Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Need some advice.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Need some advice.

Primal screamer
Primal screamer
PostPosted: 03-23-2006 04:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First of all. Where's a good guide to some more advanced Quake 3 techniques and strategies.

Now. What's/Where's a good place to practice at because I'm getting my butt whooped all the time.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 03-23-2006 04:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Every time you play online it's practice.

Every time you play online and get beated it's good practice.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-23-2006 07:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you make a habit of always getting armor and a good weapon, and then decide where to go (not just keep running at any target with MG) which was the last thing we told you? :) Also, just try to be aware of your surroundings as much as you possibly can, by looking around a lot too. If you can't look around 180 degrees without messing up your movement (when you have to pick up the mouse to put it way back again), your sensitivity is probably too low.

Anyway, if you're getting your ass whooped, that's probably a good thing because you're playing with better players then. That makes it necessary to watch out for every shot an opponent takes at you (good dodging practice).

The most important thing to achieve is that you're always ready and able to look about a second ahead (sometimes less, sometimes more) at movements of enemies. The only way you can hit a dodging player reliably with a rocket, is to predict his moves. Some players make wide dodging moves and some make small ones; if you see someone starting a dodge in one direction, fire a rocket at the place where you think he will move to.

It sounds simple, but most of the time you'll be dodging incoming fire, so there's usually not much time left to analyze and predict moves of enemies. What you gain by practicing is the ability to recognize movement patterns and to make decision much faster, and the fast reflexes to respond to it with accuracy.

It also helps to learn these things by doing them more slowly and consciously. Millions of times people will miss shots because they aim and shoot instinctively at the place where they saw an enemy. The reason most of those shots miss, is because once the shot is fired, the time to carry out the moving of the mouse has taken so much time that the target has already shifted position. With more experience you can do those flick shots (quick turns of the mouse, usually in a straight horizontal/vertical, diagonal line or sometimes an arc), when you're fully alert and prepared to shoot any target.

Primal screamer
Primal screamer
PostPosted: 03-23-2006 07:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

heh yeah I stopped rushing with the mg unless I know I have no chance. I have been doing better than when I started to play though. Can't really say the same for Quake 4 since I can't really tell because it won't run smoothly, atleast it won't come next week when I get my new (outdated) 6200 and gig of ram.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 03-23-2006 08:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what happened to azer's 1v1 guides? they had some decent info for beginners in them.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.