Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Anyone else "too old" for Quake 4?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Anyone else "too old" for Quake 4?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 11:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got really competitive with Quake 3. Sometimes I wish I hadn't stopped playing. The time I put into it, however, was killing my marriage and had I let it continue it would have ruined my life. Realizing that, I think I "grew up" a little. (pushing 29 now) I sold my gaming PC and time has healed the wounds. Years later, things are good again finally.

Reading that Q4 is going to show up at E3 has my interest peaked, but somewhere down deep I know I've got no time to invest in playing it competitively. Makes me kind of sad. :(

Anyone else longing for the days of their youth?

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 11:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake-hab / Quakeaholics Anonymous :icon10:

Seriously, i have tried to quit playing this game 3 times, but I can't, it's like crack!

You are never too old for video games, you just need moderation. You could probably get back into it you know, just don't invest as much time as you were before into it :icon14:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 12:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ow man i am so anticipating this game. definitely looking forward to playing competitively again :D

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 12:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Moderation is the key. I'm turning 38 and have no desire to quit gaming. The thing is, I don't let it interfere with my marriage or other parts of my life. If you can tell when to put it down and pay attention to other things then I see no reason to quit altogther.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 12:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Man, I was hoping your little arrow was a link. LOL I need a patch or something.

I guess I'm not too old. I just know I have too much responsibility now. I can't spend 3-4 hours a night playing. This means I'd never get good. I'd always suck and I'd never get better and it wouldn't be fun for me.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 12:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bigfreak wrote:
Man, I was hoping your little arrow was a link. LOL I need a patch or something.

I guess I'm not too old. I just know I have too much responsibility now. I can't spend 3-4 hours a night playing. This means I'd never get good. I'd always suck and I'd never get better and it wouldn't be fun for me.

why don't you just quit your dayjob and instead play LOTS AND LOTS of q4. then beat all the suckers at the tourneys and hope Duhard doesn't show. :D

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 12:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I suck severely at Q3, but that never stopped me from enjoying myself. :)

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 12:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scourge34 wrote:

pervert!
:icon6:

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:

pervert!

Lol. Ok, maybe I enjoy myself a bit too much. :paranoid:

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 12:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:
scourge34 wrote:

pervert!

lol

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 01:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I stopped playing Q3 a few weeks ago due to the fact that I'm way too addicted to it. Oh, and everyone knows I'm too old for computer games. :icon25:

Last edited by DRuM on 04-06-2005 01:33 PM, edited 1 time in total.

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 01:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:lol:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 01:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DRuM wrote:
I stopped playing Q3 a few weeks ago due to the fact that I'm way too addicted to it. Oh, and everyone knows I'm too old for computer games. :icon25:

why did u delete that?

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 01:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bikkeldesnikkel wrote:
DRuM wrote:

why did u delete that?

Because after I posted it I thought it sounded a bit too dramatic,
so a shorter version was better.:)

Last edited by DRuM on 04-06-2005 01:59 PM, edited 1 time in total.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 01:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DRuM wrote:
bikkeldesnikkel wrote:
DRuM wrote:

why did u delete that?

Because after I posted it I thought it sounded a bit too dramatic,
so a shorter version was more better.:)

cool dude i hear ya :icon14:

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 01:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Erm , I didn't mean to say 'more better'. Doh :lol:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DRuM wrote:
Erm , I didn't mean to say 'more better'. Doh :lol:

lol nice touch drum :D

Necro
Necro
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 08:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i stopped playing comp ospctf bout 7 months ago,been playing it for 3 - 4 years,
when i first got into the comp scene i was on the machine from 8pm till 2-3 am,fortunatly my wife likes to go to bed early, so it never really affected the marriage.
but now,im to old, my reflexes are way to slow,and im so over q3.
i still fire up sp now and again, but 5 mins into the map i get bored and i /quit.
im coming up to 51 btw.
i still enjoy my pc games,but i cant see me getting back into comps

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-07-2005 04:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

arent you in LOA busetibi? thought you were still into ctf. now about your wife going to bed early... sneak in and suprise her some nights with your.... company :)

oh and about the topic - I dont play competitively cos im not the competitive sort, I just hang out on a few servers, get a few frags, get slayed by clan players and come back for more of the same, night after night. I wub q3

Necro
Necro
PostPosted: 04-07-2005 04:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sup m8?
yer im still in [LOA] i play pub now and again, but if another OQCL season gets going i cant see myself playing, ill prob ref for it.
pyth is going to own this weekend, shut those fkn retards from WA once and for all, m8 ive been married for 17 years, aint no such thing as "a surprise" after that many years ;)
if and when the next comp starts,get your ass into =PIT= ill have a chat with foo for you :)

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-09-2005 04:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey Buse,
nice to see you got your account sorted :)
pyth, Id forgotten, yeah hes gonna kill it, its a fight for "Next Please" not first really.

