Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends
        First to tell me what engine this is gets a cookie :p

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: First to tell me what engine this is gets a cookie :p

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-27-2005 02:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 03-27-2005 02:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake II. :) Evolved.

And it looks freaking great. :)

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 03-27-2005 02:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Double post, out of amazement:

Mmmm WOW. That looks GREAT. Suddenly I'm looking forward to the next release more than ever. :)

I'm always bring this up, but did you guys decide what you're going to do with the demo compatibility? I know that if you break protocol it won't work, but is that so necessary?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-27-2005 02:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:
Double post, out of amazement:

Mmmm WOW. That looks GREAT. Suddenly I'm looking forward to the next release more than ever. :)

I'm always bring this up, but did you guys decide what you're going to do with the demo compatibility? I know that if you break protocol it won't work, but is that so necessary?

Yes and no. I know demos are a big thing so we may look into some kind of hack to allow old demos to work for you.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 03-27-2005 02:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:icon32: And the estimated time of availability for this new version of of Q2E is:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-27-2005 02:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:
:icon32: And the estimated time of availability for this new version of of Q2E is:

Well, about "2 weeks" :lol:

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 03-27-2005 09:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How does VQ2 look? :paranoid:

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 03-28-2005 04:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have you fixed the weapon clipping issues yet?

Back & Forth
Back & Forth
PostPosted: 03-28-2005 08:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looking good o'dium.

PostPosted: 03-28-2005 09:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
How does VQ2 look? :paranoid:

[lvlshot]http://members.cox.net/jwivie4/q2-mx-2.jpg[/lvlshot]

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 03-28-2005 09:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I meant VQ2 with the snazzy new effects and all... I mean isn't that a custom level with new textures that you showin us odium? :clownboat:

PostPosted: 03-28-2005 09:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, my bad.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 03-28-2005 09:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well look at the textures on that... doubt it's gonna look like that for regular Quake 2 cuz they haven't redone any of the textures yet (AFAIK :paranoid: ) it will look nice but not as nice as that. They really need to get someone to start churnin out the spanking new media. ;)

*Not flaming ya od so don't even start anything* :clownboat:

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 03-30-2005 09:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like a Doom 3 screenshot with Photoshoped Quake 2 HUD.

Method

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-31-2005 03:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How's the performance?

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 03-31-2005 03:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, given the whole "you need a 512 Mb video card to run Doom3 on Ultra" thing, and your bigger textures.

Although if you use the Quake 2 AI, that's a load off the processor....

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 03-31-2005 06:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heard Berserk mentioning that it will run slightly worse than Doom 3... cuz he can't optimize code like Carmack does. :clownboat:

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 03-31-2005 08:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bleh -- point is, it's going to be out there, for free.

One day you will have a rig powerful enough to run it well, and you'll be glad that it was made the way it is. :)

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-01-2005 01:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Performance is great ATM. Even with lots fo cross section lights its pretty good.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 04-01-2005 02:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The floor textures looks kinda funky (in a strange way), reminds me of EvilLairs eCel textures.

Paragon of Cruelty
Paragon of Cruelty
PostPosted: 04-18-2005 11:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looking good. I want to play it :D

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 04-19-2005 05:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the demo video was all black ?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-19-2005 07:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

prolly missing a codec

the demo video runs at like 15 fps though

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-20-2005 01:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Talking about our video?

You just need the divx codec, thats all!

But its an OLLLLLLLD video now so i'll put together something new soon for you all, with a proper test map and the latest build of ppl working ;)

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-20-2005 01:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
prolly missing a codec

the demo video runs at like 15 fps though

Because we told it too ;)

Otherwise, you can have a smooth video but 15meg, and we wanted a lot of people to see this.

I'll put together a new video later when i get back though.

PPL has changed a lot since this video. Bugs have been fixed, angles have been changes and normal mapping now works like it should.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-20-2005 03:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

run it through a warehouse map :A and dont cap it.
curious to see how it runs

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-20-2005 07:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You do know what this is, dont you?

