Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends
        Orcs & Elves DS

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Orcs & Elves DS

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 11-22-2007 01:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone got this yet?
Is it worth a look?

For those who don't know, it's Carmack's portable "Eye of the Beholder"-alike.
Take a gander here.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-22-2007 07:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I notice it has strafe, how do you strafe if you are using the stylus? Or can't you?

If it's like Eye of the Beholder I might be interested. That's the only RPG I ever really liked.

It seems you just have one character, though, not a party like in Eye of the Beholder.

I liked the way Hired Guns worked, I played a demo of that, which had the screen split into four for four characters. The trouble with that game was it was too hard, though.

Come to think of it, the DS could work like that cause it has two screens, except the stylus only works on one (!) You probably wouldn't be able to keep the console steady and use the stylus on the top screen anyway.

Maybe they could split both screens in two vertically and have the left side of the bottom screen to control the left top screen and the right one for the right one.

You wouldn't have such free control if you were controlling two characters seperately, though. Somehow it worked in Hired Guns (I think they had AI for auto fighting when one was standing still, Edit: with that part of the screen not selected, that character hence not selected, on auto sentry as it were) but you get more control with just one character.

Maybe what I want's just a multiplayer RPG. I don't like the way they're designed, though. They don't design them like Eye of the Beholder or Hired Guns. I mean with one character for each player, though.

Actually IIRC you could play 2 player in Hired Guns, each player would control 2 of the four characters, half the screen.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-26-2007 12:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't played the DS version, but I did play the mobile one. The DS version looks to be pretty similar, with the exception that it has a "real" 3D engine now rather than the Wolf3D-ish kind of engine the mobile version has.

While the (mobile) game plays surprisingly real-time while in reality it is a turn-based game. For a mobile game it was really entertaining . A bit short, but good nonetheless. I have high expectations of this DS game actually.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-04-2007 06:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-02-2008 01:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've played the game myself for a bit now and I must say it is enjoyable. I may be a bit biased in a positive way because I recognize everything from the mobile game and see how things have only improved, but it's a nice game.

It looks relatively pretty. I'm not sure if the rather static kind of turn-based gameplay the game has really fits the DS, but it's fun to play nonetheless.

And remember, ultimately it's an id Software game so don't expect really involving storylines ;)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-02-2008 01:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat, are you paying attention here? :p

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-06-2008 08:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
And remember, ultimately it's an id Software game so don't expect really involving storylines ;)

Are u saying Q2 has a bad storyline?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-06-2008 11:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's not exactly the pinnacle of storytelling, but I guess it was sufficient for the game.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-18-2008 08:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Paying attention now Eraser.
May get around to picking this up then, but my DS doesn't see much game time any more. If I'm on the train, I'm generally reading, and if I'm at home, it's either PC, Wii or 360.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 12:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh yeah it's been like that for me as well, although I got myself an M3 simply which allows me to play downloaded games (shhhh!). I also got Advance Wars - Dark Conflict which is goooood.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.