Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Missing Skins

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Missing Skins

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-10-2010 01:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It seems that these days, there are very few skin archives for Quake3 out there. There are a number of skins I can't find that I used to have. Heck, I even have conversions of some of these skins for UT99, but can't find them anywhere for Q3. I browsed through the Fileplanet, Filefront, QuakeUnity, and a few other archives, but could not find all the skins I remember, including a few for crash. I did manage to find an ftp archive with all of the missing skins, but I can't download from it!
http://apps.taosystems.net/ftp/ftpsearc ... gstart=300

Here are a few of them I'm trying to obtain:

q3skn-mirage.zip
q3skn-saphiria2047.zip
q3skn-mnemesys-v2.zip
q3skn-outrage.zip

There seems to be a whole lot of files in that ftp archive above that can't be found ANYWHERE. Am I the only one who can't download anything from it?

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 01-10-2010 06:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mirage
I'm not sure if your looking for that, or if you're looking for the Team-Mirage skinpack.

skn-Crash-Mnemesys
That skins a Crash skin..I have it on my computer so I uploaded it to Filefront for you. I made the botfile in there when I downloaded it from Polycount years back, since the Crash botfile is ridiculously easy to beat.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-10-2010 08:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks!

You are right, that is the wrong Mirage file. Is the Team Mirage pack the one that contains all the Crash skins? That's the one I'm looking for. Would you happen to have that one?

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 01-10-2010 11:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Team Mirage

Yes I do..each skin has a botfile, but I haven't edited any of them...they all use Crash's botfiles.

I'm interested in knowing what saphiria2047 and outrage are... I've never heard of them..what are they?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-11-2010 02:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's the one, thanks!

I could be wrong, but I was thinking that saphiria was also a Crash skin. I'm not sure about Outrage, but it looked interesting so I added it to the list. I'm curious what they are too!

I've been creating a bunch of bot files using Bot Studio, so maybe I'll create a harder one for the Mirage skins. I'll take a look at the one you made for Mnemesys. :)

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 01-12-2010 12:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi,

I tried the FTP site you mentioned and it worked w/o problems for me. I have downloaded the four files you wanted and uploaded them to my WEB site. They are in a single ZIP archive that you can find here:

http://menczel.extra.hu/q3skins.zip

FYI, there is a fairly extensive model repository here:

http://ioquake3.org/extras/models/

It contains a dump of the models originally archived at the no longer existing 'polycount' site. No skins though.

Speaker

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-12-2010 03:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How strange, I can download stuff from the ftp now too! Just the other day, I tried a million times with different browsers, methods (save as), etc. and nothing works. Now, they download just fine. :o

Anyway, there are a lot of good finds in this archive! Check out the peachv2 file for a few new Mirage skins (not found in the Team Mirage pack). There are lots of files labeled "v2" at the end. I'm going to go see what they all are now...

On a sad note, I've reached the skin limit for the Crash model, and can no longer see the default skins in the list. I wish there was a way to abolish this limit! I'm not about to start typing /model in the console each time. Well, at least bot files will work. I wouldn't care so much if the custom skins dropped off the list first, but they don't. When the default skins drop off the list first, it really sucks. I've been trying to beg the Ioquake developers lately to remove a few longstanding limits in Quake3. v1l3, you seem like a skin collector; you should go here and join in to help my cause:
http://ioquake.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1548

Edit: Actually, wait a minute! I just realized that the only skins to drop off the list ARE the official skins. Now I'm confused. There doesn't seem to be a limit for custom Crash skins, but once I pass about 30, the official skins disappear! :question:

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 01-12-2010 05:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I make Skin Packs..I use IOQ3, and as you said there are limits, where it's even worse in normal Q3. It isn't just a skin limit in Crash, it can also be affected by having other custom skins or other custom player models you have in your folders also. Do you have just the Crash skins in there, or do you have other skins/player models in there also with them?
There's limits for everything..even maps. Regardless it just takes up too much memory otherwise...where even if they made that possible, it would still cause possible with HunkMegs or whatever.

Like I said , I make Skin Packs which help me to not exceed the limits. If I want to play all of the skins/models, I just change them up by changing Mappacks before booting up a server.

