Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Old news?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Old news?

Primal screamer
Primal screamer
PostPosted: 08-20-2006 02:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can copy/paste the osp pak files into the baseq3 directory and play online with the osp features on baseq3 servers... this is old I'm pretty sure.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-20-2006 02:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

??

Primal screamer
Primal screamer
PostPosted: 08-20-2006 03:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nay0k wrote:
Er...?

I know you're from the US according to your esr profile...have you played on a51's baseq3 ctf clan server? That's the only server I know of that allows you to do that, and it's because of a client-side mod called "fokmod." Correct me if I'm wrong though...

aaah, yes. that's the only server I tested it on, I wasn't aware of that.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-20-2006 03:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you're using WinXP, you don't have to copy/paste pk3s.
You have only to hardlink it to save harddrive usage.
Unless the drive is formatted as FATs.

4. Think of the modern merchant as the thief, especially the one in a paper company.
5. It ain't the werld it has to be...

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-20-2006 04:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aaaand no one uses FAT. At least you shouldn't :/

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-20-2006 10:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm still using it for sharing a partition with win98.

4. Think of the modern merchant as the thief, especially the one in a paper company.
5. It ain't the werld it has to be...

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-20-2006 10:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well Win98 is Win98 ;)

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 08-21-2006 10:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MaxGaMin wrote:

What do ya mean?

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 08-21-2006 10:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When you use ase, there is a ctf server listed under osp called njfurious (or something like that). It's really baseq3, the server downloads one of the osp pk3 files into your baseq3 folder, they are using the pk3 file responsible for topshots and the like, I don't think anything else works (like brightskins or custom hud)... but I haven't bothered trying to copy the other osp files into baseq3, maybe it would work.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-21-2006 10:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
MaxGaMin wrote:

What do ya mean?

Googlify 'ntfs hard link' and you'll probably get more info than you'll ever need.

The files on an NTFS volume are referenced by way of a 'hard link' to each file, that defines the file as belonging to a certain position in the file tree. This is why you can move a file around a hard drive and it takes no time to move, because the OS just rewrites the file's hard link reference.

But you can have more than one hard link to a file. A second hard link would place the same file in another folder on the tree, yet it is still the same piece of data on the disk, not a copy.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 08-21-2006 10:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks. You learn something new every day. <3

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 08-21-2006 10:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mmmm pretty nifty shell extension to do just that. http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshel ... llext.html

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 08-21-2006 11:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This seems to be a case of a51 running sv_pure 0? If it's for the reason to allow people to use osp files, then it would be silly considering people can run other hacked files, why not go with osp instead? Or mebbe they like to appeal to the basq3 crowd. :shrug:

I connected to about 4 baseq3 ctf servers trying to see if they would reject the osp files but oddly enough all of them where running sv_pure 0 so it accepted everything, except I didn't have brightskins, dunno how to set that up.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.