Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Game server browser

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Game server browser

Eye-like balls
Eye-like balls
PostPosted: 02-20-2009 06:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Having stayed away from online gaming for a while (for a few years, actually), I decided I'd give a few games a shot. I also discovered, that ASE is discontinued and the trackers are supposedly offline so even if I install it, it wouldn't work anymore. What's the new thing to use? Gamespy [insert version here] used to suck donkey balls, I doubt this fact has changed much.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 02-20-2009 07:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

qtracker

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 02-20-2009 07:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah i was wondering the same thing when I was still playing COD4 and noticed that ASE was defunct. (shame to, that thing was tip top)

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-20-2009 07:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AllSeeingEye?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-20-2009 07:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:dork:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-20-2009 07:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
AllSeeingEye?

Guess what the letters A, S and E stood for...

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 02-20-2009 08:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you guys serious? This is the annual "Lets be dorks" thread, isn't it?

QTracker! DUH.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-20-2009 09:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
xer0s wrote:
AllSeeingEye?

Guess what the letters A, S and E stood for...

Hence the question mark.

Dicks.

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 02-20-2009 10:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I still use the all seeing eye, stil works perfectly fine but im not sure how old this version is, the trial asks me if i would like to buy it after 400 something days of use

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 02-22-2009 12:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
AllSeeingEye?

Moron :olo:

Eye-like balls
Eye-like balls
PostPosted: 02-23-2009 02:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Qtracker seems a bit odd to use at first and it can't find some of the servers (which I remember were visible in ASE a few years back), but it's okay I guess.

Had some games, it's interesting to realise just how much skill is deeply ingrained in muscle memory and your subconcious. It took me just a few hours of playing and other than my aim not being quite up to par yet and teamplay skills being a bit unpolished, movement, dodging etc. is just like I never left.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-12-2009 11:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm suprised noone has mentioned game scanner, or at least I couldn't find it.

I also found qtracker a bit odd but this one is more like ASE

http://www.bdamage.se/news.php

The open source project Game Scanner is a lightweight, non-bloated and low-memory footprint free software for easy browsing of your favorite or any supported internet game servers without starting the game itself.

With just an instant of an click and you're away to join the selected server. It also supports features such as RCON*, in-game minimizing* (for fast and easy switching between desktop and the game) and keeping track of your buddies to see which server they currently is playing on. Integrated mIRC status messaging when joing servers.

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 03-12-2009 12:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's a store near me called Miss Behaving. They have fun items.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-14-2009 06:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-30-2009 10:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

prince1000 wrote:

However, MAXBrowse has no Openarena support, and is limited to Quake games and derivatives (as you said).

I tried both QTracker and Game Scanner, and IMO the latter is a much better program. QTracker's interface is quite confusing, and it is difficult to make the program work across a router (firewall). The interface of GS is simple and intuitive. Also it seems to use the standard master servers (like 'dpmaster.deathmask.net' for Openarena) so it works as soon as the appropriate port on the firewall is opened. OTOH I could not make QTracker work regardless of which ports I opened. :(

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.