Right now I use:

IN-GAME PLAYER MODEL\SKINS FOR THEM

Anarki\Alien8
Crash\Chiq-Peach+-Tinsel-Arcticmirage-Desertmirage
Doom\Apokalypz-Chain-Fireball-Pappy-Quakemaster-Arcticstorm-Desertstorm
Keel\Daemon_knight
Klesk\Damager-Schism
Ranger\Forgotten Toxic
Sarge\shocker
TankJr\Evilnit Prototype6 Sable Vein CarbonFiber
Uriel\Hma
Visor\Hammer-Ice-Doomknight
Xaero\Minion-NinjaMonk

CUSTOM PLAYER MODELS:

Boiler Bug Bunker CobraCommander Cruentus Enforcer Flamer Guard
Imp LDeath Q4Gladiator Q4-Hybrid Samjai Shebaz Sonic StormTrooper

I don't use the in-game addbot menu, or the in-game skin menu. I make an
exec file botnames.cfg and I \exec botnames.cfg in the console to see
what I have.

This is what that looks like:

echo " ^3Q4Gladiator Q4Panzer Q4-Hybrid"
echo " ^4Q4Gladiator2 Q4Gladiator2vs2-4vs4 Q4Hybrid2vs2-4vs4"
echo "^1______________________________________________________________________"
echo "Anarki Angel Biker Bitterman Bones Cadavre Crash Daemia Death Doom"
echo "Flisk Gorre Grunt Harpy Hossman Hunter ID Keel Klesk Krusade Lucy"
echo "Major Mynx Patriot Phobos Orbb Ranger Sarge Skeleton Slash Sorlag"
echo " Stripe Tankjr Visor Wrack Razor Uriel Xaero Yuriko"
echo " brandon carmack cash paulj tim xian"
echo "^3 Alien8 Daemon_knight Hma Minion NinjaMonk Shocker"
echo "^3 Chiq Peach+ Tinsel Doomknight Hammer Ice"
echo "^3 Arcticmirage Desertmirage Arcticstorm Desertstorm"
echo "^3 Apokalypz Chain Fireball Pappy Quakemaster"
echo "^3 Damager Schism Forgotten Toxic"
echo " Evilnit Prototype6 Sable Vein CarbonFiber"
echo " cobra3 cobra2vs2-4vs4 Imp3 Imp2vs2-4vs4"
echo " ^7stormtrooper2vs2-4vs4"
echo " ^3Bunker Cruentus Flamer Imp Imp_blue Imp_red"
echo " ^3CobraCommander CrimsonGuard Viper"
echo " ^3Samjai Colin Fredjai"
echo "^3StormTrooper StormTrooper_red StormTrooper_blue Sandtrooper"
echo " Fritzkrieg Pi James Janet Callisto"
echo " Boiler Bug LDeath Shebaz Sonic Shadow SuperSonic"
echo " Guard Enforcer"

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-13-2010 03:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That sounds similar to my setup, minus the config files. I also combine all my skins/maps into packs, and swap them in and out using Batch files. I have 2 skin packs, 2 model packs, and about 9 .pk3 files of maps. I keep about half of this installed at a time. I use IOQuake, as well as the UI Enhanced mod. So far, only the default Crash skins seem to have mysteriously disappeared from the player selection screen. I don't know why this is, since I haven't seemed to reach the limit for Crash skins yet (I'm able to add more custom skins without previous Crash custom skins disappearing). As far as I can tell, all the other player skins/models appear in the list (and yes, I have models and other custom skins installed). It sure would be nice if one day somebody abolished some of these Quake3 limits, so I could have all my Quake3 content installed at once.

On a positive note, I found a lot of rare skins in that archive! Seriously, I didn't expect to find so many good ones. I think I ended up adding like 50 skins to my collection. Even the outrage skin ended up being good.

Here is a skin I found for Hunter called "Dragoon". There were several other rare skins I found to be the same quality:

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 01-13-2010 11:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah..I use UIE for checking skins out, it's perfect for viewing models. I dunno about using that Gothic Font though..never liked that all that much.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-14-2010 11:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, I just realized something very annoying with combining skins. It seems that this results in a crapload of shader conflicts. What causes shader conflicts exactly? I've tried looking through the shader files, but I can't find any conflicting names! Why does a shader stop working in one skin when it is combined with lots of other skins? >:(

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 01-15-2010 07:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Missing a texture in the skin?

or...

