Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Why does it Always ask for cd KEY when i join a game!??!!

Post new topicThis topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Why does it Always ask for cd KEY when i join a game!??!!

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-20-2006 09:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sometimes when i join a game it asks for cd key again and i already put it in once and it was valid even when i start quake3 it asks sometimes so can someone plz tell me how to fix this or tell me why its doing so. plz and thank you.

-alphaleader28

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 08-20-2006 01:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have you read the FAQ? That's what it is for.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-20-2006 01:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Bjoern PB Staff:
As someone brought the cd-key issue up again, I need to adress it.

The 'invalid cdkey', 'mistyped cdkey?' and 'client_unknown_to_auth' messages are not PB-related issues. id Software updated and turned on the master cdkey auth server after the 1.32 patch. As PB was added with 1.32, everyone seems to believe it's due to PB.

I'll give you some help here none the less, as we've been doing a lot of testing with players to get their Q3 to run.

Some players report that deleting the q3key file from the various folders where the game is installed will fix the problem after they re-enter their cdkey one more time. Others say that connecting to servers inside the game instead of using an external game browser such as gamespy or all-seeing-eye will fix the problem.

Sometimes the file holding the cdkey can get corrupted and can cause this problem. In working with other players, we have found that the following fixes this problem:

1) Exit the game
2) Use your windows explorer to browse to the directory where Quake3 is installed
3) Then browse into the 'baseq3' subdirectory
4) Delete the file called 'q3key'
5) Then launch Quake3 from the original Quake3 icon or start | programs menu (i.e. don't launch into a mod or by using GameSpy, etc.)
6) It should at this point ask you for your cdkey, you should re-enter your original 16 character cdkey at this point and exit the game. Be sure to enter the 16 character cdkey on your quake3 cd-case in all lower case letters (e.g. enter 'a' and NOT 'A' from your cd-key). NOTE: If your cdkey has 18 characters, then you are not finding the right key. Team Arena keys have 18 characters, Quake3 keys have 16.

If this does not fix the problem, then perhaps there is some type of firewall or security software blocking your game's communication to id's cdkey auth server. Be sure that UDP port 27952 is open for clear communication if you have a firewall or some type of security software.

Also, we have heard from some players that entering '/timescale 100' into the console when this happens solves the problem immediately for them.

This should fix your problem.

from the faq...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.