I could be running the game at 1 fps my end yet i could make you watch a movie thats 999 fps.

I control the frame rate of the MOVIE, it doesn't get a say what it is. I capped the "movie" at 15FPS, because thats all you need to see things in motion. If I was to cap it at 30FPS, then it would be twice as large, if i was to cap it at 60, 4x as large etc etc

So, making a movie shows nobody the frame rate, because i control what the frame rate is ;)

BTw, the warehouse map is the hardest map we have to do because not only do i need to place lights BY HAND next to every light texture, but i also need to script the lights to turn on/off and include different light styles. Thats not working right as yet, so we cant do that.

As for FPS, its great, for me at least. I get about 60 FPS average in doom 3, and in Q2E i get about 120 average. Both, are because its capped at that level.

The problem is with lights intersecting each other. Any light that crosses paths with another light has a big FPS drop. This is the same n any PPL engine, it cant be fixed. And in Quake 2, there are areas with 50 lights just next to each other for no reason, then a few yards away pitch black areas. So its very hard to get areas looking "good" but "fast" too, so we are having to mess about quite a lot.

We could just do it the tenebrae way, and have every ambient light be a ppl light, thus having shadows that go everywhere and fps in the teens, but we dont want that.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-21-2005 12:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i know you capped the movie.
dont :D that is, make it run at 30fps

and about the warehouse map.. that sucks. give us another map then.

Quote:
The problem is with lights intersecting each other. Any light that crosses paths with another light has a big FPS drop. This is the same n any PPL engine, it cant be fixed.

i guess thats another reason not to use PPL then :o or no wait, thats another sign of id not doing things the most efficient way ;)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-21-2005 02:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
i guess thats another reason not to use PPL then :o or no wait, thats another sign of id not doing things the most efficient way ;)

I realise it's not a serious comment but in Doom 3's case it is the most efficient way of what can be done with a GeForce 3 :)

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-22-2005 08:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its not bad, but when you look at the difference between two light volumes and then two light volumes that intersect each other, the difference in frame rate becomes obvious.

However, the great thing about Per Pixel Lighting and Shadowing is that it can STILL look good, even with smaller radius on point lights. And, if you think about it, if a light is so big it will intersect with another light, the effect probably wont look very good at all, much to bright in fact.

The problem with Quake 2 is two fold, as i've said beffore; There are areas where there are a lot of light brushes next to each other. For these, we will have to either a) light each one of these with an actual light and risk the drop in FPS or b) plant "ambient lights" on each one of these, and only one or two with actual point lights, so that they light up everything as it would be, but dont cause a big FPS drop (This can look bad, as ambient lighting doesn't do anything other than light stuff up. It wont change normal maps or specular maps, wont even cast shadows).

THEN, there is the problem of areas with NO LIGHTS at all. These can be VERY hard to work out. I've come up with a way of lighting these areas in a Quake 2 style, even with no original light source in the map. I simply model a light that looks like a vanilla Quake 2 light brush, and script its origin in the area i would like a visible light source. Then, i script the light itself into this location, and it will look correct in game.

Both methods have hacky ways t ofix things but CAN be done.

Its all because Quake 2 was never supposed to be per pixel lit in the first place... Bummer... But we do try to get around silly situations ;)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-25-2005 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tr3B's also working on a Q2 source mod that you might be interested in. He's using deluxel mapping. Not sure if you guys are interested in combining your efforts... (hint, hint).

http://www.splashdamage.com/index.php?n ... c&p=113783

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-25-2005 11:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Treb is working on something different. hes using Qrazor FX, a mod that wont play Quake 2 stuff any more, doesn't have much to do with q2 other than it being based on quake 2 source. It loads doom 3 assets like maps and models.

Plus deluxe maps are behind us in terms of tech. Deluxe maps are precompiled to have certain angles. They look good, are fast, but are static. It als olacks proper per pixel shadow volumes, which we have already.

Its not really compatible with Q2E, and its a step backward for us.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.