The last .shader file to be read(which is in order of charachter a-first z-last), will be the one to be read. For example..I have this shader for a Tankjr skin I have:

models/players/tankjr/carbonfiber
{
nopicmip
nomipmaps
{
map textures/effects/carbonfiberspecular.jpg
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
tcGen environment
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
tcmod scale 1 1
}
{
map textures/effects/carbonfibernatural.tga
blendFunc blend
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
tcmod scale 6 6
}
{
map textures/effects/tinfx2.tga
tcGen environment
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
}
{
map models/players/tankjr/carbonfiber.tga
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
blendFunc blend
}
{
map textures/effects/redtubesglow.tga
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
}

}

now....if there is a .shader file that has the same pathway which would be "models/players/tankjr/carbonfiber", the last .shader file that has that will be the main setting. If you have that in a .shader file that is before the last .shader with it, it will be completely erased. This is the source of the problem. This is always caused by people that change the shader but keep the same pathway as the other. Learn to want to punch these people..hehe.
This problem is terrible in maps, as it would be as simple as each mapper changing their pathways...the only way that this can be fixed is to not have both of the skins in your Q3 folder at the same time.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-15-2010 12:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The screwed Shaders are definitely not missing textures. If I remove all shaders in the pack minus the one skin that is screwed, the shader starts working fine again, so it's definitely a conflict. Here is what I don't get... I've found shaders that conflict whenever the paths aren't even remotely the same! Here is an example... These two Doom skin shaders conflict with each other:

Code:
models/players/doom/quake_master_f
{
   {
      map models/players/doom/quake_master_fx.tga
      blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
      tcmod scale 4 4
      tcMod scroll 0.9 10.5
      tcMod turb 0 0.31 0 0.55
      rgbGen identity
   }
   {
      map models/players/doom/quake_master_f.tga
      blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
      rgbGen lightingDiffuse
   }
}
models/players/doom/quake_master_r
{
   {
      blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
      tcmod scale 4 4
      tcMod scroll 0.9 10.5
      tcMod turb 0 0.31 0 0.55
      rgbGen identity
   }
   {
      map models/players/doom/quake_master_r.tga
      rgbGen lightingDiffuse
   }
}
models/players/doom/quake_master_l
{
   {
      blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
      tcmod scale 4 4
      tcMod scroll 0.9 10.5
      tcMod turb 0 0.31 0 0.55
      rgbGen identity
   }
   {
      map models/players/doom/quake_master_l.tga
      rgbGen lightingDiffuse
   }
}

Code:
models/players/doom/omega_f
{   

{
      map models/players/doom/omega_fx.tga
                tcGen environment
                blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO             
                rgbGen lightingDiffuse
   }
        {
      map models/players/doom/omega_f.tga
      rgbGen lightingDiffuse
   }
}
models/players/doom/omega
{   
         {
                map models/players/doom/omega_fx.tga
                blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
                tcmod scale 10 10
                tcMod scroll 0.5 -0.5
                tcMod turb 0 0.3 0 0.25
      rgbGen identity
   }
        //{
   //   map models/players/doom/omega_fx.tga
        //        tcGen environment
        //        blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE             
        //        rgbGen lightingDiffuse
   //}   
        {
      map models/players/doom/omega.tga
       rgbGen lightingDiffuse
   }
}

Is it because they both have the /Doom path? They have different names, but does that matter?

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 01-17-2010 01:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's no conflict there..

The only definite way to find the problem is to figure which .pk3 file creating it. Sometimes I just rename the .pk3 file that's getting messed by and add "z-" to the front of the .pk3's name so it gets read last of all of the .pk3's. If that doesn't work then remove the .pk3's, file by file from your baseq3 folder(or whatever folder)one at a time and test each time you remove a file. Single it out so it puts a big arrow on it pretty much.
I personally have had these problems with map, and never with a skin..so it's somewhat difficult to help you. Like I've had a map with a shader dilemma with the infamous multiplant.shader. The multiplant.shader was made to not be edited with. If someone edited that shaderfile and had a mapname at the end of the alphabet, it would fuck over every map that used that shader in the whole baseq3 folder. The only way for me to single out which map that is, is to remove maps at large scale half by half. I commonly have about 250 maps in there, so I'd take 125 out, and test the map again. If the shader problem dissapeared, that the map is amongst those 125 that I just pulled out. If the map is still showing the error, then those 125 maps that I pulled out aren't the cause of the problem.

See what I'm saying?

