Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends
        Full id Back Catalogue on Steam

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Full id Back Catalogue on Steam

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-04-2007 01:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Link

Quote:
id Software brings you some of the most popular game franchises in history via Steam. Starting today, you may download full versions of the complete DOOM series and QUAKE I - III, including mission packs, as well as id's pioneering PC side-scroller, Commander Keen and vintage favorites Wolfenstein 3D, Spear of Destiny, Heretic, and HeXen.

Includes various comprehensive package deals, one of which is the "id Super Pack": every last id game ever made.

I must admit, as time goes on, Steam is becoming one of my favourite ways to buy games.
Usually good prices with fair international exchange rates and access to any of my Steam games anywhere without having to worry about finding a disk to play.
Having to have an active internet connection is an incredibly minor downside when compared to the convenience.

My only worry with some of the older titles is the fact that they ship in vanilla flavour. Will people who have purchased old id games via Steam be able to use the various popular source ports?

leilei
leilei
PostPosted: 08-04-2007 06:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

three things that suck
- the dos games lack setup files so you can not redefine controls or start netgames
- they slapped DOSBox on instead of ports, plus they violate the GPL by removing any trace of license and acknowledgement of it (perhaps Valve's doing)
- no CD audio for Quake, Quake2, Hexen II, etc

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-04-2007 07:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rather big one that I didn't notice at first too...
No Quake 4.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-04-2007 11:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nor Portals of Praevus

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 08-06-2007 08:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do q3ers play with cd people or are they stuck in their little steam world? If it's the former I might have to buy this.

Faded Dream
Faded Dream
PostPosted: 08-08-2007 02:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Link

Quote:
id Software brings you some of the most popular game franchises in history via Steam. Starting today, you may download full versions of the complete DOOM series and QUAKE I - III, including mission packs, as well as id's pioneering PC side-scroller, Commander Keen and vintage favorites Wolfenstein 3D, Spear of Destiny, Heretic, and HeXen.

Includes various comprehensive package deals, one of which is the "id Super Pack": every last id game ever made.

I must admit, as time goes on, Steam is becoming one of my favourite ways to buy games.
Usually good prices with fair international exchange rates and access to any of my Steam games anywhere without having to worry about finding a disk to play.
Having to have an active internet connection is an incredibly minor downside when compared to the convenience.

My only worry with some of the older titles is the fact that they ship in vanilla flavour. Will people who have purchased old id games via Steam be able to use the various popular source ports?

if the Ultimate Doom collection is any indication i'd say yes, i mean for most old source mods you only need the pk's or wads

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-13-2007 01:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can non-steam players play against steam players?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-12-2007 09:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

leilei wrote:
- the dos games lack setup files so you can not redefine controls or start netgames
- they slapped DOSBox on instead of ports, plus they violate the GPL by removing any trace of license and acknowledgement of it (perhaps Valve's doing)

Doom by tself to me isn't fun anymore, go grab GZdoom.

Its a mod for Doom 1, 2, Final that allows full mouse look, keyboard setup, Opengl graphics configuration and basically pwnage.
http://grafzahl.drdteam.org/

download it and you will be happy.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 10-16-2007 06:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was gonna buy it but didn't because Quake 3 doesn't support the steam server browser

Guess id doesn't want my 70$ hard enough

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.