgun, rocket launcher and hyperblaster were my favorites.

I don't think it's possible to please everyone with a game. There's just too much variance in what people like.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-26-2005 09:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well yeah it isnt possible to please everyone, but if what made QW great doesnt clash with what made Q2 great, and so on it should, if a developer actually cared, be possible to make uberQuake, atleast that is my dream... :tear:

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 11-26-2005 10:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q1's MP was defined by being the game where it all got big. Doom had a bit of a multiplayer following, but Quake hit and the player base exploded from a few hundred to a few thousand gamers and kept on growing. Also, Quake pretty much single-handedly kicked off the 3d accelerator market.

QuakeWorld was a serious advancement as well that helped drive the MP experience.

Since Q1 was the 'one' game to be playing MP at that time, the community was focused too.

Now you have (literally) hundreds of multiplayer titles and the player base is spread across them. hence even the best new game now won't have the MP vibe Q1 had.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 11-27-2005 09:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

jester! wrote:
So with Q4 out now for some time, I am wondering what defined the earlier games? I didnt play until Q3, so what made QW, and Q2 the games they were? Weapon balance, map types, physics, that kind of stuff.

NQ, QW and Q2 aren't really balanced: the first two are dominated by the RL and LG (not to mention the uber-RA), the last one is a rocket 'n' railfest. Q3A is the first game where iD pretty much got it right. There are some nitpicks, of course: the MG in FFA is far too strong, they might've toned down the LG a bit and armor decay is weak. But overall, Q3A is the most balanced game of the pack.

What made QW shine were the physics, which makes for really fast-paced DM, and the maps (DM1, DM6, aerowalk, woo!). Q2 has by far the best CTF: mod, maps and community. Q3A has some of the greatest mods - CPMA and Defrag come to mind - plus an awful lot of quality, community-made maps.

I don't have a real opinion on Q4 (yet) other than that it feels a bit sluggish.

jester! wrote:
Would it ever be possible to make a game which actually does meet the desires of each games fanatics

I think not. The various Quakes differ too much from each other: QW players loathe the Q2 physics, Q2 CTF players feel that Q3A CTF is crippled (no runes, no grapple), etc.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-28-2005 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So what if you could combine the aspects of all of them somehow?

QW- Take the heavy armour, have the LG be able to pin ppl, and up the rocket speed and or increase rocket damage to 125 direct but lower the splash? and take the physics?

Q2- Keep the rail we have now, many think it needs a nerf but if we are upping the RL/LG and Armour the one shot kill power of the RG is lessened if not removed. Turn Team Arena into Q2 CTF? I dont know if the techs are the same as the TA powerups. Take the ramp jumping too.

Q3- Decrease the MG, maybe give the SG a boost, and remove the knockback from the gaunt so its easier to kill ppl with it? Remove armour and health bleed.

Q4- Keep the crouch slide and GL, I dont know but I think its different somehow in a good way more accurate? Maybe its just the bigger hitbox.

I dont know, I wish I had been around for the earlier games so I had a better idea on the feel of them, and I really wish id/raven had just gotten in touch with the creators of the qw/q2/q3 mods and maps and if they werent going to spend their own time making Q4 MP great, just incorporate what made the past games so great... :tear:

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 11-29-2005 05:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

quake1 was good enough for me .. i'd still be playing it if quake3 didn't show up.

quake2 just flat out sucked if you ever played quake1 daily.

quake1 defined the genre and quake4 is a prettier quake1.

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 11-29-2005 06:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CPMA certainly attempted to integrate some of the elements of past quakes within the VQ3 chassis. The trick of course is that you can't take the best individual elements of qw and q2 (or whatever) and simply combine them simpliciter...you have to take a holistic approach at the front end (i.e., what type of game are you really after, how will the weapons interrelate with one another, etc.) and then get more specific. Each individual weapon and/or gameplay element has to be designed and/or chosen in terms of your starting priorities and how they fit in with all the other weapons/elements you are considering.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.