Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends
        High res DOOM art

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: High res DOOM art

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-18-2013 05:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some guy turned a 320x240 screenshot from DOOM into a 9600x7211 image and it looks pretty good:

There's also a video which shows the process of drawing the high res image (with overly dramatic music):

Here's the whole blurb

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-18-2013 08:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a good idea but I don't like his style; it's not a patch on the original.

The original used photos of sculptures (for the monsters) and either actual weapons or toy versions of them. Way to downgrade from the original quality.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-18-2013 08:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I bet you could do much better.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-18-2013 09:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whether I could do better or not is beside the point. The point is the original is better cause of the technique they used aswell as the artist or artists being better.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-18-2013 09:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I bet you could do much better.

DTS can't even rub two thoughts together, what makes you think he can draw?

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 02-18-2013 12:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think Eraser was being sarcastic!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-18-2013 12:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I think obs was aware of that. Subtleties get lost in translation sometimes. I do wonder where DTS got the idea from that the appeal of a piece of art is defined by the techniques used. I'd say that's the least important aspect of art. Still, having said that, watching the video makes me realize this guy has a set of artistic skills I couldn't ever hope to achieve. I'm impressed by that.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-18-2013 12:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
The original used photos of sculptures (for the monsters) and either actual weapons or toy versions of them. Way to downgrade from the original quality.

This interests me, are there any pictures of the sculptures and weapons they used?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-18-2013 12:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah that's true. It's on DOOM's wikipedia page as well:
Quote:
The graphics, by Adrian Carmack, Kevin Cloud and Gregor Punchatz, were modelled in various ways: although much was drawn or painted, several of the monsters were built from sculptures in clay or latex, and some of the weapons are toy guns from Toys "R" Us.

Unfortunately there's no source referred. I've seen pictures of sculptures before so they do float around somewhere on the Internet, I'm just not sure where.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-18-2013 12:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oi! Check the external links on this page:

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Models

for instance, here's Adrian Carmack working on the Baron of Hell:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-18-2013 12:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

these are fantastic!

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 02-18-2013 03:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

TIL: The mancubus has six nipples.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-19-2013 12:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

suddenly the mancubus' headsplitting death animation makes a lot more sense.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.