Now I've had times where the error can be caused amongst three different maps when their put together. This can become a major headache, because then the confilct isn't from the shader's, it's from something that's in the(.map).bsp like from a .md3 or something, I dunno. First and formost is that you always put the file with the problem in your baseq3 folder with no other file in there except for the pak1-8 files. Don't ever put a file in your baseq3 folder until you've tested it by itself. When you find the .pk3 file that is causing the problem, then put both of the files up so I or whoever else can look at it. I know this may be a bit to much info, but this is how I have done so much testing for people.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 01-18-2010 06:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone have a Grunt skin called Detroit?
It's a good skin I used to have that was on a page someone posted a link to on Q3W before.
I've looked for it online a few times since but not been able to find it. The name dossn't help, really, when using an internet search engine.

Edit: It wasn't on Polycount.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-21-2010 02:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey v1l3, thank you for taking the time to post your tips, but it still really doesn't help me narrow down the shader issues I'm experiencing. I've already used your method of dragging out half the skins at a time, but it rarely works. The problem is that sometimes there appear to be multiple shader files that confict, so even if I keep dragging out files, the problem is never solved. It's too difficult to use this method to track down multiple shader conflicts.

There has to be a better way of searching and finding these conflicts! Your explanation above about what causes conflicts does not really seem to be all of it, because there are shaders with very unique names that have stopped working when mixed with other skins. For example, the Quake_Master shader code I posted above has unique paths such as this:
models/players/doom/quake_master_f
Now, why does this shader stop working when mixed with other skins? If I single it out, it works fine - so there can't be any missing textures. There seems to be more than one skin in my pack conflicting with this one, since the trial and error method does not work (dragging out shaders). I have used a text search program for keywords like "quake_master_f", but no other shaders have this same name. What else causes conflicts in shaders? As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to be the path, unless the name at the end is excluded.

If shader conflicts were caused by duplicate names, I could easily use a text searching program to find the problems and sort them out. But so far, I can't seem to find any common occurrences. The only common occurrence is the main path, such as "models/players/doom/". But a unique name at the end should conflicts, right?

Edit: Oh, and sorry DTS. I searched for that skin a bit, but with no luck.

Edit #2: Well, I fixed all the shaders in one of my skinpacks, but it took a while. What I first did was create a file called "Extras.pk3", which I guess took priority over "Skin_Pack_01.pk3". I then created a shader file in there called "Combined.shader". I started taking every skin with issues and copied & pasted the shader information to combined.shader. After I went through a few hundred skins, I ended up copying nearly half of them to combined.shader. Along the way, I discovered an intruder - "Halcyon.shader". Apparently, this shader for a Xaero skin screws up half of the other shaders in the pack. I'm now pretty sure that this was the only "conflict" in my shaders, but I have theorized that there was one other issue, and that is a shader limit. If I take out Halcyon.shader alone, there are still skins that are missing shaders - but this is fixed by moving half of them to one .shader file. I believe that since I cut the shader files down by half, the skins suddenly worked once again. What a pain!

Quake3 has so many limits, it's criminal.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-25-2010 07:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it could be awesome if someone pick and made the bright & sport skins from quakelive !
here the link for the decoder http://aluigi.org/papers/quakelivedec.zip :D
i try it but i've a problem texture. :cry:

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-25-2010 03:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually, I already did it! It has working shaders, bot files, and all. :D

The question is, can I legally upload it, or will it violate ID terms of Quake Live?

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 01-25-2010 09:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lightning Hunter wrote:

Yeah..fixing half of the problems over and over will cause you to learn a shitload of things in this game. I probably spend more time editing things than playing the game..it's ridiculous. :olo: I go to play online and I never win like I have in the past. I don't quite understand the people that go buy the game and and don't learn anything about changing the game, which only takes a Winzip to open up. How boring can that be?
Your talking about a shaderlimit..I also change and add and remove things in .shader files, but don't get to big on one .shader keep things seperate and leaves notes for yourself to know what you put what and where. That goes the same way with .bot files. I've made a couple .pk3's that just have .shader files, and .cfg file. Like I said to you on whatever topic that was? ..make .cfg files you can exec from the in-game console. Like that bot skinlist.cfg and my my_maplist.cfg which I binded to my "b" and "m" key. You'll learn that the in-game menu is absolutely worthless when you are putting many skins and maps in your baseq3 folder. Skins and Maps do have limits also.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-26-2010 09:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

v1l3 wrote:
Lightning Hunter wrote:

Yeah..fixing half of the problems over and over will cause you to learn a shitload of things in this game. I probably spend more time editing things than playing the game..it's ridiculous. :olo: I go to play online and I never win like I have in the past. I don't quite understand the people that go buy the game and and don't learn anything about changing the game, which only takes a Winzip to open up. How boring can that be?