If ocql starts again, I reckon it will be a freeze season, what do you reckon the chances are. You going to gtv the games?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 04-09-2005 07:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@bigfreak
Don't be pessimistic.
Though the very fact that your physical body is being rusted day by day and it is not re-installable and re-formatable, unless you make a love then combine with woman and make a back up copy of yourself cannot be denied.
Just go ahead while saving your seeds to be competetive!
You might not be the only one too old. Your PC, too!

4. Think of the modern merchant as the thief, especially the one in a paper company.
5. It ain't the werld it has to be...

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 04-09-2005 09:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MaxGaMin wrote:
@bigfreak
Don't be pessimistic.
Though the very fact that your physical body is being rusted day by day and it is not re-installable and re-formatable, unless you make a love then combine with woman and make a back up copy of yourself cannot be denied.
Just go ahead while saving your seeds to be competetive!
You might not be the only one too old. Your PC, too!

:lol:

diabolical besier hugger in disguise
diabolical besier hugger in disguise
PostPosted: 04-10-2005 10:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

im only looking forward to it for the fancy mappage

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-10-2005 12:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

48 now and yes getting really rusty though still playing 3/4 evenings a week mainly for fun on FFA servers and lo :D to busetibi an DRuM, so pls go and hide bigfreak :p 29 year old man you can still play lots and lots just find the right balance between married life and PC

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-15-2005 01:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If I can't play videogames anymore my life just wouldn't be the same. While I used to play a LOT in my highschool/college days, the last year or so I've played games a lot less.

Reasons for this are working 40 hours a week, finding myself a girlfriend and doing a lot of other things as well.

I'll never completely stop playing games. Ever.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 04-16-2005 04:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm not too old "42" i just probably won't have the time like in did in Quack3 :(

new responsibilities at work and my old lady have zapped all my free time and it SUCKS.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-17-2005 10:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

um, you dont need to play 3-4 hours a night to be good.
Thats like natural talent that you shouldnt really lose. Once you reach your peak of capabilities, you wont get anymore than 3% better or worse no matter what silly tweaks you do or how long you practice. However that 3% can mean a lot in ultra competitive play.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 04-18-2005 07:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey axbaby -- is the guy in your signature that awesome poker player? What is it, van Wyvern or something?

Necro
Necro
PostPosted: 04-19-2005 03:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:
Hey axbaby -- is the guy in your signature that awesome poker player? What is it, van Wyvern or something?

errrr, no [WYD] is a clan.
dunno if its still active though

Necro
Necro
PostPosted: 04-19-2005 03:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

S@M wrote:
Hey Buse,
nice to see you got your account sorted :)
pyth, Id forgotten, yeah hes gonna kill it, its a fight for "Next Please" not first really.

If ocql starts again, I reckon it will be a freeze season, what do you reckon the chances are. You going to gtv the games?

would seem that OQCL are having probs getting staff,the RA3 might get underway in a month or two,dunno whats going to happen with season 9 ctf.
atm, ive only got Vanilla q3 on my machine,and thats only 'cause my youngest daughter likes to play.
im hoping/trying to get some D3 ctf going, but i dont like my chances

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-22-2005 07:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just don't get married, then you can stay up as late as you want, play video games as much as you want, spend all your money on computers, stay on the internet all the time.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 04-23-2005 01:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Being too old is impossible.

piecemaker
piecemaker
PostPosted: 04-23-2005 06:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

<----- will never be to old. :D

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 04-23-2005 06:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

busetibi wrote:
Mogul wrote:

errrr, no [WYD] is a clan.
dunno if its still active though

I meant to say avatar, not signature. :D Heh.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.