Haha, you sound exactly like me in this regard. I'm never satisfied with my game installations. I'm always downloading/tweaking/adding/subtracting files until the game is almost beyond recognition. I think this is why I don't really purchase new games. I really love modifying all the older games. My other favorites to tweak are UT99, Quake1, Doom, Duke3d, Worms Armageddon, and I guess Doom3 (probably the only modern game I own that I modify). Oh, and I do sometimes modify UT2k4, but I much prefer older games. I'm a fanatic when it comes to bots. I'm always perfecting the bot play for older games. Just yesterday, I released this pack for the Frikbots in Quake1, which adds support to like 400 user maps. Took me ages to complete.

Quote:
make .cfg files you can exec from the in-game console.

It's a good idea, but I now have everything working great. I have two solid skin/model packs that consist of just about all that you can find on the net, and they all work in the player menu. In all honestly though, I don't really care what my own model/skin is set to. I primarily made these packs so the bots would always look different. UIE has a feature to randomly select bots based on the map script size, and I always use this. With nearly 900 bot files per model/skin pack for UIE to choose from, I rarely see the same bots twice! Oh, and add the thousands of maps I have installed (in two different packs), and I rarely see the same map twice either. :D

Quote:
You'll learn that the in-game menu is absolutely worthless when you are putting many skins and maps in your baseq3 folder. Skins and Maps do have limits also.

I agree. Although I don't use configs like you, I enjoy having UIE randomize everything so that I don't have to use the menus. My absolute favorite way to play older games with bots is to just launch a game, and have everything else done at random. :)

Nothing beats UT99 in the way of modifications. There are no limits in that game. The way I have my UT installation set up, you could play for a year straight without encountering the same type of game twice. I have mutator/mods that do absolutely everything at random (even more so than Quake3). Even the gametypes are randomly changed! You could be using the default weapons one game, then have realistic modern weaponry the next. I think my UT folder is somewhere around 20GB. lol.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 01-26-2010 10:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The frikbot pack looks sweet. Is there a great way to browse and launch DM maps in Quake these days? Something like http://www.quaddicted.com/quake-injector/ for DM maps would be the bestest, but I doubt that exists... I'd hope though that there's something to let you browse/launch maps that you have locally installed.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-26-2010 11:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Johnny Law wrote:
The frikbot pack looks sweet. Is there a great way to browse and launch DM maps in Quake these days? Something like http://www.quaddicted.com/quake-injector/ for DM maps would be the bestest, but I doubt that exists... I'd hope though that there's something to let you browse/launch maps that you have locally installed.

Well, Baker was working on a really sweet launcher for my favorite Quake engine, Qrack, but I'm not sure if he ever released it. He had a thread for it here.

Qrack does have a Maps section in the main menu now, so you no longer have to minimize the game to see what is in your Quake folder or anything like that. Just keep in mind that Quake1 maps don't come with screenshots like the Quake3 maps do, so you can't expect anything fancy.

The Frikbot pack I released comes with a "maps.cfg" file, which allows the Frikbot mod to rotate the maps. My favorite thing to do is turn on random map rotation, so you don't know what will come up next.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-13-2011 02:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok i would love to make a skin of my own...but idk how, so can i ask someone to make it for me or teach me how??

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 09-13-2011 05:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@CrazyKillaMalik: check out the resource section in our Level Editing & Modelling forum.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-15-2011 03:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CrazyKillaMalik wrote:
Ok i would love to make a skin of my own...but idk how, so can i ask someone to make it for me or teach me how??

Man, I miss Q3 skinning. Fun times.
I like how one of my Klesk skins is in someones post next to Schism! The guy who made that skin has had his later work in some quality games and was even hired by idsoftware the last I heard of him.
http://www.horribledeath.com/index.html
His later work is friggin' insane.

I have an extensive collection of downloaded skins if anyone's still missing some good ones, pretty sure all the old models are still available.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.